• Dear forum reader,
    To actively participate in our forum discussions or to start your own threads, in addition to your game account, you need a forum account. You can
    REGISTER HERE!
    Please ensure a translation into English is provided if your post is not in English and to respect your fellow players when posting.
  • We are looking for you!
    Always wanted to join our Support or Forum Team? We are looking for enthusiastic moderators!
    Take a look at our recruitment page for more information and how you can apply:
    Apply
  • Forum Contests

Won't you join us for out latest contest?
    You can check out the newest one here.

Idea for a New Plundering System

DeletedUser

I like the idea of protection from attacks. I would be interested in providing it in exchange for diamonds, if the game allowed it. A player who did not want to have an army or be attacked could purchase protection from any other player of his choice. Incoming attacks directed at the protected player would be diverted to the protector, BUT if the protector lost then you would still get plundered and then you better find a stronger protector.

DeletedUser

Somewhere there is a calculation that was done showing it is more cost effective to gain the territories through negotiation than with armies.

On the plundering v non plundering--- what if there were an aspect of the game that somehow forced people into trading ( I don't know how that would work, this is just a what if example) whether they wanted to or not. Because this is a game about trading! :p If you want real historical examples, empires were often expanded to acquire trade goods and trading rights and routes. My what if suggestion is more real life historical than some of the pro mandatory plundering arguments put forth. Not that I think that real life is a basis for what is programmed into a click and grow computer simulation... but if you want to advance those arguments at least get the history right. :p

Mandatory trade makes far more sense that allowing all and sundry to be plundered.

How about the paying of scuttage and tribute?

etc...

But, again, I want to preserve all aspects in a more harmonious state than they currently are in. If you take away all of the fighting, it's essentially Castleville, and if you manditorily force constant battling and plundering, then it's one of those hard-core war-games. This game is neither of those games, which is a great appeal in my opinion, so I do think that no aspect should be removed outright like what some have suggested. Balance, balance, balance! That's my only real initiative.

But, then again, as I said about American politics not taking too kindly to centrists, it appears to me that most people are attracted to extremes and forsake balance. For instance, either all military might and plundering, or no military might and no plundering. Middle people like me are never favored, for some reason, despite trying to strike a balance between the two, which I personally think that life is ultimately about trying to learn and practice balance in innumerable ways. Without balance, things crash and fall into chaos.

I like the idea of protection from attacks. I would be interested in providing it in exchange for diamonds, if the game allowed it. A player who did not want to have an army or be attacked could purchase protection from any other player of his choice. Incoming attacks directed at the protected player would be diverted to the protector, BUT if the protector lost then you would still get plundered and then you better find a stronger protector.

Because this is a free to play game (I'm sure plenty of players buy diamonds to advance quicker, anyway), I'd rather try to keep this option viable for all. I think a large sum of people play free games because they don't have money to play other games! Also, the deflecting attacks back at an opponent somewhat baffles me. It just seems like a bizarre feature to add to this game. I think that it would simply be better to make players who opt for protection pay in more abstract ways (taking away battle capabilities) while rewarding those who would rather be vulnerable and take part in PvP (as I elaborated from hydro9226's idea - boosting production and battle points somewhere between 10-20% for leaving themselves vulnerable.)

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser7244

Plundering is just part of the game, if you don't like the game then don't play it. Anyway what you lose from being plundered can quite easily be plundered back. having a strong military force plays a large part in the game, although it is possible to not have an army, the game suddenly seems smaller and there is less strategy to it if you decided not to have one.

Instead of changing a game that doesn't fit some peoples style, maybe add a new world (or make a varient of FoE) where there is no army and everyone is at peace.

DeletedUser

-100 to this idea, it would take all the fun out of game for many people. Also it should be in the ideas section, and in the proper template, so I won't comment on details...looks like just another person who wants the game to change to fit their needs, because they're mad they got plundered.

DeletedUser

Plundering is just part of the game, if you don't like the game then don't play it. Anyway what you lose from being plundered can quite easily be plundered back.

Reminds me of a quote from a picture off the internet using Dungeons and Dragons alignments to describe different kinds of players (in Call of Duty.) Under 'Lawful Evil,' (the same alignment for devils in D&D, by the way), the quote is, "Grenade launchers are a part of the game. If you don't like it, don't play." I'm more like the 'Lawful Neutral,' where the quote was, "Requesting air support! I repeat! Requesting air support!" Otherwise, I take a less active role as 'True Neutral,' the quote for that one being, "..."

Anyhow, notice how I like to remain somewhere in the middle. Most people lean toward one of the extremes. I think there should be more centrist rulers in the world, but it seems like that would never happen because they aren't extreme enough for people (e.g. extreme left-wing, liberal democrat.) Now, why do people in these online games (of all games!) need to be so extreme? If any game is to be well-rounded and adaptable for a wide variety of players, it ought to be the online ones! You get such a bigger audience interacting with one another, it seems direly important to maintain balance and stray away from extremes.

I think that, if people are really so adamant about all this plunder-palooza, then they should only be able to plunder half of what that person was manufacturing and leave half for the player to collect (or if two attack and plunder the same building, then it's all gone), or the percentage of what can be taken from a producer is equivalent to how many units they still have intact (2/8 is 1/4, thus 25%, and 25% of 20 iron, for instance, would be 5 iron.) After all, if they really take such a beating and lose so many people, how do they plan on carrying all of that plunder off with them?

Don't ignore the open wound - it'll just get infected. Best to treat the problem as swiftly and effectively as possible instead of letting it fester. People give way too much credit to the 'theme' of the game to justify what are simply poor or excessive actions and views that don't apply in the real world. The game might be based in eras of the past, but does that really mean that each player must make themselves equally primitive and barbaric? And I'm really shocked to see some of these people deemed 'altruists,' as they blatantly contradict the very definition of the word. That most certainly doesn't apply to everyone, though.

But please, people, stop being narrow-minded. Place yourself in other people's shoes, grow a heart with some empathy - or sympathy if you can't achieve that - and maintain at least some degree of civility. If you really, really are so adamant about attacking and plundering like a war-frenzied viking, then maybe you should play a real war-game, not this. Or if you really don't want plundering or attacking, play Castleville!

(Plus, it's a bit embarrassing to admit, but I couldn't find the 'Ideas Section' for some reason and so just posted it here, figuring a moderator could just move the thread if need be. Could it be that being signed out makes the forum somehow appear differently signed out than signed in? Hmm... But I think that the 'Feedback' section would've been more fitting as they both encourage an open forum of discussion of both feedback and ideas.)

I just thought up another idea! Perhaps plundering could be removed and, instead, players are awarded goods from the PvP tower. That way, pure military might can get an income of goods without having to be at the detriment of others. The competition, the PvP, all of that remains, and I've heard most people who are for plundering that the only real reason why they would need to plunder is because they don't produce goods themselves due to investing in military units or to 'make up for' having to replace units they lost when attacking another player's city. I think this sounds like an 'everybody wins' sort of idea. I mean, I was sure that's how my previous idea was, but people seem to be utterly unable to change their angle hardly one bit.

The amount of goods awarded would of course go in a grade from 1st to last place. 1st place gets a much larger sum of goods than last place (or the places that fought but didn't win any medals.) Instead of accounting for how much they would lose out from not plundering, they create averages in respect to a pure trader. A pure trader probably could easily produce 80 goods a day, and for 3 days that would be 240 goods (or is the tournament 4 days? in which case it would be 320.) The top ranked person would then get a total 320 goods from their age (e.g. an Iron Age Champion might get 64 limestone, 64 ebony, 64 iron, 64 cloth, and 64 jewelry.) This could make up for days of attacking, I think, and you would also get medals! It would increase people's urge to do PvP, I think, as they could potentially get both medals and extra goods (or goods they cannot manufacture.)

To figure the lower places (6th, 7th, 8th... and so on) you would just divide the 1st place value by the individual's place (e.g. the person in 5th place would get a total of 64 goods because 64 is 320/5.) That 64 would then be divided by 5 to figure how much of each good from a given age he or she receives (13, rounded up.) Obviously each game has it's own system for rounding numbers - some doing round up at all and require an individual to have whole numbers, others round to a degree, some from 0.5... I think it could be easily sorted out, but I think that rounding up for each individual good (13*5, or 65 goods) because then they aren't losing out, and it wouldn't be detrimental, anyway, to through an extra one a player's way.

DeletedUser

I am not advocating getting entirely rid of the plundering part of the game. I am saying that the idea originally presented which lets people opt in or opt out of that part of the game would be a good one. It is well debatable as to whether plundering requires strategy. From what I understand you get your armies out to battle an AI that is not very skilled. Strategy to me involves maximising production I need, being able to trade for the goods I need, acquiring goods solely for the purpose of retrading them on the market ( often to help my newer guild members and thus helping strengthen the guild and the like. So strategy can mean different things to different people and a well designed game such as this has a balance of activities to attract a wide range of players.

But there is no virtue in being one kind of player or another. Someone who favours plundering or not, someone who plays all day or 3 times a week...no value judgment to be made. At the end of the day we are talking about ways to enjoy a game, which at least for me fills up no important space in my life. It is just a game.

DeletedUser

While I know you can't please everyone, this feels like a harder crowd than normal... Kind of just feel like throwing out ideas like a machine gun until finally people start to agree! Not that that would necessarily make a difference. But, in the ideas section, 'opt out of plundering' is already listed as an already proposed idea, and hasn't been put into either the bad or great ideas sub-threads and hasn't been labelled as being implemented in the future or not implemented.

But has there been a poll for this sort of idea, yet? Not sure how polls are made or who makes them. If more than half, but not too much more, were against it, then it feels like all the more justification to add it! It would mean that more than half of the players wouldn't use it, anyway, making PvP and plundering a real non-issue. For those who want PvP and plundering, there would be plenty of others to PvP and plunder with, while the lesser degree of people could opt out.

The AI has been brought up innumerable times and it was described something like a, 'continuous issue,' or some such, implying that it could take a long time before that's adequate. If the AI were much better, this really wouldn't be a problem, but that just isn't the case, so it seems like there has to be another system put into place to patch that issue up until the AI can finally be fixed. And what about my (initial) idea makes it less worthy of consideration than other ideas that - in the beta - have become implemented from ideas from people like you or me in the ideas section? I mostly wanted a discussion about it, first, anyway, and as I stated before, it's already been submitted in the ideas section, anyway. Maybe not as exact, but the sticky thread said not to post it again.

But I agree wholeheartedly with astar. The idea that I presented and that wanted a discussion to evolve is about making the game overall more fun for the masses. And I feel like a broken record saying that I'm not talking about taking a feature out, but rather adding a feature. There's a big difference. It makes the game overall more agreeable for a wider range of people. Is there some sort of "plunderer's club" lobbying to keep the game from changing, or at least from changing in a way that they and only they say it can? Because it's kind of feeling that way.

DeletedUser

I like the idea..I also believe there should be a diffrence between being "plunderd",,and/or harrassed.The whole plundering when ever,however,whoever,gives the top 5 in a neighborhood free access to attack all the time,,I have been harrased by the top player.Whos armys are powerfull against my soldiers.None of us,being constantly plunderd by a guild of bullies,will ever be able to achieve much.But that is what you want,right?Otherwise you would emplement a 24 hr hold on plunders.

DeletedUser653

No no no .......

theres some logic in the plundering aspect of the game.

You have no troops and lots of buildings, I am a PVP player and have 12 troop buildings (needed if you attack 80 players a day) but have no room for many goods buildings. Is it unfair that you have such and advantage over me? No of course its not we all make a free choice, but the plundering option does reward me for such a big investment in troops and makes the game a little fairer.

So plundering does have a role to play in the game and should not be stopped

VFRMark

DeletedUser7131

Plundering

To those who have not been exposed to plundering on other mmo's all I can say is.....you REALLY don't know how mild the plundering is in FOE. At most you lose some time/gold/supplies, this is nothing compared to some mmo's where you can lose an investment developed over years overnight. You can boost your defenses to make it more expensive for a player to attack you or time your builds so you dont leave supplies or goods laying around for the taking. Besides, the game is called "Forge of Empires" not "Forge of the Fluffy Bunnies". I do farm(ie plunder) on a regular basis for the goodies as well as the tournament points for medals, and I in turn have others who do the same to me. Some like to build, some like to fight, I like to build so I can fight. So as they say down under.....Toughen the fudge up princess.

DeletedUser

Well, I didn't realise this post was still going. Anyhow, I'd just like to say that I essentially have no presence in this game, anymore, and not actually because of the plundering. I ended up being able to stick it to all those higher up players by making certain there really was nothing worth getting and found myself quite content from that. Rather, my guild seemed to crumble over a short period of time and I didn't find anyone in the game to keep me interested. I invested a lot into a guild that seemed to disappear almost overnight and wasn't fond of the idea of starting all over again, plus I no longer had all of the time and energy as when I started. I was trying to be a pacifist, primarily, when writing up this idea. If it keeps discussion going and eventually leads to change, then good for whoever manages to get that to happen. If not, then good for those who managed to keep it from happening. I no longer have an opinion regarding this discussion - it's just all about an individual's play style and what they expect from the game.