• Dear forum reader,
    To actively participate in our forum discussions or to start your own threads, in addition to your game account, you need a forum account. You can
    REGISTER HERE!
    Please ensure a translation into English is provided if your post is not in English and to respect your fellow players when posting.
  • We are looking for you!
    Always wanted to join our Support or Forum Team? We are looking for enthusiastic moderators!
    Take a look at our recruitment page for more information and how you can apply:
    Apply
  • Forum Contests

Won't you join us for out latest contest?
    You can check out the newest one here.

Barbarism or Chivalry? PvP battles

Status
Not open for further replies.

DeletedUser

As this ace game is in beta, here are some thoughts about what could make FOE a better game for those who feeleven though as if they are being bullied by other players in PvP. It is a question of playing styles.
1 Trader: You live to remodel your little city, cramming as many forges, statues, craftshops and statues into the space you have, and enjoy harvesting you're goat cheese which will help you build a school after 50 turns. You don't want to spend money on armies yet, but it upsets you when you come back to the game and find that all your houses and marbleyards have been sacked. You have a bad case of the barbarians.
2 Barbarians: The reason for playing this game is to upgrade your army and even if you go all "Aww!" once in a while as you admire the careful grids of your city, really all you're doing is working out where you can put another Warriors Barracks. You will attack any other player you think you can beat to get medals, which you get through PvP battles, because otherwise you don't get to use your armies and battles are fun. You sack a building of the player you have beaten as a matter of course, as you drive your enemy before you and hear the lamentation of his women (as Arnie in Conan puts it).
3 Knights: As a chivalrous order, you protect the weak and are geared to do battle. See Barbarians above. You build an army, fight the AI, and do noble battle against other players in the PvP tower. You NEVER sack a building against a noble opponent. If you have to attack a player to get the medal points, you send a thank you note to the player (who doesn't lose anything in a defensive battle unless he or she is sacked). After 24 hours you will pollish a building as a thank you. If the player you vanquish has a record of being in first place, buying diamonds for troops and always sacks, then you are allowed to sack.
Knights and Traders working together would beat Barbarians every time.

DeletedUser1081

Knights and Traders working together would beat Barbarians every time.

... that would be nice, but where does the "protect the weak" part enter into this game? not plundering them and giving them good deals in trades doesn't really do enough to protect anyone from the bullies.

DeletedUser4109

Barbarism is a I see since the new patch I am being farm by players 16k to 20k more points them me and their Army's are way more advanced than mine its a bit unfair since I cant get close enough to hit with out killing half my army they should have a system in place that stops players with a higher % of points attacking smaller players

DeletedUser

doesn't really do enough to protect anyone from the bullies

So let me get this straight, I sign up for a game which is based around building an empire, part of building the empire requires getting expansions, to do this i need to fight, a moderator thinks thats bullying! i know i will take flak for posting this, but i think the above quote is bang out of order.

Meant in the kindest possible terms
Watcher

DeletedUser1081

there's a difference between fighting and bullying, Watcher. i quite enjoy fighting for battle points with willing opponents, which is quite different from bullying weaker players.

and please bear in mind that i'm merely a player like everyone else - my opinions about the game don't carry any more weight than anyone else's here in the forum. peace, okay?

DeletedUser

And besides that, you can also get expansions by fighting on the map (and no bullying at all involved there) or by researching the tech tree ;-).

DeletedUser

Well I think there is a case for naming and shaming- and asking other stronger white horse and teach that person a lesson. If enough people did it we might find a very different playing style. Then again I'm quite aaginst "monstering"- and I think some out there do feel as if they are being monstered. Someone who keeps sacking me was kind enough to point out that unless you put strongish troops into your defending army (look at the top of your Army Mangement screen, you have 2 tabs not 1) you will discourage attackers.

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser

Well I think there is a case for naming and shaming- and asking other stronger white horse and teach that person a lesson. If enough people did it we might find a very different playing style. Then again I'm quite aaginst "monstering"- and I think some out there do feel as if they are being monstered. Someone who keeps sacking me was kind enough to point out that unless you put strongish troops into your defending army (look at the top of your Army Mangement screen, you have 2 tabs not 1) you will discourage attackers.

This is not 100% true, Say you are in the Iron age, and have the best possible troop combo for defense that the age allows. if you are attacked by even a modest army of even the next age, you will lose, never mind a LMA army. you may win if you controlled your own army, and I stress may, but you don't the game does, and everyone has to admit, that the IA control of troops in this game leave a lot to be desired

DeletedUser2047

Hate to disagree with one of my guild leaders...

This is not 100% true, Say you are in the Iron age, and have the best possible troop combo for defense that the age allows. if you are attacked by even a modest army of even the next age, you will lose, never mind a LMA army. you may win if you controlled your own army, and I stress may, but you don't the game does, and everyone has to admit, that the IA control of troops in this game leave a lot to be desired

Actually my title is a lie. I love to disagree and raise eyebrows :)

Anyhooo....if you are in the iron age, plant a defensive army of 8 archers or 6 archers and 2 ballistas. It will make a world of difference in how many people attack you and how often you successfully defend

DeletedUser1862

We were starting to have problems in my neighborhood. (after the previous update) I had a friend driven from the game because he was being hit 10 times a day, but it seems that things have settled down. I think it is the result of multiple efforts or the more chivalrous players and primarily communication. I could be wrong. It may be that they just leave me alone because of the variety of things I did.

I tried first and foremost to communicate with the person that plundered me. Not always easy since we have a variety of languages. Simply explaining that while I enjoy PVP, I don't plunder other players and I don't want to be plundered, and asked them nicely to stop plundering me. I explained also that in exchange, I would always place my best units in defense so they were assured both a good challenge and good points, and that I would be happy to trade with them and help them whenever I may.

If a second attack and plunder occurred, I told them more firmly that I believed that plundering below your rank amounted to poor sportsmanship and being a bully. I suggested that there were alternatives available to me that would be much less pleasant than my first offer. I didn't explain those alternatives, because I didn't want to stoop to threats.

Less Pleasant Alternatives
I sent letters to 10 players above or in the same age, asking for their help in teaching player so and so to be more honorable.
I posted in my profile that player so and so liked to "attack and rob old ladies" and asking all other players to consider a trade embargo against player so and so.
I informed my guild that player so and so was not playing in a civilized manner. They attacked said player and sent notes that they would attack and plunder on a daily basis if necessary.
I attacked (but did not plunder) said player and kept watch on his production.
I pointed out to said player, that I had twice attacked and won but not plundered, and told him that I had noted exactly when his production was ripe for picking. I think, I may have "suggested" that information could be shared with my guild or even the whole neighborhood.
I reminded player so and so, of my first offer and that he stood to gain far more playing "civilized PVP" than by being a jerk.

Now, I don't know exactly which part managed to get through. I think it was having my guild mates point out how much he could loose in a day, or it may have been the "poor old lady" card. I've only had to send a second letter once. All the big boys at the top seemed to respect my first request. And yes, I'm one of those that sends letters to people below me thanking them for a good challenge and the points, assuring them I will never plunder, and asking the to contact me if I can help them in any way.

I think another way that people can help the weaker players is to accept trades for items they need even if you don't need what they are offering. Or even if they are in a different guild, I would not hesitate to bring my whole guild to their defense if someone was being a bully. Bullies think little of being attacked and plundered by one or two people, but I suspect they might reconsider getting hit 10 times or more a day and having people refuse to trade with them. I could be wrong and I count myself very lucky that we all didn't end up in some neighborhoods with some of the hard core Barbarians.;)

DeletedUser

mink- yes, I check these quite often. I suppose what I meant is that if say aplayer at the head of their leaderboard, an age or two above the last on the leaderboard, maybe spending money on diamonds, consistently loots the weaker player, then other stronger players might make a point of looting that stronger player. The stronger player might thyen stop looting much weaker players. I can see that as designed the game allows looting, but it would also allow players using certain strategies together to discourage it.

DeletedUser1081

... other stronger players might make a point of looting that stronger player. The stronger player might then stop looting much weaker players.

hm: or s/he might very well feel "see, everybody plunders, so why should i stop"

i think the game needs to set limits on who can be plundered - one of the ideas being voted on in the July Poll discusses ways of doing that.

DeletedUser1862

hm: or s/he might very well feel "see, everybody plunders, so why should i stop"

i think the game needs to set limits on who can be plundered - one of the ideas being voted on in the July Poll discusses ways of doing that.

Huzah!!! Were does one find the poll?

DeletedUser

I told them more firmly that I believed that plundering below your rank amounted to poor sportsmanship and being a bully.

See this i dont get, if i hit someone ranked above me and plunder them, thats fine, but if they hit me back and plunder thats bullying because i've a lower rank? thats just daft. Some peps plunder some dont. Live with it.

DeletedUser3157

Looks like I'm a 'bully'. I was attacked and plundered a lot when I started off playing. It was excpected and i accepcted it, since obviously I was one of the weakest then. But took me being hit once to figure out not to set producition dates ending when you are not around to gather them in time. Not really a rocket science. Or set some defense...

Regarding the rest, who cares if someone takes your 7 gold from your hut or smth, u get new ones in 5 minutes. Now I have grown into the top of the food chain and obviously the winning strategy in this game right now is attacking everyone(unless you are a very heavy diamond user). So if I have time and you are my naber, I'm gonna attack you. And if you left some crap lieing around, I'm gonna plunder it. If you don't like it, go uninstall your FoE, since I just spent my time in this combat. Thats the game right now and if it's gonna be changed, I'm gonna adapt to whatever is the best strategy within the rules of the game then.

I mean seriously how can people in this game whine about attacking/plundering and damage? There is really no way to damage/do anything truely hurtful to an active fellow player in this game. If you get attacked, your troops respawn, you can only be hit once per 24h by same dude, and he can only plunder one of your tens if not hundreds of buildings at once. And only if you are not online at the time of production end date(or he plunders one of your many many houses). If you guys find that "harsh" then idk what games you've been playing in the past.

Or maybe it is a mentality thing that varies in servers? I'm playing the latest E5 and I'd say about 9 of the current top 10 ranked players there attack all their nabers every day(naberhoods are tiny there tho).

DeletedUser

Agreed, its not like evony where you could loose 8 citys in one night if an alliance turns on you. Plus its part of the game, so why quibble.

DeletedUser1862

See this i dont get, if i hit someone ranked above me and plunder them, thats fine, but if they hit me back and plunder thats bullying because i've a lower rank? thats just daft. Some peps plunder some dont. Live with it.

I actually don't like plundering at all, and see the very act as the choice of a bully, period. However; It is an option offered by the game, and I'm willing to accept that is the way some people like to play the game. All things being equal, I would think it should work perfectly well to limit it to those that like to play with plunder. Yes it is different a "little" different if you are hitting folks that have a chance to respond in kind, but it is bullying if you are doing it to folks that have no way to defend themselves yet or no chance of responding in kind. Some people plunder, some don't why can't those that do show the same respect they will forcefully insist on getting themselves???

btw, "live with it" comes across as a rude and a text book response from a bully.

Clearly plundering is a matter of playing style and a personal choice. Please consider that the further in the game you go, the more you have to loose. I don't loose 6 coins when someone plunders one of my houses we are talking 280 or more depending on the house type and the happiness points. I'm not talking about 30 supply points, I'm talking about 1500, and the real issue is the numbers don't matter one wit because when it comes down to it, it is taking coins, points or materials that someone is actively working to collect to progress in the game, and for some people it's not a single hut but 10 every day. I know people that have quit because they were getting farmed on a daily basis.

The definition is in your actions. Just like in a school yard. If you are plundering a plunder loving friend or nemesis, all how choose to play that way, that's not bullying it's playing by mutually agreed upon style and results. When you repeatedly engage in attacking and plundering those that are not on equal footing or have not agreed to it, or in fact have asked you not to, that is poor sportsmanship, disrespect of others choices and style. When you do so to the detriment of others ability to proceed in the game, that is bullying.

As for being part of the game? It's a choice in playing style. Plundering is an option. Nothing more, nothing less. It is not a part of the rules, nor is it a primary focus of the game. Part of the game as an "option" yes, but certainly not a per-ordained requirement that one has to just live with. There are in fact neighborhoods where everyone manages to get along in a very civilized manner and agree to respect each others choice in playing style. Obviously my style is to enjoy a good defensive challenge, rake in the points and thank my opponent for the fun and points. I leave notes thanking them. I'm finding more and more are willing to post defense that way as well, which helps the points for all the pvp towers and tournaments. Everyone seems rather happy with the arrangement. Bottom line. It's all about communication and respect for each other.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.