• Dear forum reader,
    To actively participate in our forum discussions or to start your own threads, in addition to your game account, you need a forum account. You can
    REGISTER HERE!
    Please ensure a translation into English is provided if your post is not in English and to respect your fellow players when posting.
  • We are looking for you!
    Always wanted to join our Support or Forum Team? We are looking for enthusiastic moderators!
    Take a look at our recruitment page for more information and how you can apply:
    Apply
  • Forum Contests

Won't you join us for out latest contest?
    You can check out the newest one here.

Visual indicator to differentiate "viewed" items in Event History

DeletedUser

Proposal:
I propose that some sort of visual indicator be added to "viewed" events that have been shown to you previously, so that it is easier to discern at a glance which events are truely new since your last log-in.

Have you Checked the Ideas section for the same idea posted by someone else? Is this idea similar to one that has been previously suggested?
I have checked through the Ideas section as well as used the forum search function and have not seen a similar suggestion.

Reason:
The Event History window is displayed whenever there is new news when you log in, and it contains all recent events within the last five days(I believe?). Sometimes, though, it can be hard to tell which events are "new" since your last log-in, and which events you have already seen but are still considered "recent" events.

Details:
Even though the server timestamp is listed with each event, that is difficult for those of us that live in a different time zone to use effectively. Not only can the time difference be confusing, I don't always remember what time it was that I last checked in anyway.

Examples of how this could come in handy include:
  • I need 60 of a certain good to complete a research
  • I put up 6x 10 trades for that particular good
  • 3x of the trades are taken quickly
  • I log in again later and see the 3x trades in my Event History
  • I am unsure if these were the first three that I saw taken, or if they are new trades that were accepted
  • I now have to go through my Trades screen to double check
or
  • I see that my city is attacked and plundered by a neighbor
  • Only one or two events happen between then and my next log-in, so the attack is still listed near the top
  • I log in and see an attack/plunder near the top of my Event History
  • I get mildly indignant and think "How did someone get through again?
  • I realize it was the one I saw previously and feel silly

Visual Aids:
Example screenshots within spoiler tags.

How the Event History window looks currently when you log in:
xghIEoG.png
A suggested way to implement my proposal on how the Event History window could look:
8nh19Vu.png
Alternate suggested way to implement proposal that might be less intrusive:
7WtVj7T.png
Balance/Abuse Prevention:
Should create no balance or abuse issues, as far as I can tell.

Summary:
This is a low importance idea and may not matter to many people. My time zone (and I assume others) is far enough off from the server time that the current timestamps are not much use for me. This would help me tell at a glance if I have already seen and reacted to recent events, or if they really are new additions to the list. My visual aid is just a rough example of "previously viewed" items being greyed out, but any kind of visual indicator would be fine.

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser

+1

Again, another nice little idea. I know they are not major upgrades but sometimes simple improvements to the user interface as this can make the gaming flow quicker and nicer, look better, and generally be easier to understand. It is simple too, all it needs is for new events to be highlighted in a slightly brighter background and bold text.

I am on the same time as the game server (or only an hour away, not really noticed to be honest) but when I log in I can never remember when I've last logged in, and have been caught out a few times with the 'new events' wondering 'hey, didn't that guy already attack me??' before working out the times and when I was last online.

DeletedUser

+1

I prefer the Alternate method, with the bold text. Maybe rather than the greyed out entries in your first suggestion (which could be a little hard to read), the new ones could be brightened somehow.

DeletedUser

I like the bold text idea... So simple... anything bold you have not read or delt with....

DeletedUser5026

+1 to the idea in general, but I particularly like the bold text, instead of the highlight.

Cheers,
L.R.