• Dear forum reader,
    To actively participate in our forum discussions or to start your own threads, in addition to your game account, you need a forum account. You can
    REGISTER HERE!
    Please ensure a translation into English is provided if your post is not in English and to respect your fellow players when posting.
  • We are looking for you!
    Always wanted to join our Support or Forum Team? We are looking for enthusiastic moderators!
    Take a look at our recruitment page for more information and how you can apply:
    Apply
  • Forum Contests

Won't you join us for out latest contest?
    You can check out the newest one here.

High Middle Age - Attack and Defense.

• Thread starter DeletedUser6461
  • Start date

DeletedUser6461

But with the offense, how do you keep the archers alive long enough to be effective? I get one shot off each and they're destroyed :-(

Hi BigglesII,

you are right that archers (IA)/crossbows(HMA) have very less defense and normally they die in the very second shot. But in HMA, we do not have much of a choice because these are the only units in HMA that allure or attract the enemy units to hit them first and act as a shield for the long range units.

For an example, if your enemy have the same defense, say 2 archers/crossbows and 6 trebs, normally your archers will move first and will protect the trebs against damage; after the first round you will be able to kill three of the enemy trebs (if used properly) where as you will lose only 1 archer and the other one half hurt. During the start of the second round you will have 6 Trebs and a half hurt archer and the enemy will have 3 trebs and 2 archers. So, on the second round, you can easily kill the balance of three trebs and you will loose only the half hurt archer for sure. the third round will be a walk in the park for you to kill all the 2 archers. so at last all your 6 trebs saved for the next round. considering the production time and healing time of an Archer, the loss of archers are not much of a consideration.

At the same time, if you use heavy infantry or berserker to cover the long range units, you have done a mistake, because the enemy long range unit will not target your heavy infantry or berserker but will attack your trebs directly and you will eventually loss the battle or get damaged seriously.

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser6461

That battle was done in early November 2012 and the new special power units, Rangers, were not introduced at that time. The meaning of "Stealth" was considered as cautiously hiding behind (away from the enemy attacking zone) and waiting for the right time to attack.
I hope it clears your doubt :)

DeletedUser14587

i think best attack is 8 Trebuchets and best defense is 8 knights for HMA if ur opponent have trebuchet or crossbow use the knights in attack :)

DeletedUser6461

i think best attack is 8 Trebuchets and best defense is 8 knights for HMA if ur opponent have trebuchet or crossbow use the knights in attack :)

Good points Djpudz,
8 Trebuchets together will make a great attacking army. However, I would like to see a combo of 6 Trebs and 2 crossbows (i don't prefer Archers here because its range is reduced from 6 to 5 recently) in the offensive set up which will save your trebs from being damaged. But at the same time 8 knights seems to be the best defensive set up at the moment (if you don't want to rotate the defense every day though).

DeletedUser105766

Thank you this advice was helpful.

Your suggestions were very helpful in getting through some tough areas.
Regarding the attack, you only need to keep one unit of High Middle Age to get the PVP points in High Middle Age Tower.

Trebuchets have slights advantages over catapults due to the extra one range, three attack and one defense that they have. You can keep one building if you have already one or two catapults.

Crossbows are not so better than archers as it needs more space (3X3 against 2X2) and more time to build (4 hours against 2 hours) and less range (5 against 6) have some extra defense and attack is the only advantage, so i prefer archers to crossbows (i have still six buildings of them-it's more personal because I love them). having said that in a very tight fight between a very high rated player crossbows win due to their extra defense and extra attack. You can keep one crossbow unit if u have space and money.

Berserkers are good defenders but not so helpful in attacking due to the less reach. however, they are good against knights and other infantry units. Also, heavy infantry are more or less same, better not to keep (my personal thought).

Knights have better reach but are costly in respect of building size and time to heal or re-make. but you need only 4 knights to defeat 8 catapults in attack due to their high attack, good reach and defense. you can keep one unit.

So in total, the best attacking units to win most of the fight in High Middle Age units are 6 trebuchets and two crossbows.
the best defensive units are 4 knights and 4 trebuchets.

To check the table guide for military building and units please click me: http://forum.en.forgeofempires.com/...s-and-expansions&p=40293&viewfull=1#post40293

P.S.: please note that all the above are only my personal opinion and I have the opportunity to win three times continuously in HMA PVP battle among my neighborhood including the current one. This advise is not final. Attack and defense in the PVP tournaments are always depends upon the terrain and the enemy army. so better to keep a look at the enemy military buildings before you plan an attack.

DeletedUser96867

@ Jimbogreat

Note that some of the unit aspects have changed since this thread was created. For example archers and crossbows both currently have a range of 5, not as posted in the OP.

P.S. Please note that in my personal opinion I do not agree with many of the conclusions drawn in the O.P.

DeletedUser7719

Link to the table guide is up to date at least :)

Regarding this guide itself I would have to agree with fischh for the most part, but KJ2K does have a lot of accurate points

DeletedUser105766

Understood thank you. Quick question for your opinion. I hit Cragshire where they combine Great Sword warriors, Heavy Knights, Imperial Guards and Long Bow Archers. I have Trebuchets, Knights, Crossbows and Heavy Infantry. I took out the first 2 areas but I can seem to find right combo to take out the last two with these combos. Suggestions?

DeletedUser96867

It really depends on the exact combination of units you are attacking, and to some extent the terrain of the battle field. If you are going up against many heavy knights you really want a light unit to use. Post the exact unit make ups of the armies you are trying to attack and we'll be able to better advise you.

DeletedUser105766

Thank you I ended up getting Great Sword Warrior's and defeated it. They were all late Middle Age and I had High Middle Age. I realized as I looked at charts I was playing up on last 2 sections sorry but appreciate you being here if needed. Thanks.