• Dear forum reader,
    To actively participate in our forum discussions or to start your own threads, in addition to your game account, you need a forum account. You can
    REGISTER HERE!
    Please ensure a translation into English is provided if your post is not in English and to respect your fellow players when posting.
  • We are looking for you!
    Always wanted to join our Support or Forum Team? We are looking for enthusiastic moderators!
    Take a look at our recruitment page for more information and how you can apply:
    Apply
  • Forum Contests

Won't you join us for out latest contest?
    You can check out the newest one here.

Increase the movement speed of ranged units

DeletedUser108047

Not sure where you are getting all your information but frankly... seems bunkum

A number of scholars estimate Roman Archers (and actually foot archers in general) carried approximately 30-50 arrows in a quiver - and these would be a mix of light, heavy and hunting heads. At an average weight of about 200gm per arrow - they were carrying perhaps 6-10kg as part of their kit.

No I meant heavier arrows - medieval long-bowmen generally used heavier arrows - in part the head, but also becuse of the extra length of the arrow (because of the length of the bow)

I didn't say useless but Roman arrows, regardless of head, are less effective against Medieval steel plate and steel mail than longbows. The proof of the argument is ultimately in the pudding. Crecy was the height of the success of the longbow... thereafter, pikes were the response to heavy cavalry & knights etc until rifles were invented - because the longbow (and later the knight) became less effective as war strategy and equipment changed

I suggest you change your strategy...rather than change the game - it will have much more immediate success

DeletedUser109385

Not sure where you are getting all your information but frankly... seems bunkum

A number of scholars estimate Roman Archers (and actually foot archers in general) carried approximately 30-50 arrows in a quiver - and these would be a mix of light, heavy and hunting heads. At an average weight of about 200gm per arrow - they were carrying perhaps 6-10kg as part of their kit.

No I meant heavier arrows - medieval long-bowmen generally used heavier arrows - in part the head, but also becuse of the extra length of the arrow (because of the length of the bow)

I didn't say useless but Roman arrows, regardless of head, are less effective against Medieval steel plate and steel mail than longbows. The proof of the argument is ultimately in the pudding. Crecy was the height of the success of the longbow... thereafter, pikes were the response to heavy cavalry & knights etc until rifles were invented - because the longbow (and later the knight) became less effective as war strategy and equipment changed

I suggest you change your strategy...rather than change the game - it will have much more immediate success
Seriously where are you getting all of this information from? When I try to find this there is not much of it and no number of each arrow weighted 200gm. Can you send me a link to your sources? Just to be sure. By the way not sure about the grams of each arrow but the bows could actually fire at 400 yards! So I guess I was right about the Longbow archers being the same as Roman archers in terms of range. Range of 6 should have been kept

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser109268

Seriously where are you getting all of this information from? When I try to find this there is not much of it and no number of each arrow weighted 200gm. Can you send me a link to your sources? Just to be sure.

I always used to defeat higher ages troops but never complained about changing anything in any unit... If you decide to do so do not complain otherwise, as wisely suggested many times... upgrade troops and move on. It is an old habit of yours ..since you complained why you could not defeat cannons with ballistas mate...Do not do so, you downgrade yourself. Cheers

DeletedUser109385

well I tell you it is pointless complaining
Well it is now about the other topic you mentioned but before when I actually did then it wasn't. Just like the many players who are complaining about the nerfing of Rail Guns I can do the same with other units(Who actually have never been nerfed)

DeletedUser109268

Well it is now about the other topic you mentioned but before when I actually did then it wasn't. Just like the many players who are complaining about the nerfing of Rail Guns I can do the same with other units(Who actually have never been nerfed)

so if someone jumps off the cliff so do you.. Hope you get my point but anyway.. keep on doing so at will. Just trying to help here.Cheers

DeletedUser109385

so if someone jumps off the cliff so do you.. Hope you get my point but anyway.. keep on doing so at will. Just trying to help here.Cheers
Why would I jump off a clip for no reason? Unless the person is trying to flee from any danger which will also affect me than I will otherwise NO.

DeletedUser109268

You said others complain about Rail guns be nerfed so , if others jump off the cliff you do the same? That was my point but nevermind pal. Go on. Cheers

DeletedUser109385

You said others complain about Rail guns be nerfed so , if others jump off the cliff you do the same? That was my point but nevermind pal. Go on. Cheers
Let me try and put this into context
Gaming: People are complaining about Rail guns which makes it harder to fight Context: People are scared that some is going after them as soon as they are caught they will be killed.
Gaming: What do they do as their only option? Complain about it and hope that it will get fixed Context: What do they do after they reach a dead end with nowhere to go but the cliffs? You jump from it and just hope you will survive and avoid capture, either way you will be killed(But jumping off cliffs provides some chance of survival).
Hope you get it

DeletedUser109268

complaining never helped anything or anyone, It was a kind suggestion for you to use that time in a better way. You can ignore my comments and keep on going that road. That's ok with me. Cheers

DeletedUser108047

There is lots of information out there both online and in real books (odd I know) about the military technology of the Romans. One such online extract of a PhD is The Bow and Arrow during the Roman Era* Petru Ureche. Its not the whole answer but it does look at various claims about the ability of the roman technology. My responses have been drawn from about 20 years of reading on Roman & European military history, about 20 books in my library and a number of sites - history, historical re-enactment & bow & arrow interest sites. I suggest you continue with your own research - there is lots of information out there.

When doing so, you also need to bear in mind when examining roman history that it encompases well over 1000 years. If we are going by the uniforms used in the game then the discussion should be limited to technology pre the 3rd Century AD.

In relation to the arrow weight... arrows by definition need to be light. Archeological research has determined weights for Roman arrow heads from between 30 and 200gm roughly - depending on type and function. I chose 200gm as a net arrow weight (shaft, fletching and head) just to make the math easy. You may say that means I am underestimating the number of arrows an archer would carry - not at all. There are numerous original texts outlining the level of supply for legions for campaigns. Several examples confirm that a legion was supplied with 200 arrows per archer for a campaign. The archer would not carry them all. They would be carried in supply wagons. Why? Because when you add up the total weight of a legionaire/auxillary's kit - they couldn't have carried it all and remained a light quick moving rapid response army - which is what the Roman Army pre the Barbarian invasions was generally.

I'll let you have the last word... as it seems that is your preference

Ummm it seems @Soldatos that you have actually managed to completely undermine your complaint about archers being underpowered...

https://forum.en.forgeofempires.com...mpion-of-east-nagach.22345/page-4#post-215118

Congrats on the battle - nicely done :)

Last edited by a moderator: