• Dear forum reader,
    To actively participate in our forum discussions or to start your own threads, in addition to your game account, you need a forum account. You can
    REGISTER HERE!
    Please ensure a translation into English is provided if your post is not in English and to respect your fellow players when posting.
  • We are looking for you!
    Always wanted to join our Support or Forum Team? We are looking for enthusiastic moderators!
    Take a look at our recruitment page for more information and how you can apply:
    Apply
  • Forum Contests

Won't you join us for out latest contest?
    You can check out the newest one here.

Less Health Less Damage

Status
Not open for further replies.

DeletedUser

Don't want to sound paranoia but how do we know you are a game designer? No tittle or color for your username :)

Well, I can't be bothered to go to the CoMas and get some fancy title in this forum, so you either trust me on this or you don't.

regarding 1 health units doing 5 damage - that shouldn't really be happening.

Assuming equal attack and def scores (e.g. spearman vs spearman), a 1 health spearman should do 2 to 4 points of damage to another spearman, with a median of 3 and a mode of 2 and an avg. damage of 2.86.

For comparison a full health spearman should do 4 to 6 points of damage with median, mode and avg. damage 5.

Regards,

Anwar

DeletedUser

Okay, i will take your word for it :) But on my next battle i will record to have actual proof if it happens

DeletedUser

Anyway, you could say i was veryyyyyyyy unlucky then. Cause i always curse those 1 bar health units when they manage to half my full units.

Well, I can't be bothered to go to the CoMas and get some fancy title in this forum, so you either trust me on this or you don't.

Assuming equal attack and def scores (e.g. spearman vs spearman), a 1 health spearman should do 2 to 4 points of damage to another spearman, with a median of 3 and a mode of 2 and an avg. damage of 2.86.

For comparison a full health spearman should do 4 to 6 points of damage with median, mode and avg. damage 5.

Regards,

Anwar

So does that mean that units have 10 health points?, I'd also have to agree with stefanceltare on this one. When full health Legionnaires get close to my full health slingers they take off ~7 bars of damage, (I'm on the impression they stand for percentage of hp) a 1-3 bar hp legionnaire which I couldn't finish in my turn gets close to another full health slinger and deals the same amount of damage... :-/

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser180

So does that mean that units have 10 health points?, I'd also have to agree with stefanceltare on this one. When full health Legionnaires get close to my full health slingers they take off ~7 bars of damage, (I'm on the impression they stand for percentage of hp) a 1-3 bar hp legionnaire which I couldn't finish in my turn gets close to another full health slinger and deals the same amount of damage... :-/

Correct me if I am wrong, and I am not a dev in any way shape or forum...truth is I am the neighborhood nag.....BUT I am to assume the damage dealt is a coding raffle. It can take between A and B worth of damage, despite the health of the attacking unit. I don't know the stats for the various troops because the graphics on that are a bit hinky for me at the moment. A legionnaire will always smash a direct hit on an archer no matter how their HP is, because archers have little to no defense. I have lost some juice against another troop, but on that same note I have gained some juice. I don't think it is broken, nor do I think the HP of a troop has anything to do with the damage it gives. Just my two cents.

DeletedUser

... I don't think it is broken, nor do I think the HP of a troop has anything to do with the damage it gives. Just my two cents.

The lower a unit's hp is, the lesser damage it deals - that's a fact that should hold for both AI & player controlled units. Somebody was arguing that the AI doesn't seem to go through the same ordeal, and I presented a case where that was how it seemed to be...

DeletedUser180

I got that, but who says that that is the case? I think the way it is set up, the damage given is done by the computer randomly picking between two points. I don't think AI and/or player makes any difference. I have kicked butt on some battles and lost my butt on others. That is my point. I don't think HP has anything to do with damage dealt.

DeletedUser1081

Somebody was [saying] that the AI doesn't seem to go through the same ordeal, and I presented a case where that was how it seemed to be...

you mean that in the case you presented it seemed that the AI had not lost any attacking power even though it was down to 1-3 HP, right? i keep experiencing that too, despite what the good Anwar tells us about how it should work. i'm sure Anwar's code is glowingly excellent, but maybe it's running into interference from someone else's code or something?

Anwar, can you also explain how the healing of units is supposed to work? it's really puzzling people. here's one of many threads about it:
http://forum.en.forgeofempires.com/showthread.php?1812-Units-not-healing

DeletedUser180

you guys kill me.....
just saying. Show me one place it is noted that

With the loss of HP comes a loss of attacking strength.

Until you can show where that is a fact, your whining over an assumption. If your simply whining over an assumption, clean up your spilled milk already.

DeletedUser1081

you guys kill me.....

i gather you haven't read Anwar's posts on page 2 of this thread. he calls it "taking penalties", but what he's talking about is the loss of attacking power when a unit loses HP.

DeletedUser180

I read all three of his posts, but you guys missed the point of "random factor"
It is not a set in stone issue is my point. To expect it would be unreasonable. If a damage spread is 4 points, and an HP is 10 points, to say you will do no damage at 1 hp all the time is not realistic. I have taken out 4 damage HP with a troop that has 1 HP. Your missing his point entirely. It isn't a set calculation. There are perimeters in the coding, that allows the computer to use a raffle system (on both sides) to give damage.

DeletedUser

you guys kill me.....

Until you can show where that is a fact, your whining over an assumption. If your simply whining over an assumption, clean up your spilled milk already.

Regards,

Anwar

I believe an average of 5 is greater than an average of 2.86.... :D

DeletedUser180

I believe an average of 5 is greater than an average of 2.86.... :D
ok. now, track every play for the next day and get back to us, cuz I bet you will find it is probably pretty darn close.

and thank you Randgris...I shall now dump the glass of milk again so folks can continue whining :P

DeletedUser

Please don't let it go to waste and just dump it, lemme drink it instead :D

DeletedUser180

But if you drink it, they can't cry over spilled milk!!! Defeats the purpose of giving them something to whine about :P

DeletedUser1081

... given how stupid the AI is, it doesn't bother me that the opposing units don't seem to lose vigor when they're wounded. as Randgris said somewhere up there, it's a brain/brawn thing.

it's intriguing to hear from the developer that injuries are supposed to weaken the opposing units just like they weaken ours. if players are experiencing something other than the way it's supposed to work, that's interesting too.

so have some popcorn to go with your whine-tasting, dominotx711 dear. it'll do you good :cool:

DeletedUser

then let's cry over something else instead, like spilled earth, water, dead worms, or unemployment :D, seriously though, I just finished a fight against 3 soldiers, 3 warriors and 2 archers using 8 slingers, I did test one soldier out and intentionally didn't kill it at its last 2 bars. Usually soldiers can take off 7-8 bars off my slingers but the poor fella was only able to take off 6 bars... so I don't know, maybe they work like women, sometimes they're in the mood, sometimes you just have to push a lil harder :p

DeletedUser180

then let's cry over something else instead, like spilled earth, water, dead worms, or unemployment :D, seriously though, I just finished a fight against 3 soldiers, 3 warriors and 2 archers using 8 slingers, I did test one soldier out and intentionally didn't kill it at its last 2 bars. Usually soldiers can take off 7-8 bars off my slingers but the poor fella was only able to take off 6 bars... so I don't know, maybe they work like women, sometimes they're in the mood, sometimes you just have to push a lil harder :p
hahahaha yeah, we females ARE the random factor :D

DeletedUser

Everything works just fine - hurt units hit weaker. Player and npc likewise. I battle LMA npcs daily now and its pretty clear.

DeletedUser

Usually soldiers can take off 7-8 bars off my slingers but the poor fella was only able to take off 6 bars...

Keep in mind that slingers have a really bad defense. Slingers will always take severe damage, even against units that have taken a lot of damage, simply because their defense is so low - and that's intentional, as slingers would otherwise completely rule the battlefield.

The effect of reduced attack values because of health will be much more pronounced in a standard infantry fight (e.g. soldier vs. soldier).

Regards,

Anwar

Status
Not open for further replies.