• Dear forum reader,
    To actively participate in our forum discussions or to start your own threads, in addition to your game account, you need a forum account. You can
    REGISTER HERE!
    Please ensure a translation into English is provided if your post is not in English and to respect your fellow players when posting.
  • We are looking for you!
    Always wanted to join our Support or Forum Team? We are looking for enthusiastic moderators!
    Take a look at our recruitment page for more information and how you can apply:
    Apply
  • Forum Contests

Won't you join us for out latest contest?
    You can check out the newest one here.

More information in the happiness menu

DeletedUser

Proposal:

Improve the happiness drop down menu at the top of the page to give more information on what is going on.

Have you Checked the Ideas section for the same idea posted by someone else? Is this idea similar to one that has been previously suggested?

Yes I did and could not find it, if it is here somewhere, please let me know

Reason:

Lately I have been trying to decide on what houses to build, how many etc..., and what monuments/decorations/culture buildings I will need to make sure I still have that 120% happiness in the city. However, the menu does not, in my opinion, give enough information for me to do this, and when I try to figure it out for myself the sums don't add up.

One reason for this is because there is no way (apart from maths!) to see how much of the happiness provided comes from polished buildings.

Secondly, there is no where which indicates how much additional happiness you need above the population level to get enthusiastic citizens.

My issues can be seen when you look at my current happiness breakdown...

Provided happiness = 6460
Demand for happiness = 2879
Productivity = 120%
Additional happiness = 2429

How is additional happiness only 2429 when the provided happiness is 6460, almost 4000 extra?

I understand that you need X amount of happiness more than the population to be enthusiastic, however I have no idea what this number is, and think it should be included in the happiness summary.

Also, I think the amount given by polished buildings should also be included as an extra aspect here, so when polishing runs out you don't suddenly fall into a depression.

Basically, I think this needs more clarification in the drop down menu to help us decide on what to build.

Details:

The happiness menu will have a few extra lines which explain more clearly how happiness is calculated and what is available than there already is.

This will include a breakdown of total happiness, population, the threshold of what is needed to reach enthusiastic, and how much of your current happiness is being produced from polished buildings.

Visual Aids:

None

Balance:

I don't think it would have any balance issues, and I don't see it being too much to add as the calculations needed are already being made somewhere in the games magical interwebspace, so it would be a case of making this visible in a similar way to the information already provided

Abuse Prevention:

No abuse

Summary:

More improved happiness menu, with a more informative breakdown of what happiness you have, what is needed, and what is given by polished buildings

What do you think?

DeletedUser

+1 for me. Every time I look at those numbers, it brings all sorts of confusion.

DeletedUser

Hey Necora,

Thanks for using the template and explaining your idea so well. :)

As for your question:
I understand that you need X amount of happiness more than the population to be enthusiastic, however I have no idea what this number is, and think it should be included in the happiness summary.

Here is the answer from Pendragon's FAQ.
Cultural buildings, as well as decorations, provide a certain amount of happiness. And your population needs to be happy, for better production!
Once your happiness points are 1.4x your population, the population will even become enthusiastic, which means that when you collect your buildings, you will get 120% of what you would normally get. The reverse is true as well: if your happiness points drop below your population, you will only gain 50% of what you would get normally. So it is important to keep the happiness up!

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser4089

I like that you have to think about things before selling cultural buildings or buying more houses. I'd hate to have all the numbers spoonfed to me.

DeletedUser

I agree with this ideal totally. The happiness drop down is very confusing. Even if you spend the time going to forum and getting the 1.4 multiplier info., who wants to pull out the calculator every time you want to build some houses. What you need is the additional happiness box to tell you exactly how many people you can add an still be 120% .

DeletedUser

My issues can be seen when you look at my current happiness breakdown...

Provided happiness = 6460
Demand for happiness = 2879
Productivity = 120%
Additional happiness = 2429

How is additional happiness only 2429 when the provided happiness is 6460, almost 4000 extra?

I don't see your difficulty. I see:

Total of all provided happiness is 6460
Amount demanded for 100% happiness is 2879 (so you are well above that)
You have achieved 120% happiness due to extra happiness (Is there a need to know exact number?)
After achieving 120% happiness you have a surplus of 2429 (so you can eliminate houses if you wish)

I do see your point that the surplus is probably achieved by having your buildings polished so if all you are asking for is an additional bit of info that says:

Happiness from polishings = 1539 (or whatever number)

Then I would agree and give +1

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser

I do see your point that the surplus is probably achieved by having your buildings polished so if all you are asking for is an additional bit of info that says:

I would +1 this as well.

DeletedUser7719

I don't see your difficulty. I see:

Total of all provided happiness is 6460
Amount demanded for 100% happiness is 2879 (so you are well above that)
You have achieved 120% happiness due to extra happiness (Is there a need to know exact number?)
After achieving 120% happiness you have a surplus of 2429 (so you can eliminate houses if you wish)

Same here; a +1 for this idea