• Dear forum reader,
    To actively participate in our forum discussions or to start your own threads, in addition to your game account, you need a forum account. You can
    REGISTER HERE!
    Please ensure a translation into English is provided if your post is not in English and to respect your fellow players when posting.
  • We are looking for you!
    Always wanted to join our Support or Forum Team? We are looking for enthusiastic moderators!
    Take a look at our recruitment page for more information and how you can apply:
    Apply
  • Forum Contests

Won't you join us for out latest contest?
    You can check out the newest one here.

High Middle Age - Attack and Defense.

• Thread starter DeletedUser6461
  • Start date

DeletedUser6461

Regarding the attack, you only need to keep one unit of High Middle Age to get the PVP points in High Middle Age Tower.

Trebuchets have slights advantages over catapults due to the extra one range, three attack and one defense that they have. You can keep one building if you have already one or two catapults.

Crossbows are not so better than archers as it needs more space (3X3 against 2X2) and more time to build (4 hours against 2 hours) and less range (5 against 6) have some extra defense and attack is the only advantage, so i prefer archers to crossbows (i have still six buildings of them-it's more personal because I love them). having said that in a very tight fight between a very high rated player crossbows win due to their extra defense and extra attack. You can keep one crossbow unit if u have space and money.

Berserkers are good defenders but not so helpful in attacking due to the less reach. however, they are good against knights and other infantry units. Also, heavy infantry are more or less same, better not to keep (my personal thought).

Knights have better reach but are costly in respect of building size and time to heal or re-make. but you need only 4 knights to defeat 8 catapults in attack due to their high attack, good reach and defense. you can keep one unit.

So in total, the best attacking units to win most of the fight in High Middle Age units are 6 trebuchets and two crossbows.
the best defensive units are 4 knights and 4 trebuchets.

To check the table guide for military building and units please click me: http://forum.en.forgeofempires.com/...s-and-expansions&p=40293&viewfull=1#post40293

P.S.: please note that all the above are only my personal opinion and I have the opportunity to win three times continuously in HMA PVP battle among my neighborhood including the current one. This advise is not final. Attack and defense in the PVP tournaments are always depends upon the terrain and the enemy army. so better to keep a look at the enemy military buildings before you plan an attack.

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser

I agree, 6 of the best long ranged you can build and two archers are the best offense. For defense I think 4 trebuchets and 4 of the best heavy melee you can build are best. You want something that can take three or more hits, so you can outlast the AI.

DeletedUser6461

Thanks for the reply.
U r right about the Attack. But for the defense by heavy melee units (like heavy infantry in HMA) will not be so helpful because of the less moves that they have, the archers and Trebuchets can kill them by stealth attack. The knights are very agile and can reach any enemy units within the second move.

DeletedUser

Thanks for the reply.
U r right about the Attack. But for the defense by heavy melee units (like heavy infantry in HMA) will not be so helpful because of the less moves that they have, the archers and Trebuchets can kill them by stealth attack. The knights are very agile and can reach any enemy units within the second move.
I dunno--I typically win against knights. Now, I've never faced more than 4. Hmm. Maybe a defense of 8 knights would work. they're pretty expensive to build though, so I don't know that I want to experiment.

I wish we could link to combat replay movies here. It would make us all better fighters.

DeletedUser6461

The defense of 8 knights is very good except it will lose against another 6 or more heavy melee units due to their high defense and counter attack. moreover, the terrain play a big part in getting a nice win without loosing ur army at all. I could grab around 3900 points max. against 5 or more berserkers while playing in HMA.

DeletedUser7137

The defense of 8 knights is very good except it will lose against another 6 or more heavy melee units due to their high defense and counter attack. moreover, the terrain play a big part in getting a nice win without loosing ur army at all. I could grab around 3900 points max. against 5 or more berserkers while playing in HMA.

Is that the defense of 8 Knights or 8 Heavy Knights? I think I will be a very happy attacker if I faced 8 Knights..Fairly easy to kill with melee units..

DeletedUser3157

HMA as a whole has underpowered military units, I'd perhaps even say weakest of any age when it comes to killing them with either less advanced or more advanced units. Crossbow yes is much needed for map since clearing out LMA provinces gets little too hard otherwise, but even they will be short lived in both your town and battlefield due either their poor range or overall since you will get longbow upgrade soon which is a no-brainer. Heavy, light and fast units are all weak. Only exception is trebs which really are stong - with 8 trebs I can defeat pretty much any HMA combo without losses in a good day(except vs 8 trebs). I have numerous nabers who defend with units like 8 berserkers or mix of berserkers/crossbows/knights or actually any sort of 8 HMA units mix and they are all just so weak against HMA long range it takes a really fast map to make me take any hits in. This would never happen with 8 stone throwers vs BA or 8 catapults vs EMA or 8 cannons vs LMA etc. HMA units are just not nearly as stong as they should be, that's also why most good players don't have much trouble finishing HMA provinces on map with much less advanced units.

DeletedUser6461

Almost agreed to all the points mentioned by the Chief Warrant Officer Hint except the fact that i use 4 of my knights to combine with 4 trebuchets to to attack against my neighbors who use 8 catapults for defense. most of the times i lose only 1 knight and 2 catapults due to the high movement and defense of of knights. sometimes catapult needs 5 shots to kill one of the knights. One more point to note: when i attack the 8 catapults i noticed the enemy catapults always take the first two turn and killing one of my catapult before I even start though both catapults and trebuchets have the same movement of 6 paces.

DeletedUser3157

One more point to note: when i attack the 8 catapults i noticed the enemy catapults always take the first two turn and killing one of my catapult before I even start though both catapults and trebuchets have the same movement of 6 paces.

That's because opponent has more units with the exact same movement(8 cats vs 4 trebs). In such scenario the side which has more units of same movement moves first and again and again and again, until both sides have even number of same movement units. At that point both sides will start taking turns 1 by 1. And well fought yes, good job.

DeletedUser6461

Dear Hint,

Thank u very much for this valuable information. it's handy.

DeletedUser6461

Just a point to emphasize the futility of the HMA units compared to the LMA counterparts is the same time requirements for the production of HMA and LMA units (both needs 4 hours to be made).
HMA as a whole has underpowered military units, I'd perhaps even say weakest of any age when it comes to killing them with either less advanced or more advanced units. Crossbow yes is much needed for map since clearing out LMA provinces gets little too hard otherwise, but even they will be short lived in both your town and battlefield due either their poor range or overall since you will get longbow upgrade soon which is a no-brainer. Heavy, light and fast units are all weak. Only exception is trebs which really are stong - with 8 trebs I can defeat pretty much any HMA combo without losses in a good day(except vs 8 trebs). I have numerous nabers who defend with units like 8 berserkers or mix of berserkers/crossbows/knights or actually any sort of 8 HMA units mix and they are all just so weak against HMA long range it takes a really fast map to make me take any hits in. This would never happen with 8 stone throwers vs BA or 8 catapults vs EMA or 8 cannons vs LMA etc. HMA units are just not nearly as stong as they should be, that's also why most good players don't have much trouble finishing HMA provinces on map with much less advanced units.

DeletedUser7137

Just to prove my point on the 8 Knights defense. Though I have to admit, it took me 3 tries before I could win...:D
East-Nagach BA2.png

DeletedUser6965

Just to prove my point on the 8 Knights defense. Though I have to admit, it took me 3 tries before I could win...:D
Wow O.ô respect =) I never tried this, but lost 4,5/8 soldiers, so i could imagine it is very hard to win it with spearmen :D

DeletedUser7137

Wow O.ô respect =) I never tried this, but lost 4,5/8 soldiers, so i could imagine it is very hard to win it with spearmen :D

Thank you... :cool: ..The reason I can do this was because Spearmen are cheap and fast to reproduce..3 times in a row to get that result, the 1st 2 results was 1 Knight and 1 Spear standing..lol..But I'm not sure 8 Berserkers can perform the same feat with 8 Heavy Knights though..Haven't found a map that have 8 Heavy Knights defending yet..(is there any?) :o

DeletedUser6965

Thank you... :cool: ..The reason I can do this was because Spearmen are cheap and fast to reproduce..3 times in a row to get that result, the 1st 2 results was 1 Knight and 1 Spear standing..lol..But I'm not sure 8 Berserkers can perform the same feat with 8 Heavy Knights though..Haven't found a map that have 8 Heavy Knights defending yet..(is there any?) :o

Yes, in the last LMA province called "mount killmore". But u have to use "mercenary" for this, two ages ;)
But mercenaries deal "3-5" damage against heavy knights, so it could be possible ;)

DeletedUser7137

Yes, in the last LMA province called "mount killmore". But u have to use "mercenary" for this, two ages ;)
But mercenaries deal "3-5" damage against heavy knights, so it could be possible ;)

Thank you for the information..I was about to sell my mercenary barracks..They're just eating and drinking now that I'm exploring LMA provinces..not much use for them there, except for getting spanked by those LMAs... ;)

DeletedUser3157

Not to take anything away from you, since this looks like a really epic and great fight, but FYI those are heavy cavs(EMA unit) not knights(HMA unit) ;)

DeletedUser7137

Not to take anything away from you, since this looks like a really epic and great fight, but FYI those are heavy cavs(EMA unit) not knights(HMA unit) ;)

Ouch..I totally missed that..Thanks for pointing it out for me hint..>blushes<
Have to find somewhere with 8 Knights then..But attack with Soldiers, don't think Spears can do it.. ;)

DeletedUser

I agree, 6 of the best long ranged you can build and two archers are the best offense. For defense I think 4 trebuchets and 4 of the best heavy melee you can build are best. You want something that can take three or more hits, so you can outlast the AI.

But with the offense, how do you keep the archers alive long enough to be effective? I get one shot off each and they're destroyed :-(