• Dear forum reader,
    To actively participate in our forum discussions or to start your own threads, in addition to your game account, you need a forum account. You can
    REGISTER HERE!
    Please ensure a translation into English is provided if your post is not in English and to respect your fellow players when posting.
  • We are looking for you!
    Always wanted to join our Support or Forum Team? We are looking for enthusiastic moderators!
    Take a look at our recruitment page for more information and how you can apply:
    Apply
  • Forum Contests

Won't you join us for out latest contest?
    You can check out the newest one here.

Producing goods without having them on the map

Status
Not open for further replies.

DeletedUser

Well, now that I have learned that you may produce trade goods without actually having the goods 'on the map' I have found this to be, kind of broken.

I have started going back and looking at the population/resource costs to build some of the buildings I never built before and I am chuckling; 100 pop/800 resources and 30 minutes to make a vineyard? Ok, 10 of those please. I'll run them for a couple of days, tear them down and toss up 10 masons (and so on).

Since I am playing solo and don't plan on joining a guild, it is not terribly bad (although it does not give me much incentive to trade, other than I want to help people out so they stay in the game). But I see a problem in guild play - the players that are well established can crank out ridiculous amounts of goods to basically give to their guild mates. This, in turn, would eliminate the need for the newer people to make trade goods (at least of any meaningful volume) leading to a downward spiral of trade, and an upward swing in combat ("Eh, I don't need room for goods buildings, time for barracks")

There may be some balance planned for this situation in future updates that I am unaware of, I just felt that I needed to point this out.

DeletedUser

I think being able to produce your own goods is crucial to the game. Being able to give a guildmate goods isn't gamebreaking, it's an incentive to join a guild. On Brisgard I have never run into a point where I could not proceed due to lack of goods. Part of this was due to trade (bronze & iron goods) and the other reason is good planning. If a player wants to use up a ton of land on producing goods for someone and getting nothing in return, that's their choice. If you have ten stone masons running simultaneously, that's at least 10 expansions of land not being used for your own purposes. And you're still only producing at a rate of 10 every 4 hours.

DeletedUser2472

Lack of space and population seems to prevent mass production like that. I'm constantly running into population limits despite having half my space dedicated to high density housing. Also, Vineyards are a poor example as they're the cheapest of the goods buildings.

DeletedUser

the players that are well established can crank out ridiculous amounts of goods to basically give to their guild mates

IMO, this is what the dev's are counting on.

Older, more developed cities helping the newbies to get going.

This is normal for massive multi-player online games.

Why else would we have guilds.

DeletedUser

We have guilds because people were asking for them. (I am presuming because they are social people, personally I don't see the point in them)

I am not talking about 'helping out' I am talking about having enough goods to get someone from the Stone Age to the LMA in one day(The only slow down will be having the gold and supplies to complete the research, so it looks like trading gold/supplies needs to stay impossible)

My 'build 10 vineyards, then 10 masons' is not a 'sample', it is what I am currently doing (actually I went with 4 vineyards and 3 roperies to start with - I have a need for rope coming up)

DeletedUser2472

My 'build 10 vineyards, then 10 masons' is not a 'sample', it is what I am currently doing

I still wonder how you have the space for 10 masons and the gold and goods buildings needed to support them.

DeletedUser

I still wonder how you have the space for 10 masons and the gold and goods buildings needed to support them.
Looking at his city, he currently has 9 goods buildings, not 10 as he suggested nor as few as the 7 that he noted. People change their cities frequently and at his era and progress level, along with the advanced buildings he has, I have no doubt he could have 10 if he wished.

DeletedUser

I had at peak 10 stone masons too (i have the deposit), it allowed me to buy all the LMA goods for a ridiculously cheap amount.

I am not talking about 'helping out' I am talking about having enough goods to get someone from the Stone Age to the LMA in one day(The only slow down will be having the gold and supplies to complete the research, so it looks like trading gold/supplies needs to stay impossible)

What would he gain anyway ? Unless he use diamonds for each research (and in that case he would probably use diamonds to get the resources as well), he would still not advance faster than a regular player. I really don't see the problem...

DeletedUser

Looking at his city, he currently has 9 goods buildings, not 10 as he suggested nor as few as the 7 that he noted. People change their cities frequently and at his era and progress level, along with the advanced buildings he has, I have no doubt he could have 10 if he wished.

The 7 I was talking about referred only to the ones I built that day; the 9 that are there have all been built this week, I cleared Dye, Alabaster and Honey out for the mean time...I also moved town hall (I am planning on putting that in the very center of the city, just for fun)

Status
Not open for further replies.