• Dear forum reader,
    To actively participate in our forum discussions or to start your own threads, in addition to your game account, you need a forum account. You can
    REGISTER HERE!
    Please ensure a translation into English is provided if your post is not in English and to respect your fellow players when posting.
  • We are looking for you!
    Always wanted to join our Support or Forum Team? We are looking for enthusiastic moderators!
    Take a look at our recruitment page for more information and how you can apply:
    Apply
  • Forum Contests

Won't you join us for out latest contest?
    You can check out the newest one here.

Veterans

DeletedUser2029

Proposal:
The ability to create up to 8 unattached units that can only be used in defense.

Have you Checked the Ideas section for the same idea posted by someone else? Is this idea similar to one that has been previously suggested?
Checked. None.
EDIT http://forum.en.forgeofempires.com/showthread.php?23014-Making-unattached-military-units (similar, but not exactly...)

Reason:
Heavy PvPers don't like fighting spearmen. Farmers with "best defense is no defense" policy hate to keep military buildings after they've conquered certain age portion of the world map, and that can irritate the first group where at times plundering turns into an act of revenge. So, farmers get to have a defensive force without the waste of space and population military buildings bring.

Details:
- To retire a unit (create a veteran), you'd first have to build a specific building and train it (this idea does not apply to previously unattached units, e.g. reward units and Alcatraz)
- if you want to create a veteran, go to a military building, click on the wanted unit, pop-up appears and offers you to retire that unit
- the price for retirement should be the amount of medals a winner of that age PvP gets, e.g. if you want to retire a bronze age unit, you would have to pay 10 medals for 1 unit.
- the maximum amount of veterans a player could have is 8 (not 8 per age, 8 total)
- when a unit is turned into a veteran, it becomes unattached, but can only be used in defense.
- a veteran unit gets a 10% defensive bonus (that's what the medals are for) that is added to all other bonuses (not an increase in base value)
- when a veteran unit becomes dated (due to your tech progress and better enemies) it can only be permanently deleted to make place for another veteran (the limit of 8 veterans!)

Visual Aids:
sorry none, but it would be nice if the veterans would get a little medals indicator in the army management screen (next to the shield for GB bonus)

Balance:
no change in game mechanics (other changes covered in abuse section)

Abuse Prevention:
because this idea proposes the ability to keep units without their respective buildings it may qualify for "make it easier" abuse, but the limitations proposed prevent this to be abused on a massive scale, and the prices required suggest that this may not be available to a large number of players.

Summary:
Farmers get a defense, PvPers get to fight more, alternative ways to spend medals,...,fun for everyone!

Last edited by a moderator:

. ICE .

Chief Warrant Officer
+1
i am liking this idea
benefits for all

perhaps the medal cost should be a lot higher , as there are limited uses for those ?

DeletedUser2029

@ byeordie

Not even close. My idea applies to a one single soldier at a time (8 max), does not include player interaction and as such is independent from GvG (if it's true that the current system of PvP tournaments will not be significantly changed by GvG).
Still, not a bad idea (Fortify, I mean), but since it's going to be included in GvG anyway ...

@ Lord Ice

the medal cost for BA player is practically impossible (80 medals? When a player collects 80 medals total, he/she is almost at the end of EMA, and we're talking someone who won all tournaments, not a casual farmer in a reasonably active neighborhood)
This idea is meant for LMA or higher (decent supply of medals + Colosseum + Deal Castle) who aren't into PvP. But even if a PvPer would like to abuse this idea (e.g. rotating defense), the sheer amount of medals he/she has would get depleted really fast (veteran must be deleted, to hire a new one you have to pay)

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser

Personally, I would never use "veterans" (I just don't need them), but the idea is interesting, well balanced, and doesn't allow abuse. I will not be against my neighbors having "veteran" defense. The medal cost seems to me a little bit high (although I like the principle), but, anyway, fine-tuning will be performed by devs. I say yes.

DeletedUser15432

I would not use veteran either, and do not think the idea is a good one as it takes medals away from the essential requirement of free expansions. My defence is quite sound anyway

DeletedUser2029

I would not use veteran either, and do not think the idea is a good one as it takes medals away from the essential requirement of free expansions. My defence is quite sound anyway

you are aware that it was announced that there will be other use for medals, not just expansions?