• Dear forum reader,
    To actively participate in our forum discussions or to start your own threads, in addition to your game account, you need a forum account. You can
    REGISTER HERE!
    Please ensure a translation into English is provided if your post is not in English and to respect your fellow players when posting.
  • We are looking for you!
    Always wanted to join our Support or Forum Team? We are looking for enthusiastic moderators!
    Take a look at our recruitment page for more information and how you can apply:
    Apply
  • Forum Contests

Won't you join us for out latest contest?
    You can check out the newest one here.

Give a generic building, not a specific one

Proposal:

As prizes for expeditions, do mot give a specific building but instead give the building type. For example, instead of giving a Tannery in the Inventory, give a 'Production Building'. The specific production building is determined when the item is used from the inventory, instead of when it is given as a prize.

(I could not find any similar suggestion.)

The same could apply to happiness buildings and houses, but I will give examples with production buildings.

The same mechanism could be used for Events.

Reason:

A player might not want another production building until they have entered the next age, or may even have surpassed the technology and be planning to build a better production building (this happened with me, where I was given a tannery having recently deleted one to build a shoemaker and was planning to build alchemists next).

The prize has greater meaning when it is relevant at the time it is wanted, rather than being only relevant when it is given. It can create a negative feeling to be given something useless other than any cashing-in value.

Details:

The expedition front-end remains unchanged. It already says something like "Production Building .. 20%".

When the production building is given as a reward, an item is put into the inventory that says "Production building."

When the player chooses to use the building from the Inventory, the exact building is determined at that time. This can be done in one of two ways:
  1. The existing algorithm is used to provide a specific building. This, I assume, will be least trouble to implement but less flexible for the player.
  2. The user is allowed to choose a production building from those in the Build menu (other than diamond ones, presumably). This gives the player most flexibility and means they can choose, for example, a 3x2 Alchemist rather than a 4x5 farm. Unless able to utilise code from the initial tutorial, this facility might not be so easy to implement.

Visual Aids:

(None needed?)

Balance:

By being able to store buildings in the inventory by type rather than by unit, players can more easily afford to build as soon as they have the required technology. A player who gets a 'Production Building' in the Iron Age could potentially hold onto it until they can build a Shellfish Farm, though this is highly unlikely as they would miss out on the benefits in the meantime.

If the faster development is seen as an issue, the item in the inventory could have a coins and supply value given to it which the player must make up the difference when using it for a specific building. That's getting messy for a very minor issue, though.

Summary:

Players concerned about irrelevancies in Expeditions (or who find Events annoying) might change their mind if the ability is there to collect buildings which will have some future relevance.

This proposal will make players more satisfied with playing the game, less annoyed at being given the 'wrong' building and lead to greater interactivity.

DeletedUser100065

So players would never need to build production buildings ever again? Do GE win some of these kits and then move up an age and you have supply buildings ahead of your current technology. Seems like it'd cause a lot of inbalance unless i'm not understanding this right.

So players would never need to build production buildings ever again? Do GE win some of these kits and then move up an age and you have supply buildings ahead of your current technology. Seems like it'd cause a lot of inbalance unless i'm not understanding this right.
I suspect you misunderstand me.

At present in Expeditions, Quests and Events you can be given a building. Let us assume that it is a culture building. In your inventory will be placed a culture building (the earliest?) of the age you are in.

Unless you are just in the process of re-jigging your city and expanding your population, this culture building is not wanted. Quite probably, by the time you do want a culture building, the one in your inventory is outdated and you want to build a better one than in your inventory. So, you build the old one from your inventory, immediately delete it for the coins and production, then get on and build the one you want.

The 'prize' you were given is .. well, not worthless exactly but only worth the scrapping value.

I propose that for Expeditions and Events when given a building, it can be turned into one that you are more likely to actually want to keep, not one that you are most likely frustrated by and just end up scrapping. It would, however, still be one that you are technically capable of building at the time you take it from your inventory.

You would be given no more buildings of any type than at present: just a potentially more useful one.

DeletedUser104881

I can see why this might be appealing to some players, but the reward should surely fit the effort. If you won a production building in Iron Age at relatively little cost to the player to have an eventual Oceanic Future production building seems somewhat distorted. A prize is still a prize, and actually I am always keen to open a new era before an event so that I can best benefit from the rewards. The reward has to reflect the effort put in, otherwise everyone would win all their buildings in Iron Age and stop trying.

DeletedUser110195

It's not always the earliest building of your age, it can be any of them, it may seem like they're all the lowest but speaking from first hand experience they are not. In both late middle and colonial I got buildings that were from techs at the end of the age.

I can see why this might be appealing to some players, but the reward should surely fit the effort. If you won a production building in Iron Age at relatively little cost to the player to have an eventual Oceanic Future production building seems somewhat distorted.
I raised that point myself but, really, how likely is it that someone will hold on to it for the months (years?) just for that. I think it highly unlikely.

If it is considered a problem and that is the only objection to delivering a prize that is valued, I am sure there are mechanisms that could be created (limit to current or next age, or even by time, etc.) so that it can't happen.

Vesiger

Monarch
Sounds like another case of making the game easier, I'm afraid - the more research you've done in your era, the less exciting the prizes become (because you already have them, or the capability to build them). That's life.
It's like the business with the extra attempts - if you're going to give out that many 'prizes', you've got to have a fair proportion of wooden spoons among them to avoid Monty Haul syndrome. At least extra GE attempts don't clutter up your inventory long term....)

DeletedUser16126

-1, reasearching technologies to get benefits is an important part of the game. It's part of the challenge of the game to go deeper in the techtree to get the better rewards. Even if you can get them in GE, you still need the units to do the fights to come all the way to these better rewards. If you play GE, you won't be able to get the best supplies from GE the first week. What you suggest is to get those awards at the end of the previous era and get them for free once you enter a new are. this doesn't look right, nor it will fullfill the excitement related to moving through the techtree