• Dear forum reader,
    To actively participate in our forum discussions or to start your own threads, in addition to your game account, you need a forum account. You can
    REGISTER HERE!
    Please ensure a translation into English is provided if your post is not in English and to respect your fellow players when posting.
  • We are looking for you!
    Always wanted to join our Support or Forum Team? We are looking for enthusiastic moderators!
    Take a look at our recruitment page for more information and how you can apply:
    Apply
  • Forum Contests

Won't you join us for out latest contest?
    You can check out the newest one here.

Epic Empires - August Competition

Status
Not open for further replies.

DeletedUser

Last day today then this thread will close at midnight ! Thank you every one who has entered, there is also now next months thread for the September competition, good luck to all :D

This months winner will be chosen tomorrow hurry and get your entry in before midnight gmt !!

ddevil

Chief Warrant Officer
I dont know where else to say this so saying it on this thread ... I am sorry if I m out of place ....

WOW!!! But really Wow... I m really shocked that I won the epic empires contest with a simple village of mine ... My happy people in my town are going to be even more happier .... thanks tracey for selecting my entry ... But seriously i never expected to win the contest ... i have been playing the game from morning today and never bothered to check either the forums or my diamonds ...LOL..because I was so damn sure that there will be nothing new to see over there ... LOL... and just now when i logged into the forums I just casually opened that winners post to see who the lucky winner for the month of August is and what do i see ...my name ??? LOL ....so I go back to the game not believing my eyes to check my diamonds and I see that what i saw on the forums is really true ...my simple happy folks from cirgard have won me 1000 diamonds ...LOL

Once again thanks a lot tracey for selecting my City as the winner (now makes me think were u the one who sent me a rep for my write-up??... I m still looking for that person ...LOL) ...and thanks to you too Kimba for the contest ...

regards

ddevil

DeletedUser99445

Well done ddevil. My sincerest congratulations.

Well done to the mods for this choice. Really made a mockery of the whole competition. Shame but no surprise.

ddevil

Chief Warrant Officer

Well done to the mods for this choice. Really made a mockery of the whole competition. Shame but no surprise.

Thanks Gate2.

I don't think its mockery in any sense ... I can guess why I won the prize ... the prize was given for creativity buddy and thats what the actual contest is all about ...I had only simple resources to juggle with as I recently started on that world and I used my creativity to build a story using it ... I think My explanation of my city actually won me the prize than the what the city is ... I built that city with a purpose ...with an idea which i explained in my write up and not just for having some huge buildings in my city... I am not saying this because i won the contest but trying to understand the real reason for my winning it ...

regards

ddevil

Andrew420

Major

You are right Gate2 no surprise on my part. The whole reason I didn't enter contest is how ambiguous the rules FOE have
This just proves it .Nowhere in rules of contest did it say an essay would be considered as well. I'm sure more people would have included one if it was. This was supposed to be an Epic Empires contest. Not a short story with a snapshot of your city contest.

DeletedUser99445

Thanks Gate2.

I don't think its mockery in any sense ... I can guess why I won the prize ... the prize was given for creativity buddy and thats what the actual contest is all about ...I had only simple resources to juggle with as I recently started on that world and I used my creativity to build a story using it ... I think My explanation of my city actually won me the prize than the what the city is ... I built that city with a purpose ...with an idea which i explained in my write up and not just for having some huge buildings in my city... I am not saying this because i won the contest but trying to understand the real reason for my winning it ...

regards

ddevil

What ever you say ddevil....very creative indeed. LOL Can I just ask "which bit"? as I've looked again but I just can't see it LOL.
Congrats again.

DeletedUser99445

You are right Gate2 no surprise on my part. The whole reason I didn't enter contest is how ambiguous the rules FOE have
This just proves it .Nowhere in rules of contest did it say an essay would be considered as well. I'm sure more people would have included one if it was. This was supposed to be an Epic Empires contest. Not a short story with a snapshot of your city contest.

Totally Agree!

DeletedUser99445

Seriously though, Kimba Lioness did state that the criteria was Awe Inspiring or Innovative or Creative and even though it may seem like sour grapes on my part, I just cannot see how the winner meets any of the criteria stated which in itself makes a mockery of the competition.

DeletedUser65431

I just cannot see how the winner meets any of the criteria stated which in itself makes a mockery of the competition.

:confused: Noticeable only by its complete absence is any appraisal of the 'winner'. I can only assume that points are awarded for each word. This month I'll be submitting a stone age town hall and a cut and paste copy of War and Peace. ;)

DeletedUser99445

:confused: Noticeable only by its complete absence is any appraisal of the 'winner'. I can only assume that points are awarded for each word. This month I'll be submitting a stone age town hall and a cut and paste copy of War and Peace. ;)

My old Dad always said, "it's not what you know, its who you know"
I will not be submitting anything for September comp as I am not very popular with the mods and even less now LOL
However I will look at the entries as always and enjoy most of the different views of city construction. Well done everyone and bigger praise for getting an entry uploaded :)

DeletedUser

A big congratulations to Ddevil this months winner! Will leave this thread open a little while to allow others to comment :)

DeletedUser5180

I wanted to congratulate devil seperately before I posted this

I, along with, it seems the others who have posted feel the winning entry to be neither awe-inspiring, innovative or creative. In ddevil's own words, 'it is a simple Bronze Age city'.

By choosing this entry which is just a few bronze age buildings over others who have actual cities that have had a tremendous amount of effort over many many months completely devalues the competition as it has been described.

Perhaps when the competition is judged on having an Epic Empire rather than for writing skills then give me and everyone else a heads up and we might bother posting an entry for September.

ddevil

Chief Warrant Officer
Last edited:

DeletedUser99588

I think ddevil is correct and won the prize based on the description he provided with his city picture rather than the city itself. This is entirely wrong as the entry requests for the following.

Do you have a beautiful city you'd like to share? We are on the lookout for some awe-inspiring, innovative or creative city pics.

Submit an "e-Pic" of your Empire for a chance at grabbing the title of the e-Pic Empire contest!

And we're giving 1000 diamonds to the winner every month.

It's easy to submit your city picture. Simply take a screenshot of your city (it has to be your city!), upload it (Imgur is a pretty good, free, upload site), and then add a link to your picture in a reply below.

It doesn't state create a narrative to go with your city explaining the choice of layout.

I'm sorry to say but I think Kimba has some explaining to do to justify the choice because the winning entry as far as the city itself goes could be knocked up quite easily by most players in a few days barring any buildings won in special events. Hardly awe inspiring.

Congrats anyway to ddevil for gaining 1000 diamonds. I feel you have been lucky to have been judged by a criteria that isn't part of the competition but that isn't down to you.

This isn't sour grapes as I didn't enter the competition. I'm a little disappointed though as the mod team have been making small inroads to improving things and this feels like a big step backwards and can understand why it would put others of from entering in the future.

DeletedUser97349

Although not everyone may agree with the choice, please bear in mind that the competition must be for players in every age, not only those who already have vast cities with many GBs and options for building. ddevil showed that a great deal of thought had been put into the town, which is why it was chosen - for creativity, which is one of the criteria.

DeletedUser99445

yes Thanatos, it is a big step backwards regarding credibility.
Players are warned about breech of rules in the forum by the Moderators and also warned about how they conduct themselves.
Why? has a moderator taken the action of awarding a very basic city as the Most Awe Inspiring or Innovative or Creative City of the month when it quite clearly Is None of those things.
Doesn't that breach the rules in some way?
Getting players interested in something is to be applauded but then to make a mockery of it! Why would you do that?
I personally never expected to win as I have had too many disapproving mails and warnings and posts edited to ever believe I had a chance of winning despite having an awesome city. I understand about being liked and disliked and how the mods are players too etc etc etc but I did enjoy entering and displaying my awesome city until the winner was announced.
Bottom Line......August Competition has lost it's creditability and September Comp has been cleaned up to try to prevent contamination (which had to be done) and No Explanation from Kimba makes for a farce in many players eyes.
Nothing anyone says can justify the winner as it does Not meet the winning criteria in any of the three categories stated by the Competition judge/judges.

Status
Not open for further replies.