• Dear forum reader,
    To actively participate in our forum discussions or to start your own threads, in addition to your game account, you need a forum account. You can
    REGISTER HERE!
    Please ensure a translation into English is provided if your post is not in English and to respect your fellow players when posting.
  • We are looking for you!
    Always wanted to join our Support or Forum Team? We are looking for enthusiastic moderators!
    Take a look at our recruitment page for more information and how you can apply:
    Apply
  • Forum Contests

Won't you join us for out latest contest?
    You can check out the newest one here.

OPT OUT OF frequent Neighbourhood adjustments

eeyore

Corporal
Why can players not "opt OUT" of neighbourhood change once a player is happy.

Elvenar is already featuring an opt-out button.

DeletedUser110195

I'm having a hard time understanding, why is it you don't like neighborhood shuffles? They keep people from sitting in one place too long, growing past the rest of their 'hood to the point where no one presents a challenge.

A game without combat is one thing, but FoE is a wargame. To leave people sit, week after week, growing stronger to where they can overpower weak neighbors is not a good way to keep people engaged. I myself was just at the top of a very unbalanced 'hood, I was end of colonial/beginning industrial before I got shuffled out, the rest of the 'hood? Late middle. Had I been a dick about it I could have made them all miserable.

DeletedUser109510

FoE is not a wargame - and saying that everyone has to engage in war whether they like it or not is simply wrong.

DeletedUser103370

if you are the only one who opts out of hood change and everyone else gets a new hood, don't you end up in a new hood ?

hahaha, so true :)

but look at the reasons, why would you wanna stay in a hood in the first place?

Obviously, because you found one, where you are safe
or/and you have found a mix of people, who can help you the most in advancement through trades right?

Now think about it from not yours, but their viewpoint. Maybe you found the right place, but it's the opposite for others.

So the answer to the question is pretty simple, to keep the game balanced for everyone, you need random changes. This way sometimes it's better, sometimes it's worst, but most importantly it's the same for everyone.

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser110195

if you are the only one who opts out of hood change and everyone else gets a new hood, don't you end up in a new hood ?
And the next step will be: 'Don't add anyone to my 'hood, just filter others out' so they can eventually play the game without the threat of being attacked, and have zero resistance to winning every tower.

eeyore

Corporal
I'm having a hard time understanding, why is it you don't like neighborhood shuffles? They keep people from sitting in one place too long, growing past the rest of their 'hood to the point where no one presents a challenge.

A game without combat is one thing, but FoE is a wargame. To leave people sit, week after week, growing stronger to where they can overpower weak neighbors is not a good way to keep people engaged. I myself was just at the top of a very unbalanced 'hood, I was end of colonial/beginning industrial before I got shuffled out, the rest of the 'hood? Late middle. Had I been a dick about it I could have made them all miserable.
And the next step will be: 'Don't add anyone to my 'hood, just filter others out' so they can eventually play the game without the threat of being attacked, and have zero resistance to winning every tower.

It's a nuisance for players who want to be peaceful. To a war-mongering player, they can always being kept shuffled around, but for normal, peaceful players, there is not much choice for that they not advance as quickly. There is far too many war games out already and in my opinion, FoE should, in fact split up into a "war" division and a "trading" division.

DeletedUser110195

Or, you could, do GE, get unattached units and set them to defense, then later build St. Basils and Deal Castle and voila, peaceful player is no worse off than the rest of us on defense.

eeyore

Corporal
hahaha, so true :)

but look at the reasons, why would you wanna stay in a hood in the first place?

Obviously, because you found one, where you are safe
or/and you have found a mix of people, who can help you the most in advancement through trades right?

Now think about it from not yours, but their viewpoint. Maybe you found the right place, but it's the opposite for others.

So the answer to the question is pretty simple, to keep the game balanced for everyone, you need random changes. This way sometimes it's better, sometimes it's worst, but most importantly it's the same for everyone.

- Agreed, random changes are fine, but not every two weeks. I have managed to make friends with some frequent plunderers and that was due to trying diplomacy and reasoning. To keep doing this every two weeks is tedious and exhausting. I play elvenar and whilst not as developed as FoE, you can opt out of changes there and exist in peace. Arguably, FoE is by far more complex than elvenar. Modern users sadly (I try to say this respectfully!) have little patience, being used to instantaneous gratification when pressing buttons. As I play (and I know, I am not the only one) FoE for relaxation after work, constant hassle and changes are not welcome.

Or, you could, do GE, get unattached units and set them to defense, then later build St. Basils and Deal Castle and voila, peaceful player is no worse off than the rest of us on defense.

I have got unattached units for defence. I have countless watch towers and even use the tavern as occasional temporary boost of 30%. My defending armies
hardly ever succeed due to the faulty algorithm employed in "defence": The "defending" troops ALWAYS attack ALL of the rogues where the attacking players uses them, converting them into whatever top level troop they have. If I was truly defending, I would eliminate the only "real" attacking troops first, leaving the rogues to last, then "kill" them off in one swoop.
But the way inno have set the algorithm, the attacker usually wins.

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser110195

The "defending" troops ALWAYS attack ALL of the rogues
That's a whole other can of worms right there, and one frequently being discussed, seeing as the map AI is just as smart as us in regards to target priority but the city defense AI apparently sniffed glue in botschool. I do that when attacking players or in GE, but never province sectors because they will laugh all the way past your rogues and murder you.

I play the farmers path on my alt-worlds, saves me a bunch of time(when you have 7 worlds you play every minute is precious)so I know how to play this as someone who doesn't want to be a fighter.

DeletedUser103370

- Agreed, random changes are fine, but not every two weeks. I have managed to make friends with some frequent plunderers and that was due to trying diplomacy and reasoning. To keep doing this every two weeks is tedious and exhausting. I play elvenar and whilst not as developed as FoE, you can opt out of changes there and exist in peace. Arguably, FoE is by far more complex than elvenar. Modern users sadly (I try to say this respectfully!) have little patience, being used to instantaneous gratification when pressing buttons. As I play (and I know, I am not the only one) FoE for relaxation after work, constant hassle and changes are not welcome.

Ah I see, so you just wanna make the change less frequent. Well I don't have anything against that, but I think this question goes deeper. I mean how frequent the changes probably depends on many factors, only the devs see the true composition of players, their habits, how much time they spend here etc. I guess they could look into it, and change it accordingly if needed!

eeyore

Corporal
Ah I see, so you just wanna make the change less frequent. Well I don't have anything against that, but I think this question goes deeper. I mean how frequent the changes probably depends on many factors, only the devs see the true composition of players, their habits, how much time they spend here etc. I guess they could look into it, and change it accordingly if needed!
You have a point in there; arguably, it must be difficult. However, my solution (of course it could create unforeseen issues) has always been:

0-200 points (new starter). Stays there until 200 reached (all probably quite "safe").
201-1,000 points (this may give a first 'taste' of FoE "life" out in the open) - a little less "safe"
1,001-5,000 points: perhaps a hurdle.
5,001-15,000 points: a bigger leap.

etc etc
So, where players are not interested in fighting, they very gradually move up by advancing in their technologies. Once a certain point is reached, "plop" they drop into the next neighbourhood by going over their points level.

I would then say that
100,000,000 + points would be "the elite"

Common to each point level is that they could attack their group ONLY.

If the game was clever enough, it would add a second layer to this system to provide trading goods up or down with a coding function thus:

"IF: "Stone Age" or "Bronze Age" AND "0-200" points: THEN: "players who are either in Stone or Bronze Age and have 0-200 they will be neighbours"