• Dear forum reader,
    To actively participate in our forum discussions or to start your own threads, in addition to your game account, you need a forum account. You can
    REGISTER HERE!
    Please ensure a translation into English is provided if your post is not in English and to respect your fellow players when posting.
  • We are looking for you!
    Always wanted to join our Support or Forum Team? We are looking for enthusiastic moderators!
    Take a look at our recruitment page for more information and how you can apply:
    Apply
  • Forum Contests

Won't you join us for out latest contest?
    You can check out the newest one here.

Simple solution to message board problem

• Thread starter DeletedUser105078
  • Start date

DeletedUser105078

OK, so here's the message I have posted in my two guilds, let's see if it works:

Message title (which goes in the box called Group title):
PLEASE DON'T DELETE MESSAGES

Body of message:

The message about cleaning up our mailboxes was relevant BEFORE the new update.

Now, the "xxx has left the conversation" spam problem can be easily fixed by nobody leaving a conversation unless they have to. There is no real need to do so, unless it's a thread that gets frequently updated, AND that you don't EVER want to see again even if circumstances change, AND where the updates are bothering you.

It's a pretty simple solution, imo.

DeletedUser7719

Posted something along those lines on Tuesday, and our guild's messaging has been almost unchanged :) (Not against any change to remove this notification though as I've heard and experienced enough this in other places ;))

DeletedUser2989

My guild had a similar post sent out and it seems to have worked for most (still get a few of those "left messages" but more often with less important conversations), it's all about adjusting how you use your messages. Still a pity that more functions were not added in before release so that people could use the system the way that worked for them. :(

zirrania

Private
I don't know why the Delete option could not have been left in. Or just have the convo not report when someone leaves.

DeletedUser

Posted this on the other thread as well:

some simple solutions to this awful messaging system would be, to a much shorter time frame for messaged to be deleted automatically, say 10 days. Also, so that we may keep the important ones, have a save message feature, so that ones we need to keep going for longer than the 10 days would be no problem. In addition to these, remove the feature which allows someone to leave a conversation, or just simply not have that generate a message. Also, put the delete message feature back in, for those who seem to be obsessed with doing this, lol. I never bothered to delete them before, i just let them fall off when they expired.

i am also very suspicious that this whole messaging system debacle is due to making it app friendly.

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser105078

In my two main guilds where I posted the messages about not deleting threads, we've had absolutely no spam problem. And without the spam, I have to confess I'm really liking the new message centre. It's working a lot better, it's easier to find one's previous post in a thread (especially useful for never-ending FP swap threads if you're lazy and like to copy/paste), I love how it shows unread messages, I find the brighter screen a lot easier to read, and it feels altogether more professional than the previous message system.

I do admit, though, that the "left conversation" spam could be a nightmare for guilds that are not prepared. In one tiny 5-people guild in one of my satellite worlds, just one member decided to clean up his mailbox after the update, and gave everybody else two pages worth of spam! I shudder to think what would have happened if it had been a bigger and more active guild.

The "left conversation" could also open the door to griefing if players have an axe to grind - they could leave their guild and delete all the guild threads in their mailbox, producing pages and pages of spam for everybody...

On the other hand, it's important to know that somebody has left a conversation (say you reply to a guild thread expecting everyone to see it, and don't realise that some people have opted out).

Would it be possible to make it so that the "left conversation" warning does not bump the thread and does not produce an unread notification?

There's no need to go and read who's left which thread - the only time you need to know, is if you want to add something to a thread, and then you'd be able to see any "left conversation" notification.

DeletedUser

Would it be possible to make it so that the "left conversation" warning does not bump the thread and does not produce an unread notification?

There's no need to go and read who's left which thread - the only time you need to know, is if you want to add something to a thread, and then you'd be able to see any "left conversation" notification.

I agree. This is how the whole problem would be fixed in no time.

Every time I open my mailbox now, i need to "leave conversations" en- mass just to clear my front page. Which means I force others to do the same, even though I don't want to.

DeletedUser108338

can you change two things:
- As mentioned multiple times - when somebody leaves the conversation please do not set unread notification. And please do not show that someone has left the conversation in message preview.
- Some wants to have their mailbox clean, so put there an option to delete the message, but allow the user to receive new messages. (In the message list and in the message itself.)

If you could see my message box, you could see pages (90%+) of messages that are unread are because someone has left the conversation. Of course, I could leave all conversations, but I would spam mailboxes of members who were kind enough not to do so. I'm really tired of opening messages again and again when somebody leaves the conversation.

DeletedUser101150

can you change two things:
- As mentioned multiple times - when somebody leaves the conversation please do not set unread notification. And please do not show that someone has left the conversation in message preview.
- Some wants to have their mailbox clean, so put there an option to delete the message, but allow the user to receive new messages. (In the message list and in the message itself.)

If you could see my message box, you could see pages (90%+) of messages that are unread are because someone has left the conversation. Of course, I could leave all conversations, but I would spam mailboxes of members who were kind enough not to do so. I'm really tired of opening messages again and again when somebody leaves the conversation.

The fix for the leave notification issues is already in testing on Beta and should be released here soon.

Puablo

Corporal
Well I think the person that thought of this current mail system deserves a pay rise!! It is absolutely brilliant so it a pay rise well deserved ..... or I suppose they could get the sack!!!!!!!

DeletedUser108240

To tell the truth I do not see the need for the new messaging format at all. It seems to be an attempt to create conferencing via mail, something that is done better in a forum thread where everyone already knows what to expect from the system.

DeletedUser105078

IMO, the new messaging system is a big improvement on the old one, it just needs a few fixes which are already in the pipeline.

As a player-base I think we could support the devs in their efforts rather than slinging trash at them all the time. When you're working, it's not much fun being bad-mouthed by the people you're working for - just imagine being in their shoes! If it was me, I think I'd end up hating the job.

Points where the new messaging system is superior to the old one:

1) The letters are sharper and it is easier to read;
2) The old messaging system kept losing threads - I was forever having to refresh to find lost threads, or having to bump threads for guild members who'd lost them. I've not lost a single thread since the new system came out;
3) In the new system, I love how my entries in a thread are arranged on the right side while everyone else's are on the left; it makes it much easier to find my last entry - very useful in never-ending FP swaps, where I can find my last donation, copy/paste it, then copy/paste the last donor's request into the appropriate spot. I can get away without any typing, lol;
4) The way the new message system highlights unread messages is brilliant;
5) Being able to leave a thread altogether has been useful in a couple of worlds where I was still receiving ongoing threads from guilds I had quit;
6) Last but not least - being able to chat with guild members on mobile is something that should have been implemented long ago. Those who say "go back to the old system" may not be aware that a huge number of players on mobile had a "coming soon" on their messaging system for over a year! So they had been waiting a long time for this, but I imagine the untimely death of the lead dev may have had something to do with the delay. In one of my guilds, there are quite a few members who play almost exclusively on mobile, and as a guild leader it was hugely frustrating when I couldn't let a new member know they needed to fix their trades to make them "fair". I had to resort to kicking them from the guild just to get their attention, so they went and logged onto a PC to find out why they'd been kicked, and then they had to wait for a whole week before they could rejoin. So I for one am ecstatic that they can now access messaging.

The only problem with the new messaging system is, it does not allow players to tidy up their mailboxes, but that is being worked on and is already in Beta, so we should be getting the fix soon. It's not that hard to avoid "leaving conversations" until the fix comes through!

The other really brilliant innovation that is on its way with the new system is the ability to edit the recipient list. That will be a huge bonus for guilds where there are several ongoing threads.

In one of my guilds, besides everyone being able to start a thread, we have quite a few ongoing threads, including two never-ending FP swaps, a GvG map guard, a GvG donation thread, a BP hunters' thread, and sometimes others such as muddies, trades, tip-of-the-week, guild news, etc, which I have to restart every time we have a change in membership! I am SO looking forward to being able to just edit the list of recipients!!!

DeletedUser108338

Thank you for fixing the issue so fast! It is much better now.
Second suggestion please put it on the list. Maybe you can implement it somewhere in the future :)

DeletedUser98465

I just want to be able to simply press delete, without having to open 24 pages to leave every conversation....

Is it too much to ask.