• Dear forum reader,
    To actively participate in our forum discussions or to start your own threads, in addition to your game account, you need a forum account. You can
    REGISTER HERE!
    Please ensure a translation into English is provided if your post is not in English and to respect your fellow players when posting.
  • We are looking for you!
    Always wanted to join our Support or Forum Team? We are looking for enthusiastic moderators!
    Take a look at our recruitment page for more information and how you can apply:
    Apply
  • Forum Contests

Won't you join us for out latest contest?
    You can check out the newest one here.

Visual aid to make motivating/polishing more user-friendly

• Thread starter DeletedUser9807
  • Start date

DeletedUser9807

Proposal
When supporting another player’s city, the unavailable buildings are greyed out.

Have I checked for similar ideas?
Yes. Can’t see anything.

Reason
When I visit cities of Guild members in the higher ages they are very complex and (sorry guys) sometimes very cluttered – like mine, so it can be really difficult sorting out all the bobbing stars, particularly when Polishing. This means that a full Guild support can take a long time, and I admit that I sometimes give up looking and just click on anything. By making the support action more user-friendly and less of a chore it should encourage those players who aren’t already to be more supportive, and those who have less time than us saddoes to do it more often.

Details
I have gone to City “X” to support. “X” is firmly in the Colonial Age and would like to have large units polished. I click on “polish” and get anything from dozens and dozens of stars bobbing all over the place, to virtually nothing except for a forgotten tavern up in the right-hand corner which is barely visible on my laptop. If all the production and residential buildings were greyed out, along with all the cultural buildings that have already been polished, I could get an immediate visual fix on what’s available to me. (By the way, does anybody ever want their trees and other decorations polished? Perhaps they could be removed from the polish option after the first couple of ages.)

Visual Aids
Only the obvious ones implicit in the idea.

Balance
Would probably spread the supporting actions out more evenly through a Guild.

Abuse prevention

I can’t see what’s to abuse.

Summary
A simple visual aid that will promote more supporting actions by making the process more accessible.

DeletedUser

I still believe it's up to the visitor whether they'd like to support you by polishing a tree / obelisk or not. Although I'll admit that it's not really that beneficial for the supporter, as he/she loses out on the chance to receive a BP.

As for the idea, I love it! +1 :)

In fact I love the idea so much, I thought I'd upload a visual for it. :D

FoE - City Support Visual_edit.png

I thought this pic is a good example to show the benefit of this idea. I'd have to move the map or hover my cursor over that school at the top to know whether I could polish it. With this idea, I'd now it at first sight.

Regards,
Bloodwyn

DeletedUser9807

Brilliant visualisation. Thanks for doing what I didn't know how to.

DeletedUser

Quelconque & Bloodwyn - well done!

+1 for the idea and the visuals

DeletedUser9807

This idea has even more currency now that people are going around polishing obelisks and trees just to get a chance of a blueprint. I'm seeing stars everywhere!!!

DeletedUser3315

Excellent idea +1 to this from me - it would make things much simpler!

DeletedUser

This idea has even more currency now that people are going around polishing obelisks and trees just to get a chance of a blueprint. I'm seeing stars everywhere!!!

Quite interesting...
as these are the exact structures that will NOT give them... they're stone age, and there is no stone age Great Building.

I wonder how many people realise this?

DeletedUser1176

nice idea +1

Maybe a Icon over the Motivate/Polish Buttons to represent which is the preference of the player (Houses, Workshops, Happiness)

DeletedUser5026

+1 from me too, I sure hope the developers are looking at this thread... =)

DeletedUser

-1 from me. I see I am the lone dissenting voice so far. I believe that the recipient should put the buildings they want polished or motivated front and center so I don't have to scroll around looking for them. If the recipient cannot be bothered to do that then I will polish the first obelisk I see.

This proposal just excuses the recipients from organizing their cities to make it easier for those who would help them. Clean up your cities and put the things you want motivated in the front.

DeletedUser

-1 from me. I see I am the lone dissenting voice so far. I believe that the recipient should put the buildings they want polished or motivated front and center so I don't have to scroll around looking for them. If the recipient cannot be bothered to do that then I will polish the first obelisk I see.

This proposal just excuses the recipients from organizing their cities to make it easier for those who would help them. Clean up your cities and put the things you want motivated in the front.

This might not be achievable if one wishes to organize their city to be the most space efficient though, since a lot of the buildings would be completely different sizes and shapes to put them in any sensible way in the middle.

I think this idea would be nice to have.

~Mutzena~

DeletedUser5026

To GrossEyeEh:

I disagree with your disagreement. For advance players, their towns are naturally large. On top of that, Colonial Age buildings are rather bright, and the star does not contrast well with the colour scheme. No matter how you arrange, some of the buildings are bound to be out of reach, especially if you're in a large guild like me, and everyone is very helpful.

And what if the visiting player is using a laptop, which has a small screen? Scrolling around is inevitable. So in that case, whose fault is it? The player who owns the town, who, in your words, did not "clean up their cities and put the things they want motivated in the front"? Or is it the fault of the visiting player, who should have gotten a 50" LCD TV to play this game?

I agree with Mutzena, proper arrangements can only go so far, and is not always entirely feasible.

DeletedUser

+1 here for making it easier to see eligible buildings, but I don't know about the black & white. Maybe make ineligible buildings opaque? I say this because I occasionally like to check out other cities in all their colorful glory or dread depending.

DeletedUser7719

+1 here for making it easier to see eligible buildings, but I don't know about the black & white. Maybe make ineligible buildings opaque? I say this because I occasionally like to check out other cities in all their colorful glory or dread depending.
Note this should happen only after you click motivate/polish

DeletedUser10490

I agree with byeordie and that way this would be a great improvement. It can be used for Plunder too.