• Dear forum reader,
    To actively participate in our forum discussions or to start your own threads, in addition to your game account, you need a forum account. You can
    REGISTER HERE!
    Please ensure a translation into English is provided if your post is not in English and to respect your fellow players when posting.
  • We are looking for you!
    Always wanted to join our Support or Forum Team? We are looking for enthusiastic moderators!
    Take a look at our recruitment page for more information and how you can apply:
    Apply
  • Forum Contests

Won't you join us for out latest contest?
    You can check out the newest one here.

Introduce a rating system for topics

DeletedUser103370

Proposal:
Make it possible to up or down-vote an idea (a thread), and by some formula (ie. the ratio of up-votes/all votes) show a rating for the topics

Have you checked the forums for the same or similar idea:
Yes

Reason:
Better understand and see how much a proposal is liked, uniform unbiased rating, ability to sort ideas by rating

Details:
So, in the forum you can see and sort ideas based on replies, views or even date of posting, but you don't have a way to either measure nor to sort by +1s. The term "ideas with mainly +1s get forwarded" is not only inaccurate, but simply means some people are checking these topics, and if "they think" it deserves forwarding, they put it through.
I think we should introduce a uniform system, where the real votes, and the rating calculated from them would decide which ideas deserve consideration. This not only would eliminate biased decisions, but would make the progress of a proposal absolutely clear and transparent.

This doesn't mean that if an idea looks very promising but for any reason it won't get the attention, or just get lost in the middle of a swarm of ideas, that the mods or whoever has the power to do it wouldn't be able to still forward it.

For the rating, I was thinking about something like what we already have, namely the hot/warm etc. so either use those already built-in flags, or some new ones. It doesn't really matter, the important thing would be how the rating is calculated. Now, I don't know this, so I'd love to see how would you guys do it, think of something like:

- all votes counted
- up/down-votes eliminate each other (so if it has two up, then someone presses down, it will have 1 up)
- rating = up-votes / all votes (it will result in a fraction)

Then the above mentioned flags could fall in a range of the results, ie.
0 - 0.2 Cold
0.2 - 0.4 Warm
0.4 - 0.6 Hot
etc.
According to this result, the color of the topic could be different, or perhaps a small indicator could be shown next to the title...

Visual Aids:
N/A

Balance:
A new flag for the topics, a new column for the rating, and either some new names for the ratings, or use the existing ones in some way

Abuse Prevention:
I think it doesn't needed more than currently, the only thing I can think of is someone creating multiple accounts to make a lot of votes, but that can be done in the current system as well

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser110195

I like it, but I think all upvotes and downvotes should be visible, if you get 3 up, and 1 down, it should show 3 b and 1 p.

Since this hasn't been implemented yet I'll vote in the current 'system' +1

DeletedUser103370

I like it, but I think all upvotes and downvotes should be visible, if you get 3 up, and 1 down, it should show 3 b and 1 p.

Since this hasn't been implemented yet I'll vote in the current 'system' +1

The reason I'd hide results (for at least until someone made his vote) is to avoid biased votes (if only a little bit)!

DeletedUser12400

Proposal:
Make it possible to up or down-vote an idea, and by some formula (ie. the ratio of up-votes/all votes) show a rating for the topics

Have you checked the forums for the same or similar idea:
Yes

Reason:
Better understand and see how much a proposal is liked, uniform unbiased rating, ability to sort ideas by rating

Details:
So, in the forum you can see and sort ideas based on replies, views or even date of posting, but you don't have a way to either measure nor to sort by +1s. The term "ideas with mainly +1s get forwarded" is not only inaccurate, but simply means some people are checking these topics, and if "they think" it deserves forwarding, they put it through.
I think we should introduce a uniform system, where the real votes, and the rating calculated from them would decide which ideas deserve consideration. This not only would eliminate biased decisions, but would make the progress of a proposal absolutely clear and transparent.

This doesn't mean that if an idea looks very promising but for any reason it won't get the attention, or just get lost in the middle of a swarm of ideas, that the mods or whoever has the power to do it wouldn't be able to still forward it.

For the rating, I was thinking about something like what we already have, namely the hot/warm etc. so either use those already built-in flags, or some new ones. It doesn't really matter, the important thing would be how the rating is calculated. Now, I don't know this, so I'd love to see how would you guys do it, think of something like:

- all votes counted
- up/down-votes eliminate each other (so if it has two up, then someone presses down, it will have 1 up)
- rating = up-votes / all votes (it will result in a fraction)

Then the above mentioned flags could fall in a range of the results, ie.
0 - 0.2 Cold
0.2 - 0.4 Warm
0.4 - 0.6 Hot
etc.
According to this result, the color of the topic could be different, or perhaps a small indicator could be shown next to the title...

Visual Aids:
N/A

Balance:
A new flag for the topics, a new column for the rating, and either some new names for the ratings, or use the existing ones in some way

Abuse Prevention:
I think it doesn't needed more than currently, the only thing I can think of is someone creating multiple accounts to make a lot of votes, but that can be done in the current system as well
Proposal: Allow users to add polls to their ideas posts.

Have you checked for similar ideas?: Yes.

Reason: It's the best way to do it. You can see instantly how much support an idea has, and can be passed on to Devs - "This idea has 78% support on our forums. etc."

It might cut down on +1/ -1 posts, so the thread is neater and easier to follow.

Details: Give regular users access to poll creation, restricted to the ideas section.

Balance: Don't need polls anywhere else, so no need to add them elsewhere.
Normal forum rules cover appropriate usage.

Visual Aids:
oR9uk38.jpg

Credit to this thread - https://forum.en.forgeofempires.com/index.php?threads/store-premium-buildings.32550/ - for the idea.

P.S. If a forum mod is able to add a poll in here, that'd be great :)
I have tried to launch voting system in past however unsuccessfully because it brought up couple of issues and caused some headaches. I would love to see this system so maybe in the future.

DeletedUser12400

Cool, hope you can sort it out sooner or later!
Hopefully however I will share a couple of issues which caused headaches. The voting system would add more work for moderators because each thread would need to wait for approval in order to add pool manually since there is no automatic option and also it could stack up like tickets which could lead to unsatisfactory for idea posters. The thread owner still could edit questions, responses, options and even reset votes or delete entire poll. The voting system would mean less comments which most likely would cause active bumping because threads would get burried by newer ones and so on.

DeletedUser103370

Hopefully however I will share a couple of issues which caused headaches. The voting system would add more work for moderators because each thread would need to wait for approval in order to add pool manually since there is no automatic option and also it could stack up like tickets which could lead to unsatisfactory for idea posters. The thread owner still could edit questions, responses, options and even reset votes or delete entire poll. The voting system would mean less comments which most likely would cause active bumping because threads would get burried by newer ones and so on.

Yeah it's no good in this manual form, the problem I think that this is a poll instead of a voting system.
https://xenforo.com/community/resources/xfa-votings-system.5003/
Here's a voting add-on for XenForo, I think we should be better off with something like this
c0dfb5f134736e7508ce746bd0fa9fc0.png

This looks perfect, it even has a "thermometer", tendency, though maybe as you say there would be less comments, not sure about that.

Choice to require voters to input a reason [NEW 1.4.0]
Perhaps something like this could "encourage" people to leave actual feedback too :)
But tbh. not sure if this add-on can be configured to be used automatically in each new created post in a sub-forum category, manual must be checked.

DeletedUser12400

Yeah it's no good in this manual form, the problem I think that this is a polwl instead of a voting system.
https://xenforo.com/community/resources/xfa-votings-system.5003/
Here's a voting add-on for XenForo, I think we should be better off with something like this
c0dfb5f134736e7508ce746bd0fa9fc0.png

This looks perfect, it even has a "thermometer", tendency, though maybe as you say there would be less comments, not sure about that.

Choice to require voters to input a reason [NEW 1.4.0]
Perhaps something like this could "encourage" people to leave actual feedback too :)
But tbh. not sure if this add-on can be configured to be used automatically in each new created post in a sub-forum category, manual must be checked.
If this forum would be mine then I would find the way or work around however it belongs to InnoGames GmbH which makes things difficult.

DeletedUser103370

If this forum would be mine then I would find the way or work around however it belongs to InnoGames GmbH which makes things difficult.

:)) Damn, I thought some of the moderators perhaps have access to it, isn't there a way for us to ask them to give a chance for an add-on like this? Coz once it's installed mods would be able to configure it - if given the privileges -. It costs 12 euros / year.

DeletedUser12400

:)) Damn, I thought some of the moderators perhaps have access to it, isn't there a way for us to ask them to give a chance for an add-on like this? Coz once it's installed mods would be able to configure it - if given the privileges -.
Even if we have access without permission we can't do anything and there is always a risk that something may went wrong after the implementation. Of course you can put up this add-on idea and hope that it will see the light of day:rolleyes:

DeletedUser103370

Even if we have access without permission we can't do anything and there is always a risk that something may went wrong after the implementation. Of course you can put up this add-on idea and hope that it will see the light of day:rolleyes:

Oooooh myyyyy, if it will be as successful as my other topics, then there is ZERO chance :DDDD
Anyhow, I'll do it later, just checking the xenforo addons, maybe I could find something better, or even free!
Thank you for the answers!

Just to remember later I put this other add-on here https://xenforo.com/community/resources/thread-ratings.2276/

this one is a rating system and it's free
9f9c3f87865e55fef44b8f8589af0d27.png

DeletedUser4089

You really disappoint me with your weak answers. There wouldn't be more work for moderators, threads need not wait for approval, polls can be added instantly by any user if they are given rights in settings, so don't try feeding me that crap.

So you're taking what could be advantages being able to edit a poll to update it to ongoing idea discussion, reset it if an idea radically changes.

A voting system would mean less useless comments (-1/+1), those that give input on ideas will still give textual input to convey points.

Innogames' other game, Elvenaar, have forums exactly as these ones... They have polls, I've used them, they work well. So quit trying to say Inno won't let you have polls.

If you really don't want to help the community, just say so.

DeletedUser103370

You really disappoint me with your weak answers. There wouldn't be more work for moderators, threads need not wait for approval, polls can be added instantly by any user if they are given rights in settings, so don't try feeding me that crap.

So you're taking what could be advantages being able to edit a poll to update it to ongoing idea discussion, reset it if an idea radically changes.

A voting system would mean less useless comments (-1/+1), those that give input on ideas will still give textual input to convey points.

Innogames' other game, Elvenaar, have forums exactly as these ones... They have polls, I've used them, they work well. So quit trying to say Inno won't let you have polls.

If you really don't want to help the community, just say so.

I think what @OVERTYPE means has to do with privileges. In these kind of software users/usergroups can have different access to different features/packages. Moreover, even if elvenar has the same (Xenforo community forum), they can have different add-ons, and different settings, and the moderators not necessarily have access to these!

I'm not saying they don't, I just don't know.
What I suspect though is that if the matter could be taken to inno, I don't think that a 12 euro extra fee yearly would hold them back :)
If we want these changes, we should push it as high as possible, in other words we would need +1 votes, and many.
Surprisingly if you look at it, people either don't care, or even don't agree.

We'll see, but we NEVER give up :DD

DeletedUser4089

I think what he means has to do with privileges. In these kind of software users/usergroups can have different access to different features/packages. Moreover, even if elvenar has the same (Xenforo community forum), they can have different add-ons, and different settings, and the moderators not necessarily have access to these!

I'm not saying they don't, I just don't know.
What I suspect though is that if the matter could be taken to inno, I don't think that a 12 euro extra fee every year would hold them back :)
If we want these changes, we should push it as high as possible, in other words we would need +1 votes, and many.
Surprisingly if you look at it, people either don't care, or even don't agree.

We'll see.
The poll system used on this forum by moderators is preloaded in even the most basic xenforo account. You can go to xenforo, load an empty demo forum, and instantly have the option to create a poll in a new thread.
They have simply turned the feature off here for non-staff users.
They simply need turn it back on.
No add-ons required.

DeletedUser103370

The poll system used on this forum by moderators is preloaded in even the most basic xenforo account. You can go to xenforo, load an empty demo forum, and instantly have the option to create a poll in a new thread.
They have simply turned the feature off here for non-staff users.
They simply need turn it back on.
No add-ons required.

But if the moderators don't have the privilege to set access, then they simply can't turn it back!
Or for example it could happen, that they do have the privilege, but the add-on is pre-configured in a way, that a moderator has to manually confirm it.
Oh and by add-on I mean if you check the Xenforo community forum, you'll see that there are countless add-ons, which modifies the behavior of part of the features, we can't really be sure what they use here.
There are many possibilities, I just really don't know.

The bigger problem as I see it, is that polls are not really what we are looking for. Of course it can be used to summarize opinion in every thread, but what we'd really need is thread-ratings! (simple +/- votes on each thread, in default the forum was made in a way, that "likes" on the first post determine how much the thread is "liked")
Still I'd let users to create their own polls too, after all it could be a tool to make a thread a bit more interesting.

DeletedUser4089

Well my idea was deemed the same and sent away, so I have to post here.

On further inspection , it seems xenforo by default has no way to restrict users from creating polls. So Inno ADDED an add-on which allows them to set user permissions on who can post polls and where. This will be available in the ACP which is available to a few people that use this forum every day. If staff would like a walkthrough on how to change the permissions, feel free to PM me.