• Dear forum reader,
    To actively participate in our forum discussions or to start your own threads, in addition to your game account, you need a forum account. You can
    REGISTER HERE!
    Please ensure a translation into English is provided if your post is not in English and to respect your fellow players when posting.
  • We are looking for you!
    Always wanted to join our Support or Forum Team? We are looking for enthusiastic moderators!
    Take a look at our recruitment page for more information and how you can apply:
    Apply
  • Forum Contests

Won't you join us for out latest contest?
    You can check out the newest one here.

Fixed: Lost Points

DeletedUser

I'm sorry to see you've lost so many points, however, in the link that Herluth gave (three posts above yours) is a clear explanation of why this has happened. The hotfix mentioned there happened indeed about 30 minutes ago, so that's why you noticed now that you're points dropped.

DeletedUser3449

thanks for fast reply...yet i pretty much the math guy myself and when i rebuilded my town with high middle age structures i has always checking my score...and for building a brownstone house on top of the frame house i got about 8 points once ...now i see that a bronstone house gave me about 100 points on barren land...maybe less since i get supllies from alchi every 5 min and i think i gathered those before refreshing the page (12 alchi). Anyway i'd think that you should do a ranking by batlle points and that will help everybody including you ppl to keep track of points per player...since i attack all my 42 neighbours every day for the past 2 weeks (and most of the time defeat them all) and i have ppl in my neighbourhood that are not really attacking and still score about 17k points and they don't even have my lvl of development.
I understand this is a hot fix so i take it that my score was not true but still i have doubts about it haveing to drop 4.5k points....i mean this i a lot. Please double check cause by now i'm the only one in my neighbourhood/guild who got "raped" like this...escuse my language.
Thanks again for the fast reply.

DeletedUser

This exploit has been fixed, and the points should be normal now. Thanks guys, and girls. Read here:http://forum.en.forgeofempires.com/showthread.php?4686-Points-update&p=33455#post33455

To Game Support: Please stop euphemising bugs as "exploits". They are two totally different things. Bugs can be exploited sometimes, and bugs can be fixed. In this case most folks were innocent victims, getting seriously annoyed & losing confidence in the points calculation system.

DeletedUser

The effect can be seen throughout Dinegu too - everyone i checked had some points taken, some more some less. Little sideeffect is me being #1 in the neighborhood now by loosing less points than the former champ :D
Either a bug, or an unannounced change in the ways of calculating points?

i have lost all my leadership points

DeletedUser

I posted one as well and its across all servers by the sounds of it. Im in cisgard and i just lost 600 points also. And if everyone across the servers were getting the same points every time they sold a building to build a new one then surely everyone had the same advantage so why the need to drop points.

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser1081

i have lost all my leadership points

do you mean your points in the PvP tournaments?
if so: PvP tournaments end on Sundays and start over again from zero on Mondays. would that explain where your points went?

DeletedUser

To Game Support: Please stop euphemising bugs as "exploits". They are two totally different things. Bugs can be exploited sometimes, and bugs can be fixed. In this case most folks were innocent victims, getting seriously annoyed & losing confidence in the points calculation system.

While most people were innocent victims, there were some players who were knowingly using this to rise in the rankings.
This was referred to as an exploit rather than a bug, because it was a bug that could be exploited. This is of course not the same for all errors that we find in the game.

I posted one as well and its across all servers by the sounds of it. Im in cisgard and i just lost 600 points also. And if everyone across the servers were getting the same points every time they sold a building to build a new one then surely everyone had the same advantage so why the need to drop points.

Yes, this affected all worlds. The reason there was a drop in points is because the points calculation was erroneous before, and has now been fixed, so the calculation is now correct. If your points have dropped, it's because they had been calculated wrongly before.

DeletedUser

Thanks AC04 for the exploit definition. That is what I, and all of us mean by exploit We know everyone is an innocent victim to this problem, but as AC04 mentioned, some were using this to their advantage. I know of one person in particular that used this exploit so much, they dropped over 10k in points after the hotfix. An exploit does not mean you guys were breaking rules, it just means that there was a way to exploit the system in the game, and it was fixed.

Thanks everyone, and to studee, please look at your support ticket.

DeletedUser

Its a good thing I take my time on this game. While everyone rushes to finish everything as soon as possible, the bugs are fixed when I get there. People who find these bugs should get some sort of reward I think, but thats just my opinion.

DeletedUser

While most people were innocent victims, there were some players who were knowingly using this to rise in the rankings.
This was referred to as an exploit rather than a bug, because it was a bug that could be exploited. This is of course not the same for all errors that we find in the game.

OK here's little nitpicking. As a generic term, the meaning of:
exploit (n.)
late 14c., "outcome of an action," from O.Fr. esploit (12c.), a very common word, used in senses of "action, deed, profit, achievement," from L. explicitum "a thing settled, ended, displayed," neut. of explicitus, pp. of explicare "unfold" (see explicit). Meaning "feat, achievement" is c.1400. Sense evolution is from "unfolding" to "bringing out" to "having advantage" to "achievement."

As a computer security term it is also rather well defined. In the context of games its meaning is somewhat similar.

In all cases an "exploit" refers to intentional, premeditated series of actions, or instructions (written in computer or human language) to carry out such actions or the results of such actions. You may "fix" the third meaning, but how do you "fix" those 2 previous meanings? You can only fix the underlying bug, vulnerability, or as in this case, an apparent design flaw. If you "fix" only the exploit, the underlying problems have not been fixed. Surely this is not what you meant?

Adopting this microsoftesque manner of speaking you are only downplaying your own credibility - possibly even as an attempt to shift part of the burden to players - some of who (how many? 3%?) indeed had the nerve to exploit the flaw to their temporary advantage - although even that can not really be proven, only assumed.

My main point once more, friendly advice: Call spade a spade. It was a bug (or rather - do I guess correctly? - a flaw in initial design that allowed bug to manifest). Just admit it honestly, learn from it, don't euphemise or downplay it by language tricks. Doing so gives a slightly dishonest outlook even though you might not mean it at all.

Last edited by a moderator: