• Dear forum reader,
    To actively participate in our forum discussions or to start your own threads, in addition to your game account, you need a forum account. You can
    REGISTER HERE!
    Please ensure a translation into English is provided if your post is not in English and to respect your fellow players when posting.
  • We are looking for you!
    Always wanted to join our Support or Forum Team? We are looking for enthusiastic moderators!
    Take a look at our recruitment page for more information and how you can apply:
    Apply
  • Forum Contests

Won't you join us for out latest contest?
    You can check out the newest one here.

need help in Strumhohen province

Status
Not open for further replies.

DeletedUser

need help in the last bit where there are 3 cata 3 armourd heveay and 1 horse archer..whats a good setup to beat this

DeletedUser7137

I used a combination of ballistas and archers going through most of EMA's provinces. 7 ballistas + 1 archer or 6 ballista + 2 archers would be good. Depending on the terrain, you'd probably get hit by the mounted archer in the first round, but that's it. Just kill the horse first, then the catapults. And make the armored infantry chase your archer while picking them off one by one with your ballistas. It worked for me before.

DeletedUser3157

4 ballista 4 archers is safe bet. 6 ballista 2 archers riskier but if done right even less losses.

Surge

Brigadier-General
Hmm... those units... I can't help much but yeah, those few units the guys above me suggested might be worth a shot. But the thing is, I come from a time when Archers decimated everything. So I can't personally recommend anything.

DeletedUser

Ballista... we're talking about the iron age ballista ?

Is that really a better setup than 5 archers, 2 legionaires and 1 soldier (mainly for bait or kill their cata's?)

DeletedUser3157

This fight sucks if you don't have any long range, it's exactly for fights like this when you need them the most because archer is the must troop to kill heavy armors but if u have no long range of ur own, enemy cats will just eat ur archers 1.5 every round.

Ok so if I were you woud take 7 archers 1 legioner or soldier. Keep the legioner/soldier as your most forward troop every time when cats start shooting. In ideal I would actually take a 9 hit point legioner/soldier to the fight. Anyways if it stays as the most forward troop it will take usually at least some catapult hits into himself for low damage so ur archers stay alive longer. Then I would just rush forward and finish the fight quickly before those catapults decimate my archers.

Edit: I assume this the fight you meant? It's the top sector in sturm and has all the units you said plus also one mercanary. Anyways this is with 7 archer 1 legioner:
sturm.jpg
High losses, but still you should win 8 times out of 10.

And as comparison with 4 archers 4 ballista:
sturm2.jpg
Much better losses and you win 10 times out of 10.

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser

Hint, whats your tactic with those ballista ? do you rush forward with them ? how do you not lose units to their cata's ? ...their cata's will target your balista surely ?

DeletedUser3157

Hint, whats your tactic with those ballista ? do you rush forward with them ? how do you not lose units to their cata's ? ...their cata's will target your balista surely ?

Mounted archer starts off by attacking an archer since he can reach it. I finish off that mounted archer and make sure my archers stay away from positions I want to move my ballistas. I can take down 1st catapult before it shoots because my 2 ballistas move first, but 2nd and 3rd catapult I can only injure before they shoot because the map is lucky for them. In ideal I'd kill cata 3 before it shoots as well and not suffer the injury to the second archer. Those cats target archers because I have them moved more forward(and because first one is injured, injured troop is higher priority of AI). That is old habbit for me to take hits on archers not long range because I usually have way more those small archer ranges than big high population demand long range buildings. Had I held my archers in behind ballistas in back line, I could have prolly taken that 3rd catapult hit my ballista instead. Anyways then I start killing those enemy melee units with my 3 archers starting from the faster mercenary, ballistas finish off remaning cats before they can shoot and join in that action, rest is pretty much a formality.

DeletedUser

Remember that AI targets short range units first (as long as they are within a reach). So if your archers can be hit by catapults it does not help to put melee (light or heavy) units forward as a bait. Even your ballistas will be secondary targets if archers can be hit in the same round.

DeletedUser3157

This is not really true. When it comes to short or long range, AI targets the one closer to it no matter which one. In neutral situations it often likes short range more yes, but that's about it. This essentially means I can choose to take hit on archer 10 times out of 10 and it works for taking it on long range unit 9 times out of 10. And you can sometimes make AI target your melee if it really stands out forward, particulary for enemy long range to target your heavy melee. I think it is AI trying to be smart and use the unit type bonus long range has againsy heavy melee. But yes it does not always work. But for example in the first fight I posted I got enemy catapults shoot the legionere twice despite there being archers in range for them in all occasions.

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser

Thanks for the tips, i've always been using 4 archers with a mix of soldiers/legionaires depending on the mix, archers always been the constant. Trouble is there's alot of down time, 2 battles and waiting about 3-4 hours inbetween for my guys to heal up. Hopefully ballista's will reduce that.

I have 2 ballista places half built as i type :)

DeletedUser

I got 8 ballista today. I made my army of 5, 2 archers and 1 legion. Works wonders!

DeletedUser7798

can always negotiate the land, good idea on tough opponents. bad idea pointwise though.

DeletedUser

One that gave me most trouble was the all horsemen one. I lost 7 units on that one :(

Status
Not open for further replies.