• Dear forum reader,
    To actively participate in our forum discussions or to start your own threads, in addition to your game account, you need a forum account. You can
    REGISTER HERE!
    Please ensure a translation into English is provided if your post is not in English and to respect your fellow players when posting.
  • We are looking for you!
    Always wanted to join our Support or Forum Team? We are looking for enthusiastic moderators!
    Take a look at our recruitment page for more information and how you can apply:
    Apply
  • Forum Contests

Won't you join us for out latest contest?
    You can check out the newest one here.

Road laying equipment

• Thread starter DeletedUser110681
  • Start date

DeletedUser110681

have you considered creating a road laying vehicle?
It could be set to replace one type of road/path with another, ie replace a paved lane with a walkway, it could possibly travel down all types of roads checking for the type of surface it is "programmed" to change, or it could do the job in the same manner as we use to replace long strips of road presently by clicking on the first and last square to change. Instead of taking a couple of seconds to change a strip of road/path it could take a minute or so and add an extra bit of interest to the game. Of course, this would need to be era appropriate as they obviously didn't exist back in the stone age ;-)

DeletedUser100065

It's an interesting idea, but i don't see the benefit to taking more time to replace roads. Would it replace them cheaper or something? Tbh after about iron age i never struggled to pay the cost of road upgrades so don't really see what this would achieve other than slowing down the game.

DeletedUser110681

Instead of click click hey presto we have a different road surface now, there would be a visual interaction. The people and cars that travel the roads in the game have no gain for the player except to portray some sort of reality, the goods buildings now show a partially completed building instead of just some scaffolding and raw materials. If we can wait 15+ hours for a building to complete without any sort of interaction why can't we wait a few seconds more per path/road tile ?
It could be an optional thing, where you can choose the old fashioned way or use the road layer, it could also be that it isn't available if you turn off animations.

DeletedUser

-1, I have to agree with megatonno, I'd don't see the point of this aspect of the game taking more time. To me, the phrase 'like watching paint dry' comes to mind.

DeletedUser110681

A few seconds to a minute for all the roads in your city to be updated is like watching paint dry ? It's not like you'll be using the option every day, you build houses, prod and goods buildings much more frequently than roads, and waiting for a building for 15+ hours is much more like watching paint dry.

Although it might be fun to watch, I would rather see development resources spent on something else like the ability to see my city in a sticks only mode for easier item placement when I'm building and moving stuff.

DeletedUser110681

That's not much of a reason to be giving me a negative score, thanks for the encouragement guys, really appreciated.

DeletedUser

A few seconds to a minute for all the roads in your city to be updated is like watching paint dry ? It's not like you'll be using the option every day, you build houses, prod and goods buildings much more frequently than roads, and waiting for a building for 15+ hours is much more like watching paint dry.
And if someone suggested that I wait longer for these buildings to complete for the sake of an added animation, I wouldn't like that idea either. I don't want to wait longer for something as simple as building a road, it doesn't interest me. It's very simple.
That's not much of a reason to be giving me a negative score, thanks for the encouragement guys, really appreciated.
I can't speak for everyone but I only give +1s for ideas that I would like to see implemented. If you came to this forum expecting only positive feedback, then I'm afraid you will be disappointed. People won't give encouragement for ideas that they do not like and not everyone will like your idea. You need a thicker skin, buddy.

DeletedUser110681

This one's for TheKingOfKool......
In contemporary era, there are 10 pages of residences, 10 of prod, 14 of goods, 10 of cultural, 14 of military and 7 of GB's, at 4 per page that's 276 buildings that would require humungous amounts of time and resources to get the sticks only mode that you say you would like to see happen.
As opposed to the 4 pages, ie ONLY 16 roads that would need time and resources spent for my idea.
16 or 276, hmmm I think my idea makes better sense don't you ? ;-)

DeletedUser110195

I'm guessing king means a building in construction phase when he says sticks only(I've never heard that phrase until recently), in which case there wouldn't be much work to do to make it happen since it's already in the game, there would just need a toggle to switch building view. If it's something other than that....well that would take more effort but would apply to everything, not just roads and thus be more useful.

Aside from that, they could just add something to update all roads to your best road. Perhaps have an optional animation of workers building it section by section for those who would like that.

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser110433

You clearly do not have enough problems with the game as it is :lol:

I'm guessing king means a building in construction phase when he says sticks only(I've never heard that phrase until recently), in which case there wouldn't be much work to do to make it happen since it's already in the game, there would just need a toggle to switch building view. If it's something other than that....well that would take more effort but would apply to everything, not just roads and thus be more useful.

That is exactly what I meant. Whenever anything is placed in the city, roads, decoration, buildings, etc., it has a construction view (I'm referring to the initial view, not the halfway view.); showing this would be a great help in build & moving things around and could be a done with little effort.