• Dear forum reader,
    To actively participate in our forum discussions or to start your own threads, in addition to your game account, you need a forum account. You can
    REGISTER HERE!
    Please ensure a translation into English is provided if your post is not in English and to respect your fellow players when posting.
  • We are looking for you!
    Always wanted to join our Support or Forum Team? We are looking for enthusiastic moderators!
    Take a look at our recruitment page for more information and how you can apply:
    Apply
  • Forum Contests

Won't you join us for out latest contest?
    You can check out the newest one here.

Already Suggested: Default Defense

DeletedUser

Proposal: This is a simple one. The default defense of a city is currently 2 spearfighters (light infantry of the Bronze age). I propose that instead the default defense is simply 2 light infantry from the age the player is currently in. This just makes more sense, as it seems strange to attack a later-age city, particularly Colonial age or higher, and see spears in defense.

On one side of this coin, it is a small boost to aggressive players, since it would normally mean that the default defense is worth more VP's to defeat. This also means that passive/stubborn players cannot thwart aggressive players by removing their defense and making their city worth very few Victory Points (unless they have access to low-point troops, such as rogues, and just place one in defense).

Regardless, a change of this type wouldn't have a major impact for combat decisions (since these "default defense" players are normally attacked anyways by aggressive players), and, whereas I understand this is a game and isn't necessarily "realistic", it does seem odd to roll your army into a 19th-20th century city, filled with industrial buildings, and see a couple of guys wielding pointy sticks as their "defense". :confused:

Amy Steele

General
I really like this idea - it goes a small way towards frustrating those who field a full latest-age army when attacking but leave their city with the default defence so as to deny their neighbours any meaningful points from fighting them. Of course it would always be possible for them to build a spearfighter barracks and deliberately place one or two in defence, but at least they would have to go to the effort and use a little space in their city for the building. I myself use archers or slingers against the 2 spear defences, scoring points and easy medals in the BA or IA towers, thus frustrating those who would frustrate me ;) but I could still continue to do this against anyone who goes to the lengths of building a spearfighter barracks, just to put one or two spearfighters in defence.

a big +1 from me :)

DeletedUser

Nice idea.

As well as arguably being more 'realistic' (although clearly we're not too into realism here), and making some of the PvP defence decisions a bit more 'balanced', it could have an interesting impact on the whole 'playing for medals' sport on lower age towers than the era you're in that Amy touched upon.

For instance a player in the Progressive Era may deliberately keep slingers, archers, catapults, trebuchets, muskets etc in her PE city in order to try to win some weekly medals from towers other than the PE one. With the current merge process (assuming that it works sensibly!) one might expect most neighbours to be in a similar age as oneself ... so in order to get the medals from the bronze age to colonial age, the PE player is almost always relying on finding 2 spearmen defences and hitting them more often with her own slingers etc than the other neighbours managed that week.

Making the 2 light troops into current era (so conscripts in this example, assuming most neighbours are also in PE) makes the whole attacking them with lower aged troops arguably more interesting. Presumably 8 EMA armoured inf (or 8 catapults?) could manage to beat 2 conscripts? ... but how low could you make the attacker's losses?

So in addition to the benefits Sigmar mentions, it might also reduce some of the temptation to keep too much in the way of anachronistic barracks in one's town, while increasing the skill needed to win lower aged towers. I like the idea.
+1 from me

DeletedUser7719

I remember a time where the exact same idea was suggested... The thread was actually closed from no one wanting to support it, but maybe times have changed. I do see a bit more realism here, but this also will prevent higher age players/neighborhoods to take part in the lower towers as you can't use any sort of BA units to take out jaegers or whatnot. (btw, the idea is here)