• Dear forum reader,
    To actively participate in our forum discussions or to start your own threads, in addition to your game account, you need a forum account. You can
    REGISTER HERE!
    Please ensure a translation into English is provided if your post is not in English and to respect your fellow players when posting.
  • We are looking for you!
    Always wanted to join our Support or Forum Team? We are looking for enthusiastic moderators!
    Take a look at our recruitment page for more information and how you can apply:
    Apply
  • Forum Contests

Won't you join us for out latest contest?
    You can check out the newest one here.

Changelog 0.25 Discussion

DeletedUser

Discuss the 0.25 changelog here:

Changelog 0.25

Greetings Kings and Queens,

Bugfixing and smaller improvements are the main focus of this update. The update will take place on January 23rd 2013. Please be aware that there will be a short period of downtime during the update, and we apologize for any inconvenience caused by this.

PvP tower rankings

PvP Tower rankings for each age are now displayed across the top of the event history overview. You can see your current rank in each of the PvP towers for the current tournament you are participating in, and how many medals you will win if you maintain your current rank until the end of the tournament.

eventhistory.png

Confirm prompt when selling buildings

A confirmation window will now appear when selling all buildings, and the sale must be reconfirmed before the building is deleted. As an additional safeguard for Great Buildings, when attempting to sell one of the great buildings a checkbox must manually be ticked in order for the building to be deleted. We hope this will remove the possibility of selling buildings unintentionally.

buildingsaleconfirm.png
gbsaleconfirm.png

A full list of changes is below:

Changes/Features

• The event window now shows your current rank in PvP towers.
  • When selling a building, you will now receive a prompt asking you to confirm the sale. When attempting to sell Great Buildings, a further box must be ticked as an additional check.
  • When attacking another player in a PvP tower, you are now taken to the army management screen before entering battle.
  • In the "build armies" popup, the portrait has been replaced with one of General Grivus.
  • It is now no longer possible for players on the same internet connection to donate Forge Points to each other's Great Buildings.
  • A countdown timer has been added for Great Buildings with coin and supply boost.
  • Guild offers in the "Your Current Offers" tab have been made easier to see, by replacing the letter icon with the guild icon.

Battle changes
  • After returning from a battle, collected totals were not appearing when using the "Collect All" feature. This issue has now been fixed.
  • In some cases it was possible to get stuck in a battle loop after selecting autobattle. This problem has been resolved.
  • When battles ended after the first turn there was a problem storing the battle replay, causing an error. This has now been fixed.

Quest changes

• If a quest required a player to spend Forge points, it was not possible to complete the quest by spending points purchased in the Great Buildings screen. This issue has been corrected.
  • In the quest to "Beautify the City", happiness earned from objects sometimes did not count towards the quest when the objects were built at the same time.
  • The quest window reopened after being closed after visiting 2 neighbors. This has been fixed.
  • Some text/grammatical errors in quests have been corrected: "Rebel Alliance", "Annoy Grivus", "Build Shoemakers" & "Crack Cragshire", "Enter Mount Killmore", "Damsel in Distress".

Bugfixes
  • In the research tree, sufficient material for a research was not always shown in green. This has now been corrected.
  • When creating a trade offer, it was not possible to activate the input field by clicking anywhere in the field. This has now been fixed.
  • There were some cases where the tutorial was activating itself for players in advanced ages. This has now been fixed.
  • Disconnecting and reconnecting the town hall from the roads could cause the game to freeze. This problem has now been resolved.
  • It was not possible to play the game using Internet Explorer 10. This issue has been fixed.
  • Spending forge points earned from great buildings on the great buildings themselves no longer should cause the game to crash.
  • Players did not lose population after deleting the Tower of Babel until the browser was refreshed. This has now been fixed.
  • If an attempt to register to the game resulted in an error message, an empty page was displayed. This problem has now been solved.
  • The button to buy Forge points did not disappear when switching the contributor ranking.
  • St. Mark's boost was ignored when using the Collect All feature on the first pickup. This has been fixed.
  • When trading blueprints there was a problem where it was possible to lose your last copy of a blueprint. This has now been corrected.
  • The amount of happiness needed to reach a delighted state could show zero even though the citizens were not delighted. This problem has been solved.
  • Some layout issues in the "your current offers" tab of the trade screen have been fixed.
  • When creating offers in the trade screen, offering more goods than available would generate an error. This has now been adjusted so that you cannot offer more goods than are available. Where too many goods are offered, this figure is now automatically adjusted to what you have available.
  • In the trade screen, if a trader's name was too long it would get cut off, even if this was by a single letter. This problem has been fixed.
  • When attacking while visiting another player's city, returning to your own city was then displaying the wrong city. This problem has now been fixed.
  • If a building was ready to be collected from, disconnecting the building from roads and then reconnecting it again would cause the collect icon to be missing (though it was still possible to collect the resources). This issue has now been corrected.
  • The sound effects were missing on completion of some decorations. These have now been restored.
  • Clicking on your own Great Building icon in the social bar now returns you to your own city when you are visiting another.
  • In the menu to buy Forge Points, it appeared that the amount of diamonds charged was incorrect (this was a display issue: the diamonds charged were not actually incorrect and a refresh would correct the amount). This problem has been fixed.
  • Some Great Buildings were missing the icon even though they were not at their maximum level. This issue has been resolved.
  • After a Great Building was sold the bonus still appeared to have been applied. This problem has now been fixed.
  • A display issue in the spear fighter barrack recruitment tooltip has been corrected.
  • In the Great Building construction window the buy all button could become unresponsive. This has been fixed.
  • St. Mark's boost sometimes gave one less coin than it should have.
  • In some cases it was possible for two accounts to have the same email address. This issue has now been fixed.
  • It was possible for a players to be incorrectly informed about an unfinished battle. This should now no longer be possible.
  • Some missing Great Building translations have been added.
  • There was a display issue where text was overlapping the date in the message center. This problem has been fixed.
  • The text area for the Longbow Archer Range was overlapping parts of the building status window. This has been corrected.
  • No default text was shown for a guild description text field. This has been corrected.
  • In the town hall profile, the alignment of the city name has been corrected.
  • The checkbox "check" to remove a guild from a forum was too dark to see. This has been fixed.
  • Sometimes the countdown timer on goods was not wide enough, resulting in display problems. This has been fixed.
  • In the user profile, "Offer" and "Needs" overlapped the drop-down menu. This has been corrected.
  • E-mail notifications were still signed by Ragu even after his betrayal. They are now signed by the general instead.
  • Some text errors in the Great Buildings contributions menu were fixed.
  • The boost counter for a Great Building in the status bar did not refresh after collecting coins/supplies. This has been corrected.
  • The text "You can only spend Forge Points on the current level." was incorrect. This now reads: "You can only spend Forge Points for the next level."
  • In the event overview, the wording for trades was confusing (goods switched places). This has now been made clearer.
  • No floating collection icon appeared when collecting Forge Points from Hagia Sophia or Castel del Monte. This has now been fixed.
  • It was possible to plunder more than 24 hours after an attack. This has now been fixed.
  • Clicking on the building status icon on the side bar did not always center the appropriate building on the first try. This has been corrected.
  • Missing dialogues in Province 22 have been added.
  • When a player is kicked from a guild this information now appears in the event overview.

Thank you for your help and support. Your passion for our game is very much appreciated!

Sincerely,
The Forge of Empires Team

DeletedUser

I understand why the new pop-up is in there for selling buildings - however, I think it should not be applied to stone age buildings.

Why? Because, these are most often used to complete quests and are often built just to be sold minutes (or seconds later) and this update will add an extra click to each building used this way. Other than this people very rarely build stone age buildings except in the very early stages of the game so there should not be a downside for most players.

Example: One of the frequent quests that pops up on a loop when all the other CA quest are complete is to gain 1500 happiness - the most efficient way of doing this is to build 84 obelisks (and immediately sell, since few people have 84 spare building squares) so this now requires an extra 84 pop-ups to appear and an extra 84 clicks and lots more annoyance.

DeletedUser

there will be no more quest loop when the new age comes.

True, but that was just one example there are many more examples from all ages and seasonal quest arcs that ask similar things where it is advantageous to do it quickly with stone age buildings. Some examples I can remember off the top of my head (or I wrote spoilers for) are:
  • There was a CA quest to gain 600 happiness
  • Christmas Quest 12: Build a goods and a residential building.
  • Christmas Quest 16: Build 5 Buildings.
  • Halloween Quest 1 - Build any five decorations.
  • Halloween Quest 5 - Build one goods building, one house, one production building, one cultural building, one decoration, one military building and one road from any age.
  • Halloween Quest 6 - Sell 3 buildings to get coins

DeletedUser

those are a one time thing. It doesn't add up to thousands of unnecessary added clicks as you put it.

I may be shooting numbers off my behind here but i think 98% of the players do not sell tens of buildings on a daily basis. Hence, why the selling safety is meant to cater the 98%.

There will always be players with ton of hours to waste by building 84 obeliscs and selling them....every day.
Just like there are players who sell every building several time till they don't have enough to build a single hut.
Just like there are players who don't understand why creating 42 accounts in one world is not allowed.
Or players who think an "average" player (like themselves) collects 16 times from arcade houses every weekend day.

I could go on with the very, very minority of the type of players. I don't judge them or what and how they do, but common sense says:

First: Well done for all the bug fixes in the changelog
Second: *speaking to myself. "Oh, ****. I will not be able to build/sell 84 obelisks that easy.Hmmm..... do they really think there are more people who will sell a GB by mistake than people who build 84 obelisks a day? Probably yes...... (pause)......Maybe i should stick with some other quest loops now instead of asking them to program something customized to me and the other 10-15 players in the whole game who are in this obelisk business.
:)

DeletedUser

Ah, sarcasm is a wonderful thing... it's nice to see that you don't judge people - even though here you are passing judgement.

Firstly, nowhere did I mention thousands of unnecessary clicks... but if you think it adds up to thousands then I am happy to bow to your "superior" statistical analysis. Personally, I do each quest as it comes - so maybe I get the "gain 1500 happiness" quest 3-5 times a week but there are people who will do it 20 times a day.

But anyway - what is the issue with disabling this extra pop-up for stone age buildings? If it makes the game "more" user friendly for 2% of the players without having a down-side for 100% of the players then what is wrong with it? If there is a down-side then please point it out as so far you have been sarcastic and quoting mostly irrelevant statistics.

DeletedUser

If there is a down-side then please point it out as so far you have been sarcastic and quoting mostly irrelevant statistics.

More complex coding and programming, which means.
- using up more human resources under the pressure of completing the product sooner rath.er than later
- using up more financial resources.
More calculations needed to be run through server as the CPU will have to go through several steps to analyze the age of building then pick the course of action, which results to
- added burden on server
- extra loading time and possible lags
- decreasing performance

So, there you have more than "a" downside you asked.

P.S. i was not being sarcastic at your idea. I was being sarcastic at how you insist on staying few inches away from the giant picture in front of you.

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser7837

Good update but looks like donating 0 Forge points to great buildings bug wont fix on .25

DeletedUser

In reverse order...

More calculations needed to be run through server as the CPU will have to go through several steps to analyze the age of building then pick the course of action, which results to
- added burden on server
- extra loading time and possible lags
- decreasing performance

This game has both a client-side (flash player in the user's web-browser run on their local CPU) and a server-side component which can be split up into the server that runs the game (providing dynamic [rapidly changing] content) and the content delivery network (hosting the static [rarely, if ever, changing] content - i.e. images, flash, etc - the large downloads that can be geo-located to multiple servers world-wide so that players can access content from a server in their country rather than across the world).

Opening a pop-up does not require "authorisation" from the server-side, it can be entirely handled on the client-side so there is no need for added burden on the server. You can already see this in evidence as there is no confirmation pop-up required (at all) to delete a road.

Given the tiny volume (a few bytes) of data required to maintain a data structure to determine what building is in which age and the fact that this data only needs to be updated when a new age is released then this could easily be included in the flash file that runs this game on the client-side (which is probably served by the content-delivery network rather than the game server) so it is a white elephant to suggest that there will be an increase in traffic to the game server. Any performance "hit" on the client-side in checking this data structure should be of the order of micro-seconds and would not be noticeable to the user.

More complex coding and programming, which means.
- using up more human resources under the pressure of completing the product sooner rath.er than later
- using up more financial resources.

As I mentioned before, they already handle roads differently to other buildings. It should not be a major change to say "is the building either a road or in the stone age".

However, this is line of argument is something for developers to quantify (since you can present the exact same argument about ANY idea regardless of it's relative worth to the user base) and since it is not something that can be quantified by users of the forum then it holds little weight until the idea reaches the developers and they can quantify its worth vs. the level of investment required to implement.

So, I will repeat again - is there a down-side to this specific idea of "not applying the extra pop-up to stone age buildings"?

DeletedUser

This guy on skype from my guild says and i quote
"terrific, with the new changelog i will never fear of cutting another tree by mistake.....ever again"

So, why don't you consider that part of the client base (who want pop-up on the stone age sale) in your feedback and i will gladly repeat again the answer to the downside of your proposition.

DeletedUser

So, I will repeat again - is there a down-side to this specific idea of "not applying the extra pop-up to stone age buildings"?

Just because the buildings are not important to you does not mean there would not be players that would be upset if they accidentally sold a building they didn't want to. An accidental click on a hunter when a player was trying to remove a road that was behind it could be devastating to a new player.

This would be the equivalent of a player in the Colonial Age saying "Well, obviously EMA and lower buildings aren't important to have in my town so there shouldn't be a popup so that I can get rid of them quickly."

I would also argue that perhaps building and selling a bunch of stone age buildings in order to complete a quest quickly was not the real intention of that quest, and you probably shouldn't be asking developers to make arbitrary changes so that you won't have to click as many times to abuse the repeating quests.

EDIT: The 0.25 patch notes look like a great update and I am looking forward to them.

DeletedUser7837

I agree with Taeriyn
maybe if developers could add a "Never Ask Me Again" Check box to building sell conformation box (just like when you want to spend diamonds) then those who doesn't like to be bothered by this conformation could tick it and never see it again.

DeletedUser6965

there will be no more quest loop when the new age comes.

I don't think so... U can do the loop quests in every age, so even in BA , so why they should be lost when InA came out ? :D

Changelog:
At first: Thx for the new feautures :) And now my criticism and questions ^^

Changelog:
Confirm prompt when selling buildings
A confirmation window will now appear when selling all buildings, and the sale must be reconfirmed before the building is deleted. As an additional safeguard for Great Buildings, when attempting to sell one of the great buildings a checkbox must manually be ticked in order for the building to be deleted. We hope this will remove the possibility of selling buildings unintentionally.
hm?? There is a confirmation window already and always was!? Only the window selling a GB is "new" with 0.25...
but...why u switched the positions of "SALE" and "CANCEL" ??? That will puzzeling me, I know :D

Changelog:
A countdown timer has been added for Great Buildings with coin and supply boost.
Hm? there already is a countdown timer??

Picture of Event History:
From where u take these pictures??? They are in german and the date is March?? huh? :D

I agree with Taeriyn
maybe if developers could add a "Never Ask Me Again" Check box to building sell conformation box (just like when you want to spend diamonds) then those who doesn't like to be bothered by this conformation could tick it and never see it again.
great idea, plz post it in idea section ^^

DeletedUser

Just because the buildings are not important to you does not mean there would not be players that would be upset if they accidentally sold a building they didn't want to. An accidental click on a hunter when a player was trying to remove a road that was behind it could be devastating to a new player.

There is already a pop-up asking if you really want a building deleted for all buildings except roads - all I am saying is that I do not think that stone age buildings (which cannot be GBs since there are no stone age GBs) need to have two pop-ups to ask if you are doing something idiotic; one should be enough.

This would be the equivalent of a player in the Colonial Age saying "Well, obviously EMA and lower buildings aren't important to have in my town so there shouldn't be a popup so that I can get rid of them quickly."

Your words not mine.

I believe the point was that Great Buildings are of all ages except stone age so it makes sense (sort of, if you think your player base can't read the first pop-up) to have an extra pop-up for those buildings to make sure a GB, or something worth a significant amount of resources, isn't deleted; however, stone age buildings are not a huge amount of resources (even in BA) and can be easily replaced.

I would also argue that perhaps building and selling a bunch of stone age buildings in order to complete a quest quickly was not the real intention of that quest, and you probably shouldn't be asking developers to make arbitrary changes so that you won't have to click as many times to abuse the repeating quests.

The developers obviously do not agree as they allow that behaviour to complete the quest. If it was not intended then they should make the quest more explicit as to its requirements and if you want them to have the quest "gain 1500 happiness any way you can except the most efficient way" then you can always propose that as an idea (make sure you use the template).

DeletedUser

Looking amazing, me like :)

The checkbox "check" to remove a guild from a forum was too dark to see. This has been fixed.

What does this mean? What checkbox and what does removing a guild from a forum mean? *puzzled* :P

~Mutzena~

DeletedUser

hm?? There is a confirmation window already and always was!? Only the window selling a GB is "new" with 0.25...
but...why u switched the positions of "SALE" and "CANCEL" ??? That will puzzeling me, I know :D
I think you're right. The first confirmation has always been there. Perhaps there was a glitch now and then when it didn't show and they fixed it.
I think the entire discussion between Martynius and Klevito is void, since the 'double confirmation' will only be applied to the GBs from how I read it. The other confirmation mentioned is just the standard one that's always been there.

Picture of Event History:
From where u take these pictures??? They are in german and the date is March?? huh?
Well, either the devs created a time traveling machine, did some testing and sent the data back to the present..
Or the dates are reversed (like in America), or it's just done on a random machine/server that doesn't check real time and those are just random dates.
I'd go for the time traveling machine though.

I agree with Taeriyn
As I stated at the beginning of this post, the double confirmation is only for the GBs from what I read here.
I don't think anyone is/should be really bothered with the current "Selling this structure will give you XXX" pop up. It's rather informative really, plus anyone can accidentally missclick or forget you had your cursor in $ell mode. Don't think it would be a good idea to remove this.

- L

DeletedUser4089

[snip]all I am saying is that I do not think that stone age buildings (which cannot be GBs since there are no stone age GBs) need to have two pop-ups to ask if you are doing something idiotic; one should be enough.[/snip]

Well, the whole argument was for nothing then, there is only one confirmation(same as before) when selling buildings except GBs. Only GBs have the extra step of a checkbox to confirm you really really want to sell it. (Also still only a single pop-up)

@Mutzena, I think that's for shared guild forums.