• Dear forum reader,
    To actively participate in our forum discussions or to start your own threads, in addition to your game account, you need a forum account. You can
    REGISTER HERE!
    Please ensure a translation into English is provided if your post is not in English and to respect your fellow players when posting.
  • We are looking for you!
    Always wanted to join our Support or Forum Team? We are looking for enthusiastic moderators!
    Take a look at our recruitment page for more information and how you can apply:
    Apply
  • Forum Contests

Won't you join us for out latest contest?
    You can check out the newest one here.

Not a Bug: Mobile Version Not Available???

DeletedUser

Hello, Mods,

I got an email to try Forge of Empires and decided to give it a try. I enjoyed Tribal Wars and Grepolis, so why not, right?

My problem is thus: I have the latest versions of Flash Player, Flash Reader and Adobe Air, yet I'm not able to load your game worlds.
I had no problem with the website, no problems with this forum, yet when I try to log in to World 2 (The new Open Beta world), all I get is a webpage from Forge of Empires that says, "Make sure you have the latest version yada yada yada," or somesuch thing as thus..

I checked the forum via search to see if others had similar problems. Most of the responses were, "Try a different browser." Thing is, I don't have different browsers, I only have the "Web" button on my Android phone with which to connect to said mobile intarwebz. I'm curious, is the issue with the mobile version of the Forge of Empires server-sites/interface, is it a webpage auto-load/auto-refresh issue, or is my Samsung SGH I997 smartphone simply not smart enough for your apparently lovely (from the screenshots and blog posts) game?

Looking forward to your reply/replies. I reckon his Lordship, Sir Jester, will be along directly to offer up some sage advice. ;)
Keep up the hard (read: good) work, Mods. Take care!

Sincerely,
Mercutio

P.S. Forgive my lack of use of that wonderful coding you used in your sticky post regarding reporting bugs, Jester. I attempted to copy/paste said text, but my phone would not allow it; it did not even give me the option, truth be told. I cry your pardon, Sir!

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser276

yah its an issue. I dont know if its usable via mobile or not as some mobiles dont support some codings and programs. I will alert an admin and see if they can answer this with knowledge rather than my guessing :)

DeletedUser

I look forward to the Administration's reply.
Thank you for your efforts, Blacksmith. 'Tis much obliged, good Sir! :)

DeletedUser56

in the close beta it has works with my Galaxy Nexus. Not fast, but good enough to take forge point to research technologies.
Now it not work with android browser, firefox and chrome for android.

DeletedUser17

P.S. Forgive my lack of use of that wonderful coding you used in your sticky post regarding reporting bugs, Jester. I attempted to copy/paste said text, but my phone would not allow it; it did not even give me the option, truth be told. I cry your pardon, Sir!

It should be ok this one time... ;)

As to the mobile version, I can see that FoE would be a lot for a phone to handle. Currently we are concentrating on optimizing the performance on the regular browsers. Once this is done we may explore a mobile version. I can not give you a time frame as to when this will be. Thank you for your patience.

As this may be planned for the future this is not really a bug, so I will tag it as such.

DeletedUser

It should be ok this one time... ;)

*Grins and bows,* Much obliged, m'Lord!

As to the mobile version, I can see that FoE would be a lot for a phone to handle. Currently we are concentrating on optimizing the performance on the regular browsers. Once this is done we may explore a mobile version. I can not give you a time frame as to when this will be. Thank you for your patience.

Of course. As I said before, I have always enjoyed InnoGames' creations. I cannot fault you or the aforementioned corporation for creating a better and more sophisticated bit o' software, nor can I expect you to cater to a niche audience, namely those such as myself who's only able to access the vastness that is cyberspace via their cellular device. :P

At the same time, given how well phone-based games perform in the free-to-play pay-if-you-like game market, it wouldn't be a misstep for InnoGames to create a "Mobile Gaming" division. Again, it's a limited audience who would have to use such products, but given that some of the best players on Tribal Wars spend an equal amount of time on their smartphone as they do their home console (what with work, waiting rooms, long lines at grocer's, etc.), I'd be willing to bet such a division could boost the user-base, and consequently total sales, substantially!

Something to mull over at the next group meeting, mayhaps. And, you're welcome. ;) Haha..

As this may be planned for the future this is not really a bug, so I will tag it as such.

Of course. Now that I've heard your response, I, too, would say this is not a bug, though it may prove useful to leave about should others have similar problems (as DocHobbit has), or to perhaps create a sticky thread of your own explaining that FoE is too sophisticated for most smartphones at this time. Again, just something to mull over..

I appreciate the prompt and helpful replies from both you, Lord Jester, and your goodly Moderator, Deputy Blacksmith. As always, the InnoGames staff, both paid and volunteer, have proven themselves worth their salt and more! Keep up the brilliant work, gents, and know that your labors are both noticed and appreciated.

My thanks again, good Sirs. I look forward to playing FoE in the future, either when I move to a location with internet service or a more spartan version of your software is released. Until then, fare thee well! :D

Sincerely,
Mercutio

DeletedUser

in the close beta it has works with my Galaxy Nexus. Not fast, but good enough to take forge point to research technologies.
Now it not work with android browser, firefox and chrome for android.

Yeah I have a Droid X2 and while the game was in closed beta I was able to access it via my phone but now that it's gone open I receive the same message Mercutio stated. I'm a very active player and access on mobile is very important to me in keeping my productivity going. If I set a 4 hour production and due to real life circumstances I can't be near a comp it's very handy pulling out my phone to retrieve my products and set new task without losing them. Having that ability helps keep me in this game and more active instead of setting 8 hour or 1 day products just so I'm not missing them.

Thanks

DeletedUser

Though this is labeled as not being a bug, it would be a shame if this thread and the wonderful wording of Knight Mercutio were to disappear in the depths of the notabugsubforum. I suggest to move, rename and sticky it to the feedback/suggestions section :)

DeletedUser579

I agree wholeheartedly with Mercutio's eloquent appeal for a mobile version and would also ask that the game is made available on a slightly earlier Flash player version so that Mac players with pre-Intel processors ( of which there are a huge number!) can also play the game .

For info, in case you were unaware, the latest version of Flash is not supported on pre intel (Mac G5 etc) :(

DeletedUser

I use a Samsung Note 10.1 tablet for 99% of my computing needs. It has a quad core processor and 2gb of ram. Not supporting flash 11.1 is the only thing keeping from joining the guild of my friends and family and playing this great looking game. I will wait until something is done as I am not too keen on the thought of lugging out my 7 year old 8 lb laptop to just play this game.

DeletedUser10135

I have a Samsung with Android too. It seems Adobe stopped developing Flash Player for Android for versions beyond 11.1 :

we Android users can therefore NOT play Foe from our mobile which is really a pity. But I have to admit that playing Grepolis or The West from a mobileis not as comfortable as from a PC