• Dear forum reader,
    To actively participate in our forum discussions or to start your own threads, in addition to your game account, you need a forum account. You can
    REGISTER HERE!
    Please ensure a translation into English is provided if your post is not in English and to respect your fellow players when posting.
  • We are looking for you!
    Always wanted to join our Support or Forum Team? We are looking for enthusiastic moderators!
    Take a look at our recruitment page for more information and how you can apply:
    Apply
  • Forum Contests

Won't you join us for out latest contest?
    You can check out the newest one here.

units in HMA

OrionMnt

Corporal
None of the units are special, I would attack everytime with ranged/rogues the NBhood, so the counter is cavalry, but AI is horrendous with fast units so you can't really use them... probably best defense is some combination of ranged/artillery/rogues.

Powe

Brigadier-General
None of the units are special, I would attack everytime with ranged/rogues the NBhood, so the counter is cavalry, but AI is horrendous with fast units so you can't really use them... probably best defense is some combination of ranged/artillery/rogues.
Rogues in defense?

OrionMnt

Corporal
Of course, early on (earlier ages) they have enough movement to outrun some the other units and the enemy can't ignore them (but am talking about small numbers, 1-2-3)

Powe

Brigadier-General
OK if opponent attacks on Auto but not manual, Rogues end up as one hit fodder when basic units are all dropped first. I've seen some very odd mixes in defence but manual usually takes care of business. For City Guard I would advise LMA units, Heavy and Artillery is a good mix, in attack you can mix and match to suit the enemy and it's a good laugh learning best battlefield tactics for the various combos.
You can't get LMA units in HMA.

Thomas Covenent

Lieutenant-General
Then you must not be playing the same game as the rest of us. Advanced Era Units are available for everyone else. I'm in Colonial with an Industrial City Guard.
Prior to the intro of GBG, I used advanced troops to take the next Era's TTower for better pay-outs. It only needs one in your Army to qualify for higher Era. One needs must be careful not to lose the little blighters though as they don't come up often-unless you're lucky of course and you will not win any Camps for them.

Edit: Side and Bonus Qs, GE and advancing ahead of your current Era on CMap, can all deliver Mil Units from the next or even farther Eras. Many Players seem to miss so much by not bothering with S&B Qs.
You need to be very careful of doing that however, as you can easily screw up your recurring quests & lock them into the higher age rotation. Thus, if you're a player who uses CF boosted recurring quests - especially doable in HMA due to Alchemist spamming, it's advisable not to over scout the world map.
(...or rather, don't risk it until you've gathered up as many goods via CF boosted recurring quests as you feel you'll need to sustain research + weekly GE/GBG play.;))

As for what unit to use in HMA, either;
a) 1x Heavy Inf + 7x Rogues vs. any encounter w/out enemy trebs

b) 8x trebs vs. any encounter w/1-4 trebs & 0 knights

c) 1x Knight + 7x Rogues vs. any combo of 0-4 xbow/knights + 4-8 trebs

Powe

Brigadier-General
Then you must not be playing the same game as the rest of us. Advanced Era Units are available for everyone else. I'm in Colonial with an Industrial City Guard.
Prior to the intro of GBG, I used advanced troops to take the next Era's TTower for better pay-outs. It only needs one in your Army to qualify for higher Era. One needs must be careful not to lose the little blighters though as they don't come up often-unless you're lucky of course and you will not win any Camps for them.

Edit: Side and Bonus Qs, GE and advancing ahead of your current Era on CMap, can all deliver Mil Units from the next or even farther Eras. Many Players seem to miss so much by not bothering with S&B Qs.
You can't be playing the same game as me. I never got LMA units in HMA since the quest "build a tower ruin" can't be completed till LMA.

Powe

Brigadier-General
Poor you, I had them and used them wisely.
In EMA I was taking the HMA Tower, in HMA I was taking the LMA Tower, in LMA the Col Tower and in Col the Industrial Tower. Can't do that without the Mil Units to match the Eras and, as they can't be bought or conjured, they came from the Game. Feel free to disagree, it matters naught to me.
How did you get them then?

Powe

Brigadier-General
In EMA I was taking the HMA Tower, in HMA I was taking the LMA Tower, in LMA the Col Tower and in Col the Industrial Tower. Can't do that without the Mil Units to match the Eras and, as they can't be bought or conjured, they came from the Game. Feel free to disagree, it matters naught to me.
And you can get PE units in CA, you know. Don't forget that.

Any Empire

Sergeant

I've only played a couple of years and have lots to learn, but I've never heard of a way to get LMA troops in HMA, which has been one topic I have spent time researching. Would appreciate knowing how it is done, when the story quest in HMA requires the "tower Ruin" to be built, and a tower ruin requires completing the LMA resaerch " Intelligence"

Best guide I've seen on higher age units is here https://forum.us.forgeofempires.com...ge-units-guide-v1-03.37109/page-8#post-338324

Zeratul 2.0

Lieutenant Colonel
Defence army is just there to scare off *some* intruders, not *all* of them
Because statistically there are more attack boost buildings in the game than defence boost ones
Therefore (advanced age units aside), fast units are preferred as defence.
Fast units move first, and kill off *some* of the enemy units (again not *all*)
Attacker's units are lost for real, defender's units even all dead are still there after the battle.
If the resources plundered are not worth (some of) the units they lost, the attacker will at least hesitate whether to harass you again

Zeratul 2.0

Lieutenant Colonel
Best guide that describes the earliest point possible in the game to obtain "Double Loop" and Advanced Units: https://meowthsite.wordpress.com/2017/03/18/19/
This blog seems abandoned, no longer maintained, and does not even have a title (it has a template title not modified)... which are the characteristics of something left behind by time traveller from the future-future, other civilizations... that's why it is the best.