• Dear forum reader,
    To actively participate in our forum discussions or to start your own threads, in addition to your game account, you need a forum account. You can
    REGISTER HERE!
    Please ensure a translation into English is provided if your post is not in English and to respect your fellow players when posting.
  • We are looking for you!
    Always wanted to join our Support or Forum Team? We are looking for enthusiastic moderators!
    Take a look at our recruitment page for more information and how you can apply:
    Apply
  • Forum Contests

Won't you join us for out latest contest?
    You can check out the newest one here.

Trade is not broken, just accurate

Status
Not open for further replies.

DeletedUser

I think the main issue that people have with the trade system is that their perspective is based on a global economy; this is not exist until modern times, however. In the ages we play if you did not have a resource, you were out of luck - there was some trade, but as a percentage of the countries economy it was very small. Imported products at these times were very expensive and usually took months to get.

Just a thought.

DeletedUser

well sure maybe if neighbourhood size was 3 people that would make sense..

but when you have 70+ inactives in a group its clearly not the way it was intended

DeletedUser

It's just to point out that it took centuries to advance in these ages; the modern person gets cranky with they don't have a new iPhone every 10 months ;)

DeletedUser

It takes longer than an hour to build a house, and much longer to populate it, and then they all have to grow up to work in the mills and on the farms. And you can't pave a city in 10 minutes just because you've made a sacrifice to the gods.

Therefore, trade should reflect this rapid pace. The deep down problem with trade in this game is that everyone can produce everything, therefore no one NEEDS to trade. Why pay over the odds when you can build a factory. Why sell low when you can stop producing, knock the building down, and build a different one.
We can all produce just as much, just as quickly, by building and demolishing. The market is because we want to trade, not because we need to trade.

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser

Trading saves days if not weeks of time though, sitting with 10 forge points while everyone else advances isn't pleasing. But I'm coming from a Neighbourhood with fairly strong trade compared to what I've heard, although getting granite and honey is a little annoying for me as all the top players seem to have Alabaster deposits mixed with either gold or copper. *edit* (Apart from a couple which do have them but they can only produce so much :P)

The problem is definitely NOT because everyone can produce everything, knocking buildings down and rebuilding another, then waiting 5 times as long is time consuming. And who exactly is paying "over the odds" for goods they don't have? Almost all my trades have been a 1:1 ratio. I have all the the Bronze and Iron age goods i'll ever need for research, can you do that without trading by the end of EMA?

DeletedUser1081

anyway there's no reason to defend the present trading situation - the developers are working on fixing it, because it's not working as they originally envisioned it.

DeletedUser

Well its not that broken, it just requires more planning but that's a way to show your skills. So far i am only missing 4 basalt, 38 brass and 34 sillk to have enough for the whole tech trees, and i still have around 650 hours before i need them. It's already doable quite easily with a deficient market, the game will be way too easy when/if the market will be global.

DeletedUser

anyway there's no reason to defend the present trading situation - the developers are working on fixing it, because it's not working as they originally envisioned it.

I'm not defending it, I'm saying if it's not broke, don't fix it. (inactives are a problem that is not really related to the trade system)

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser

This all realy depends on your neighbourhood, in mine there are only 2 persons trading, and seeing i am one of them we made an agreement to trade any goods of an era that we hold a deposit off 1on1 ... now it turns out that we only have 1 good that the other doesn't have. So while it is great for us to trade marble for lumber, and jewels for ebony. That is all the trade i can manage to do, this means i currently run 6 goods in my city (one of which i hold a deposit, which i sometimes switch out for the other deposit, aka. wine/marble). The other ones are all 'slow' goods production units, and by the looks of it my next expansion will need to be occupied with another 4x4 goods production unit if i want to progress at a somewhat reasonable pace, given i can squeeze out enough population to actually sustain it, this will bring total to 7 goods. This does mean though that i lack production buildings for supplies (which tends to become quite obvious from me waiting to get supplies to progress) and also shows in regards to my military options, i will need to make real choices soon if i want to be able to keep up in military strength...

So global or even server trade would realy help, you can concentrate on the goods that you have a deposit off, and maybe one or two buildings that are a bit more rare ... instead of actually HAVING to build all goods production buildings because there is absolutely no other way to attain the goods.

It would also help if you could trade for gold, supply and diamonds on this server/global market, making it easier to attain the stuff you need, while focussing production on the things you already have ...

Status
Not open for further replies.