• Dear forum reader,
    To actively participate in our forum discussions or to start your own threads, in addition to your game account, you need a forum account. You can
    REGISTER HERE!
    Please ensure a translation into English is provided if your post is not in English and to respect your fellow players when posting.
  • We are looking for you!
    Always wanted to join our Support or Forum Team? We are looking for enthusiastic moderators!
    Take a look at our recruitment page for more information and how you can apply:
    Apply
  • Forum Contests

Won't you join us for out latest contest?
    You can check out the newest one here.

pre-battle injuries & non-injuries during battles

DeletedUser1081

Someone raised these issues in the Question section but I haven't seen it reported as a bug:
http://forum.en.forgeofempires.com/showthread.php?1504-To-the-battle!-With-injuried-units!

During the last few battles I've noticed that either the "currently selected attacking army" isn't properly showing units' health status, or they're getting injured before they reach the battlefield: I doublecheck to make sure all units are 100% fit before attacking, but when the battle begins (before any moves by either side) one or two of the units show up as lacking a few bars of health. I've observed this with both slingers and archers.

Also, there are more and more cases where slingers hit a target but do no damage (even if the target isn't in a "defense bonus" piece of terrain). I'm not sure zero damage is supposed to be possible (especially when it never happens when the opponent attacks my troops!)

World: Brisgard
Browser and Version: Firefox 12
And in case it's relevant, I've just entered the EMA.

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser

Sorry - can I have a screen shot or two to look at what you are descibing so im 100 percent clear?

DeletedUser1081

Carasus, thanks for taking an interest, but ... you want a screenshot of a 100% healthy army in the "attacking army pool" and then another screenshot of wounded unit in starting position on the battlefield? okay, if you really want/need me to, i'll start taking screenshots of my army before every battle until that malfunction manifests again.

as for the other malfunction: i don't know how i'd manage a screenshot of a slinger hitting an opposing unit and doing zero damage.

DeletedUser

I know it sounds tedious to do, but I can not replicate your problem, and without a screenshot or a replication it is hard to prove that something is wrong... we need to know as much detail as possible to find the problem, it could be one line of code that only happens when a certain type of unit attacks a certain province or something strange like that... so all the info you can provide is much appreciated...

DeletedUser1545

Hi there,
I had the same problem in Arvahall and took screenshots.... I finally ended up winning the battle despite the missing troop :mad:. Just to note - my ticket was closed without further communication from the mod so I hope that means the bug was fixed....

Good luck with the Brisgard bug!
Dev

---------------------------------------------------------------
2012-05-05 14:12:44
Hi there,
I was fighting in Pfefferberg sector this morning against 2 merc, 2 MA, 2 armoured infantry and 1 catapult. I have already one two battles in this sector.

For some reason, each time I tried to fight this particular battle, there was a glitch in the system. Despite selecting 8 troops, the first time, my slinger didn't show up on the battlefield (it was 7 vs 8) right at the beginning of the fight. I surrendered right away b/c I thought it was a problem with the slinger... and then this troop showed up as dead.

The second time, I took archers instead. The same thing happened, despite selecting 8 troops, one of the troops (archer) did not show up even before the battle began. When I surrendered, the 8th troop (archer) showed up as dead.

I tried a third time to fight the battle, and one of my archers disappeared again and was not on teh battlefield. I tried to continue with the 7 troops anyway and use my infiltration bonus... and ended up losing the battle and all my troops (1 archer that originally disappeared, 2 more archers during battle, and 5 soldiers).

Is there some way I can get my 4 archers, and 5 soldiers, and infiltration bonus restored to me? If there is a bug with the territory (removes a troop before the fight begins), an alternative would be give me a win in the sector so I can continue to other sectors.

Thanks!
Devtgirl

2012-05-05 23:53:17
Hi there,
Unfortunately, it happened again but I took your advice and took screenshots before and after. Despite 8 troops identified for attacking (screenshot #1), 1 archer was missing on the battlefield before even starting (screenshot #2). Before, the unit was missing in front when I tried fighting earlier this a.m., now there's a gap in the back where it should be showing up. After I surrendered, the archer showed as dead. I've attached a link to Photobucket with the screenshots.

http://i272.photobucket.com/albums/jj191/griaxe/printscr1.jpg

http://i272.photobucket.com/albums/jj191/griaxe/printscr2.jpg

I appreciate the resources... but my concern is the extensive rebuilding time (now 12 hrs+), and a glitch that has reproduced itself 4 times now.

Thanks for looking into this and I look forward to hearing how we can move beyond this - perhaps a win in this area if need be b/c the situation doesn't seem to be improving.

Cheers,
Devtgirl

DeletedUser

The CM has a video documenting this issue, but I have no further knowledge of the progress of the bugfix. It hasn't happened to my soldiers for quite some time now that they get injured before joining the battlefield.

DeletedUser

It happened to me too and I think it only happens to archers for me. They go into battle full health but when they reach the battle field they have half health

DeletedUser1081

thanks for backing me up, people. and Carasus thanks for clarifying why you need to see screen shots. do they really have to be both "before and after" shots, or will a shot of the wounded unit in starting position be enough?

it happens to my slings and archers - and it just happened to me in the center province of Sturmhohen. i had eight 100% fit & healthy archers in my "currently selected attacking army" and as soon as they hit the battlefield one of them had its health down to around 50% ...

... and a mounted archer was trotting toward it. so maybe the bug is that there are instances when opponent range units are firing before they move instead of at the end of their moves??

but i think it's happened when i'm facing units other than mounted archers too - i'll keep trying to suss it out and will post screenshots if i can.

DeletedUser1081

okay here you go: before and after images!
my fit and healthy army of archers:

armywhole.jpg

and then as soon as the battlefield opens one is already half dead:

shatteredb.jpg

why?? and it can't even be blamed on a mounted archer shooting before he moves -
that's cavalry that's already moving when the battle opens, not an archer.

the battle is for that uppermost section of Greifental - the one that's almost entirely offscreen.

i hope this is sufficient to allow a thorough investigation - thanks for looking into it.

DeletedUser1081

okay, having gone through that battle again: in this case it is the mounted archer doing damage before his turn. when his turn comes around, he trots toward the prematurely wounded archer and shoots him, but no further damage is done.

i'm not convinced that an out-of-turn mounted archer explains all the instances of pre-wounding that players (including me) have experienced, but that's the culprit in this case.

DeletedUser

It sounds like a logical explanation, though a bit strange and I would definitely call that a bug... though I have not seen this and can not replicate it it definitely needs to go to the devs...

DeletedUser1081

it happens regularly when there's a mounted archer in the opposing army.
the damage is done before the mounted archer's turn -
then it takes its turn, shoots and does no further damage.

DeletedUser

Now if only I could get that bug to work for me and have my mounted archers shoot anyone on the battle field at the start of combat that would be awesome :)

DeletedUser1378

Lol Carasus. Yes, this exactly the same problem I am having. Also, when facing a mounted archer. Thanks for the link mink. So, at this point, this is what, an acknowledged problem that is being addressed?

DeletedUser

It happened to me several times but its just a graphical bug and it does not change the outcome of the battle. My understanding is that if its the AI that does the first move, the server does the move immediatly and batch the result to the client with the start of the combat to save network roundtrip. But then the client's display lags behind and shows the moves in sequence. Its a code optimisation that is actually not visible except when fighting against mounted archer since it is the only unit that have a fast initiative (plays first) and that can hit ennemy through the whole map in one round.