• Dear forum reader,
    To actively participate in our forum discussions or to start your own threads, in addition to your game account, you need a forum account. You can
    REGISTER HERE!
    Please ensure a translation into English is provided if your post is not in English and to respect your fellow players when posting.
  • We are looking for you!
    Always wanted to join our Support or Forum Team? We are looking for enthusiastic moderators!
    Take a look at our recruitment page for more information and how you can apply:
    Apply
  • Forum Contests

Won't you join us for out latest contest?
    You can check out the newest one here.

Why can you plunder any time?

DeletedUser

Forge of Empires is a really nice game, and I have no issues with the fact that you can plunder other players. That said, as the game is currently set up, a player can return to plunder his opponent at any point during the 24 hours after a successful attack. That doesn't make any sense and, since any player (no matter how advanced) may attack any other player in his neighborhood, it allows late game players to farm important goods off of other players. These attacks are clearly raids; players do not occupy their enemy's town, and the defenders are immediately available to fend off attacks by other players. There is no reason that a player should be able to return at his leisure. Players should only be able to grab from whatever is available when they successfully raid.

DeletedUser2974

Hi DamionFury,

This is quite a good point you have here, even if I might be sad if it is implemented. It really doesn't make sense that you can plunder whenever, but I think they point behind it is that you can both attack once per 24 hours and plunder once per 24 hours, plundering must be done after attacking of course, but either way both can be done at any point during a day.

It might be a good idea to post this as an Idea in the Ideas forum. Just a thought. :)

~Ninga78234

DeletedUser65

the way I look at it is this,
you successfully beat and occupy your neighbor, your troops are in his city and you can plunder it anytime, after 24 hours the defending towns villagers revolt expelling your army, thus eliminating the ability to be plundered, instead allows you to re-attack/occupy

DeletedUser1081

farmerlynch, i love your explanations of the game's lifecycles, rituals and thought processes - the way you describe it makes it all sound so personalized. very charming :cool:

DeletedUser

the way I look at it is this,
you successfully beat and occupy your neighbor, your troops are in his city and you can plunder it anytime, after 24 hours the defending towns villagers revolt expelling your army, thus eliminating the ability to be plundered, instead allows you to re-attack/occupy

That's a nice idea, but it doesn't really hold up. If you attack me, my defenders are still there. Anyone else who attacks my town, afterward, is met by my defenders (not your troops), and your troops aren't pinned in my city. If you had to leave troops behind, to garrison my city, perhaps your explanation would make sense. The fact is, your troops rush in, stop the defenders, grab what they can, and get out. It's a raid. Raiders don't get to lounge around the city waiting for something worthwhile.

Edit: Moreover, the very same troops you sent to attack me are standing at your gates if I retaliate. How could I possibly raise an army to retaliate if I'm occupied, and how could the conquering troops be in your town if they're plundering mine?

DeletedUser

I'm not into plundering and PvP, but this is how I'd picture it:

Your army successfully breaches the enemies gates, taking the remaining foes as prisoners of war.
Marching through the streets, your soldiers turn the dwellings and workshops upside down, seeking
any items of possible value. Having found none, they show mercy by releasing the remaining forces,
to defend what is left of the village.
However, they make clear that they shall return. And then, the villagers should have something to offer...

Nursed by their families and friends, the warriors left regain their strength and thus the courage to repel
the incoming army of the following day.

Just my view ;),
Bloodwyn

DeletedUser2974

Oh goodness, I believe this has gotten away from the game itself and into the logic of it all. Unfortunately there is not always logic in the games we play (in fact most games are built on the illogical)

With that being said, I don't believe this is something that can just be explain away in real terms. It's just the way the game is for now, maybe it will change later. A good way to get this idea out there is to post it in the Ideas thread. :)

~Ninga78234

DeletedUser

However, they make clear that they shall return. And then, the villagers should have something to offer...

Sure, but then I would have a choice about what will be paid as tribute (which is the term for this kind of thing). Alternately, I could try to defend with whatever forces I have available.

Why is this a problem? Because it makes it possible for a handful of late game players to prevent another player from ever being able to access a particular good. It's a domination tool. Sure, it's great for the guys who win, but what about the people that find themselves unable to upgrade and gain access to units that might stand a chance? Pretty quickly those guys quit the game.

DeletedUser

Sure, but then I would have a choice about what will be paid as tribute [...]
Seriously? I don't believe that. The only choices you'd have is whether you'll stall your production or not, and what you'd produce (if anything).
As I've noticed that you've posted a thread to this topic in the ideas section, I'll continue the discussion there.

And, you should know, I don't like the fact that I can be plundered within 24 hrs after my successor has breached my defenses...
I was just aiming at a logical explanation, but as Ninga78234 wrote, "most games are built on the illogical".

Cheers,
Bloodwyn