• Dear forum reader,
    To actively participate in our forum discussions or to start your own threads, in addition to your game account, you need a forum account. You can
    REGISTER HERE!
    Please ensure a translation into English is provided if your post is not in English and to respect your fellow players when posting.
  • We are looking for you!
    Always wanted to join our Support or Forum Team? We are looking for enthusiastic moderators!
    Take a look at our recruitment page for more information and how you can apply:
    Apply
  • Forum Contests

Won't you join us for out latest contest?
    You can check out the newest one here.

Not a Bug: Support to decoration/ cultural buildings fades nearly immediately? BUG!

DeletedUser

World:Houndsmoor

Browser and Version:Firefox Windows XP

Overview of the bug: Polishes/ supports seem to appear and wear off: for example a player supported my amphitheatre at 1143h today and it showed both in messages and on cityview/ happiness index. 5 minutes later it had gone. Player denies having seen/ done any 'cancel' type action.

Screenshots:none

How often this occurs: I'd been wondering about odd missing polish/ support stars for a while but this is my first hard confirmed example.... I think its a common problem... need to ask around...

Urgency:Needs fixing, not going to end anyone's world

Preventative Actions:looks like a code issue?

Summary:A data buffer somewhere seems vulnerable to over-writing?

I have performed a quicksearch : nowt found

Fixing : n/a

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser

Also noted, later today (but previously too), 'pillaged' buildings (2 tanners today) and looking through the news at the time and now several hours later, no attacks or pillages. Seems to have spontaneously become pillaged?!?

Also supported Inn 90 minutes ago, still not showing result/ increase in happiness.....

The building status value seems vulnerable to corruption/ over-writing/ Slow to update, or updating erratically??? Surely a code issue?

DeletedUser7719

Can you put a visual aid? Something you might want to check is that FoE does not scale to your timezone, what looks like 5 minutes from your timezone could be 11 hours and 35 minutes in real life.

DeletedUser

No chamge to building after polish/ support

Can you put a visual aid? Something you might want to check is that FoE does not scale to your timezone, what looks like 5 minutes from your timezone could be 11 hours and 35 minutes in real life.

I don't know how time zone impacts? I'm looking at my support /polishing messages in real time (the pop up 'news' interruptions are a real bore IMHO, but helpful to ID this problem). My Inn and market have both been treated and message confirmed but hours later no impact. My 2 tanneries that were pillaged today have no message in my news items to suggest how they changed status, even looking back several days.

Do you think the code depends on local date-time setting? If it does not update until the receiver's local time matches the donor's local date-time at the moment of polishing, that'd be odd but at least ought to be a quick fix!

But there' s missing data here: I can't see how that's the case with what we've got. Stars appear and disappear out of synch, don't appear when done, appear when not done.... y'see?

DeletedUser2206

Often when we polish or motivate, we are not the only one in that city. I often polish or motivate, then see that both options are now greyed out, but the 24 hrs does not appear beneath the name of the person whom I just visited. A refresh and back to that city will again give me the options available, and at that time I notice that the one building I thought I did, is no longer available to be boosted. That means that someone else was in that city at the same time as I was, so I just select another building to boost. It is not a bug; it is just that you were not alone, and someone beat you to it.

DeletedUser

As byeordie said, messages in the event history are geared towards the GMT+1 timezone - and therefore may differ from your own time zone if you're living elsewhere in the world.

Also, could you please confirm whether we are just looking at disappearing "support stars" - or that you're building is not boosted at all? If it's the first, it's only a graphical error (confusing though, I admit). More information is welcome!

DeletedUser

Problems to do with this:
1. Polish/support news message but nothing happens, or happens at a time very different from that of news message
2. Polish/ support news message and the opposite happens (loss of the polish/support that was there)
3. Building becomes plundered, but no news message at any time about how that occurred in news section (I've checked -48hrs to +36 hrs)
4. News messages about activities interrupting play, and no new news messages visible among news items. (frequent pestiferous interruptions can be very annoying, and frankly who cares if someones polished a tree!)

Puablo

Corporal
3. Building becomes plundered, but no news message at any time about how that occurred in news section (I've checked -48hrs to +36 hrs)

Might be the wrong track, but are you sure they were plundered and not just rotted away?

DeletedUser

Messages and building status

Might be the wrong track, but are you sure they were plundered and not just rotted away?

- Soon after buildings produce goods what would make them revert to 'plundered'? Is there a random 'rot' factor?
-Why do we get interrupted with so many 'new news' occurrence messages, often soon after logging in, and each of the several messages auto-open the news page, and there are usually no new messages on the list (after the first): seems like a related fault that logs events in a 'fragile' way.

DeletedUser

To be honest, Puablo makes a valid remark:
could you please let us know if you see a lightning bolt above your buildings, or a fish? - if it's a fish, then indeed it was no plunder, and therefore there will not have been a message in your event history. Goods buildings will never have it (dye etcetera), but supply buildings can have them.
From the FAQ:
How long does it take before goods spoil?
Goods (such as lumber and dye) do not spoil, and neither do coins from your houses.
However, supplies do. They stale after twice the production time OR 1 hour, whichever is longer.
Example: if you set the production time to 15 minutes, the goods will stale after 1 hour (as 1 hour is longer than 2x15 minutes); if you set it at 1 hour, it will stale after 2 hours (2x1hour, which of course is longer than 1 hour).

As for the messages, we are aware of this issue, and this has been pointed out in more threads as well.

Edit May 29th:
No response yet, if we don't get one soon it's probably the rotten fish after all and we can move this to "not a bug". I'm waiting just a little longer before doing so.

DeletedUser

To be honest, Puablo makes a valid remark:
could you please let us know if you see a lightning bolt above your buildings, or a fish? - if it's a fish, then indeed it was no plunder, and therefore there will not have been a message in your event history. Goods buildings will never have it (dye etcetera), but supply buildings can have them.
From the FAQ:

As for the messages, we are aware of this issue, and this has been pointed out in more threads as well.

Edit May 29th:
No response yet, if we don't get one soon it's probably the rotten fish after all and we can move this to "not a bug". I'm waiting just a little longer before doing so.

So the supply issue is spoiled goods not a 'pillage' bug.

The failure to update the buildings polished status in a predicatable way is odd and surely is a Bug though.

I've today had a building polished 3 hrs ago still not updated to the new status.

Others that were polished and then lost their polished status must have been because of this same update lag time: So the polish was probably done after the old polish expired/ before it showed, and then the building lost its polished status; the new polish status only came into effect several hours later.....

At best this really does not seem like an elegant way of updating the building status field... at worst this is a bug.

DeletedUser7719

Again, I would like to see a visual aid of this. It would help out a bit

DeletedUser

Can I clarify: You want a screen shot of the message / news page showing the polish message, and another later of the city showing no building polished status 'star'? Don't know what you'd learn but I can try and cut'n paste it into the thread...

I also note that sometimes buildings that have recently produced and which are not due to produce again, pop up another 'extra' production: seems like another facet to the building status field update problem.... don't know what kind of a visual aid/ screen shot I could usefully find to illustrate it though... it looks like the usual production, only its just happened twice: nothing else abnormal about it. Pretty common but sporadic. Not yet had it happen 3 times (that I've noticed). Usually happens within a minute of the initial production: longest interval between duplicate productions was about 2 minutes (happened just now).

DeletedUser

31052013- building status at 2223hrs.jpg

31052013- polish confirmed 1905hrs.jpg

I hope that's clear: It shows a 3 hr 18 min interval between polishing event (pic 2): History confirmed the polish at 1905hrs. Building status is still unpolished @ 2223hrs (pic1)

DeletedUser7719

K, now I'm sure it's a bug. Btw, what was polished first (of those three cultural buildings), and what time is it saying?

DeletedUser

A curious question though.... Have you refreshed or restarted your browser in this time? I notice on fix attempts you wrote N/A yet for all bugs a refresh and cache clearance should be done so as to confirm it is an actual issue. I would guess you've not refreshed and it's merely a display issue....

DeletedUser

Refresh

A curious question though.... Have you refreshed or restarted your browser in this time? I notice on fix attempts you wrote N/A yet for all bugs a refresh and cache clearance should be done so as to confirm it is an actual issue. I would guess you've not refreshed and it's merely a display issue....

I'll try the refresh solution you suggest. I clear my cache daily, but if this is an issue that needs a logout/in or cache clearance every time an event occurs it would still seem like a bug that needs fixing. (The routine message interruptions are disruptive enough! An option to stop/ minimise them would be welcome).

It is not only a screen display issue: When the delay makes the difference between Sad-Content-Enthusiastic, revenue/ production is consistent with the display not what the polish would have made it be. Not found it in support (too many the same building so I'm not sure), but for 'polish' it's obvious (because I only have 1 of each type).

Good luck with the code guys...

DeletedUser

Two answers:
1. Yes it is same for polish and support
2. Yes a 'log-out, close browser and clear caches then log back in', seems to refresh the building status! (Phew: What a song and dance!) Is it really supposed to be that hard?

DeletedUser

You won't even need to log out and then back in, simply refresh the browser, it will reload. It is simply that the graphics are not displaying the true status. I think we can set this to fixed then....?!

DeletedUser7719

To find the template you should of gone through this:
Hello players and forum goers...
Please follow these steps to try and resolve the issue on your own before reporting a Bug:

- Refresh your browser (F5: soft refresh and CTRL+F5: hard refresh).
- Clear your browser's cache (temporary internet files)...