• Dear forum reader,
    To actively participate in our forum discussions or to start your own threads, in addition to your game account, you need a forum account. You can
    REGISTER HERE!
    Please ensure a translation into English is provided if your post is not in English and to respect your fellow players when posting.
  • We are looking for you!
    Always wanted to join our Support or Forum Team? We are looking for enthusiastic moderators!
    Take a look at our recruitment page for more information and how you can apply:
    Apply
  • Forum Contests

Won't you join us for out latest contest?
    You can check out the newest one here.

Which Unit for which enemy?

-Jovian-

Private
I'm new (end of Iron Age) and I'm sure thus has been asked many times before, but can't find anything via the search.
Is there an easy guide or list of which unit is better for a specific enemy unit?
I've seen that Bronze Age spear-fighters are good against horses, and Iron Age Soldiers are too, as well as against Archers, but I'm encountering other enemy units now, (Legionnaires, Ballistae etc.)
I have Soldier barracks, kept my spearfighter, stone thrower and slinger from Bronze Age (should I get rid?) I can build Archers and Legionnaire barracks but no space yet.
I could do with some advice on which units to use against an enemy army.
Or even better, a Combat Simulator?
Thanks in advance :)

Last edited:

Paladiac the Pure

Major-General
I cannot say anything about a guide, since the game is basic enough not to need it.
Essentially all you need to do is look at each of your units, and it will tell you what units it has attack bonuses against, as well as defense bonus against. And you can do the same thing looking at the enemy units.
Also, the bonus you see on a specific unit now (using Bronze Age Soldier as an example), has a bonus against Fast units (which is called a Mounted Warrior on Bronze Age), both attack and defense, as well as a couple of types of terrain bonus. So a Soldier (which is a Light military unit) would be best used against Fast units.
Each Age you go up, the bonus on attack and defense may change, as well as improve, so when you age up, you should always review. There are only 5 types of military units (which is largely why I say the game is basic enough to not require a guide).
When you are fighting mixed groups of units, then decide what gives you the best bonus, while at the same time minimizing the bonus that the opposing army types have. This might mean attacking with a group of all 8 the same units, or mixing up your own little army.

-Jovian-

Private
Thanks Paladiac, that's what I thought, I'm just lazy that's all!
Like you say, no great shakes to work it out manually and after a while I expect it will be second nature. (but I feel a spreadsheet coming on!)

Last edited:

-Jovian-

Private
Kind of related question so I won't start another thread...
Do I need to build all the different types of army barracks in an age? I have a quest to build mounted horsemen in Iron Age but I wasn't going to bother and try to get through with Archers, Soldiers and Legionnaires.

Paladiac the Pure

Major-General
You only need to build the barrack types of the units you want to use - alternately, you may also want to build other barracks IF a quest asks for it. And just because you build a barrack of something you do not plan on using, does not mean you have to recruit units from such barracks.

GADfan

Warrant Officer
Kind of related question so I won't start another thread...
Do I need to build all the different types of army barracks in an age? I have a quest to build mounted horsemen in Iron Age but I wasn't going to bother and try to get through with Archers, Soldiers and Legionnaires.
Further to what Paladiac said, sometimes you only need to place the barracks (ie, the foundations) to complete a quest, then when you've 'ticked' that quest off you can sell/delete the unbuilt barracks if you don't want/need it