• Dear forum reader,
    To actively participate in our forum discussions or to start your own threads, in addition to your game account, you need a forum account. You can
    REGISTER HERE!
    Please ensure a translation into English is provided if your post is not in English and to respect your fellow players when posting.
  • We are looking for you!
    Always wanted to join our Support or Forum Team? We are looking for enthusiastic moderators!
    Take a look at our recruitment page for more information and how you can apply:
    Apply
  • Forum Contests

Won't you join us for out latest contest?
    You can check out the newest one here.

Paruuch

DeletedUser

What is a good military strategy for successfully conquering this territory (assuming Infiltrate was used)?

DeletedUser

Round 1 - Six spears and 2 slingers ... defeat with 1 soldier left with 3 bars

Round 2 - Five spears and 3 slingers ... defeat with 1 soldier left w/full health

Both autoplayed ... may have to navigate this one myself.

DeletedUser

Both autoplayed ... may have to navigate this one myself.

NEVER ever use autoplay! The AI is so stupid, I couldn't believe it.

Example:
A slinger in attack mode moves directly beneath a spearman and fires his stone, taking 50% of the opponents health and...
gets a counter attack which nearly kills him.

A good strategy for nearly all Bronze and Iron Age Provinces is to use 2 Spearman and 6 Slingers. Move the Spearman a few field ahead and keep the slingers out of range of the enemy. Funny against horses :) They always died in no time.

DeletedUser

When you have more slingers than spearmen, you need to scatter you slingers and opponents could not reach all of them so you can shoot them all, but better you use spearmen and do it yourself.

DeletedUser

I agree with the slingers idea... slingers and later archers with a couple of fast light infantry or slow heavy infantry to hold the enemy at bay and you can usually win with just one or two men lost... if you have 4 soldiers trained you can usually replace them immediately and get the next battle won also...

DeletedUser

I've conquered all provinces till West-Nagash (including Paruuch, Ruug, East-Nagash) only with 8 spears. So it's possible - just put more efforts and more reasoning during battle.

And of course - no autoplay!

DeletedUser

I've conquered all provinces till West-Nagash (including Paruuch, Ruug, East-Nagash) only with 8 spears. So it's possible - just put more efforts and more reasoning during battle.

And of course - no autoplay!

Really? I tried it with 7 spearmen and 1 slinger and got only Paruuch all, half of Ruug and one part of East-Nagash has left. Now I am preparing to attack with soldiers from new barracks, so I should win as you said, you won with only spears.

DeletedUser

There are only 2 problematic provinces in Ruug - with 3 ballistas and with 5 legioneers. But they are also possible to beat only with spears if you play correct.

DeletedUser

Four Provinces after Ruug in Maktaba: (still Iron Age)

Maktaba.jpg

Try this with only Spearman. :eek:

DeletedUser

Try this with only Spearman. :eek:

Why should i ? :) I just started build soldiers for such provinces.

P.S. Though, depending on relief - it can be possible overcome 6 ballistes + 2 soldiers only with 8 spears too.

DeletedUser

The strongest combination. And did you defeat them by defensive or offensive tactics?

Sure, use your horsemen and go on.

With ballistes the tactic is always the same - kill ballistes asap.

With 5 legioneers - there are a lot of swamps on the map. And it helps a lot to get legioneers divided and kill them one after another.

DeletedUser

Why should i ? :) I just started build soldiers for such provinces.

Yes sure. But the bad side is that replacing lost spearman only take seconds and soldiers hours. This is a little unbalanced and slowing down the progress drastically.
This was already discussed, but I think the fighting abilities between troops from different ages are much too small compared to the construction and healing time.

DeletedUser

Yes sure. But the bad side is that replacing lost spearman only take seconds and soldiers hours. This is a little unbalanced and slowing down the progress drastically.

Yeah. That's why i stuck on spears and tried to conquer everything with them. They are cheap, very quick to build, pretty fast, with good offense/defense and also getting protection from bush/trees. The next similar in abilities (even better in speed and offense/defense) unit - is soldier. But 4 hours to build 1 soldier - is a kinda joke. 2 hours would be more than enough.

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser

Clearly, I am inept at conquering Paruuch :( I will not further embarrass myself by regaling everyone with my numerous (I stopped counting) attempts. :/ Going to try 4 spear, 2 warriors and 2 slingers ...

DeletedUser503

Never use the AI for starters! It is rubbish compared to CIV / AoE etc.

I use six spearfighters backed by two slingers, I also use warriors but the build time is stupidly slow and makes the game even more turgid.

I advance the spears into cover in one or two screens, keeping back and then bring slingers behind them.
Use the slingers to damage the opponents and wait for them to attack the spear line.

If the opponent has slingers/ archers then it is worth going for them with the spears or countering them with the slingers but always try to protect the slingers, again because of build time.

DeletedUser

I managed to pull it off last night with 4 spears and 4 slingers. I think I had one spear standing at the end. Thanks for all the tips ... I'm slowly figuring out the battles :)

DeletedUser1032

I managed to pull it off last night with 4 spears and 4 slingers. I think I had one spear standing at the end. Thanks for all the tips ... I'm slowly figuring out the battles :)

It's a good combo. As mentioned already, spears have decent defense, which is improved by bushes and trees. And having four slingers gives a decent way of weakening enemy troops from the distance. A lot of times I'd wait until enemy units got next to a bush or a tree, then got my spearman there and attack, all the while pummeling them with slingers from the distance. It was a triple whammy - enemy got weakened first, then got attacked by my spearman, and if he survived, had to attack my spearman who had the defensive bonus.

As for slingers, note that they're faster than most units when moving through marshes. This means that if your slinger can draw the enemy into a marsh, he can outrun them while slinging rocks from a distance. Once I've managed to kill three warriors this way, using my last slinger.