• Dear forum reader,
    To actively participate in our forum discussions or to start your own threads, in addition to your game account, you need a forum account. You can
    REGISTER HERE!
    Please ensure a translation into English is provided if your post is not in English and to respect your fellow players when posting.
  • We are looking for you!
    Always wanted to join our Support or Forum Team? We are looking for enthusiastic moderators!
    Take a look at our recruitment page for more information and how you can apply:
    Apply
  • Forum Contests

Won't you join us for out latest contest?
    You can check out the newest one here.

100% vs 120% happiness

DeletedUser

So, personal opinions/suggestions here...Which do you prefer?
-------------
1) 100% happiness
-have more space for production/housing to make up for the lost 20% production
-be able to have other player boost your happiness for 24 hours each boost

2) 120% happiness
-more production per building (obviously lol)
-losing space to happiness buildings
-other players can boost a production building, but only counts for one building once
-------------
Currently, Im stuck between the two. I like being able to collect more at one time rather than clicking an extra building or two but players are always boosting my happiness buildings and never production buildings. Keeping happiness at 120% is starting to become ridiculous, as far as space is concerned, and Im just wondering if it would be better to remove those buildings in order to build more housing so i have enough population to build another goods building (which can wait a little while longer). Would I produce more with 120% and less buiildings producing, or more buildings with less production per building with the possibilty of having others boost happiness to 120%?
-------------
Discuss...

DeletedUser

I guess this is more of a personal preference but for me, I prefer the bonus, having 42 buildings (real number) with 20% bonus is better than have 2-3 more buildings with normal production.

I'm too lazy to do it but this could be resolved by math. Calculate how much 20% of all your buildings represent, then figure out which buildings could be added with the space freed by removing the happiness building(s) and compare them.

DeletedUser

I dunno if its just me... maybe I should shower more often or something... but players in my world aren't boosting my happiness building anymore. Perhaps it's because I'm #1 in my neighborhood and they are just not motivated to help me anymore, but it's something of a problem either way. I need the production boost just to keep up, and there's no good way to just shower your population with gold (of which I have plenty).

I'm currently looking for the most efficient way to gain 400 or so happiness at the lowest cost to supplies and space, because whatever I build is likely to get torn back down by the end of the day. :(

DeletedUser

If you are active like me for exapmle 120 happiness is very important....I click like every 15 minutes for 12- 16 hours a day...I work whith the PC all day. But if you just log in like every 4 hours/day the 100 happiness is for you....Glad to answer your question.

DeletedUser

If you're willing to spend 7$, 3 theaters are the cheapest way to boost it quickly.

If not, memorial is cheapest, tavern and inn are good happiness for low cost when memorial can't do it anymore.

If you got the resources for it, the public bath and market place are the most space efficient for their happiness.

DeletedUser

Thanks for the tips hydro, I'll look into those options. Neither the public bath or marketplace are available to me yet, and I think if I filled all my available space with obelisks it might be enough with a cost of 0 supplies. Just tedious to put them all in, then have to sell them to move or buy anything.

DeletedUser

the thing about obelisks is that they really dont provide enough happiness for me anymore. i currently have 1 public bath, a tavern, 2 schools, still have a stone circle lol, and a bunch of gravel road and memorials. to prrovide 120%happiness for 1733 people i need at least 2426, thats about 700 happiness just for that extra 20% (i could eliminate the public bath, tavern, and stone circle and still have enough for 120%). in order for me to build gold and copper goods i would still need to build housing, which would raise the demand for happiness, but that extra boost doesnt affect the goods productions either way. im not sure though, ill wait a few days to increase my coin/supplies a little more and make a decision. i would still like to see more discussion on this topic though, so do continue with your opinions. and thanks for the input so far

DeletedUser

Replace the lower level buildings with the marketplace and you will use a lot less space then.

DeletedUser

I worked this up in a spreadsheet. You can take the 'average' column for what it's worth... not much really other than as a kind of thumbnail glance at total cost/benefit.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

DeletedUser

Sorry pal, your sheet wasn't giving me the info I was looking for so I took the liberty to make my own sheet, hope you won't mind. I found interesting results in cost. I didn't add the premium decorations because decorations sucks in term of happiness per cost and premium decoration even worst.
2012-05-06 22-36-21.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser

No offense taken. Mine goes as far as my research tree, yours is much more complete. I think yours would be better if you actually do the math on the cost/happiness column and divide the two numbers to show the dividend as an integer rather than a ratio... but that's my preference. Yours is also a lot nicer looking than mine; more polished.

Thanks for doing the work :)

DeletedUser

No offense taken. Mine goes as far as my research tree, yours is much more complete. Yours is also a lot nicer looking than mine; more polished, though it took me a bit to figure out that the commas are decimal points and not a fraction bar. Maybe I'm just old :p

Thanks for doing the work :)

DeletedUser124

if there are lots of active players 100% will do it will eventually be 120% because of supports, but in our case where 70-75% are inactive it is very hard to have 120% by relying on other players' support

DeletedUser

I personally prefer 120 percent. If I count all the space the cultural building are taking it is still not enough to place enough houses and supplie works to be equal or more as production with the 20 bonus.
Another thing is that I am collecting every 15 min so for me no question.

DeletedUser

BTW, multiply your current population by 1.4 and you'll see how much happiness you need to provide before they reach enthusiastic level.

DeletedUser

recently i had to make provided happiness on 500 more than the demand for happiness... now this number is more than 700 - why? it is going to be ridiculouse to make 120% productivity.

DeletedUser

recently i had to make provided happiness on 500 more than the demand for happiness... now this number is more than 700 - why? it is going to be ridiculouse to make 120% productivity.

it is ridiculous, i have about 1900 population so i need to provide at least 2600 for the bonus, thats an extra 2-3 cultural buildings just for the bonus

DeletedUser903

Roads are a great way to increase happiness without losing space.

DeletedUser

You will always have to keep up your happiness amount. It is a ratio and not a fixed amount that makes your citizens enthusiastic.

Like said just a few posts up, multiply your pop by 1.4 and that's how much happiness you need to keep that production bonus. It's not ridiculous, it is only logical, the more people you have , the more attractions you need to keep them happy!

DeletedUser

You will always have to keep up your happiness amount. It is a ratio and not a fixed amount that makes your citizens enthusiastic.

Like said just a few posts up, multiply your pop by 1.4 and that's how much happiness you need to keep that production bonus. It's not ridiculous, it is only logical, the more people you have , the more attractions you need to keep them happy!

yes i know the math to do it. for me, it is ridiculous, not saying its a bad thing in the game cause it makes sense. im just trying to figure out if i want to go through the hassle of constantly keeping 120 or let it go down to 100 so i can produce more goods
( more housing instead of happiness buildings)