• Dear forum reader,
    To actively participate in our forum discussions or to start your own threads, in addition to your game account, you need a forum account. You can
    REGISTER HERE!
    Please ensure a translation into English is provided if your post is not in English and to respect your fellow players when posting.
  • We are looking for you!
    Always wanted to join our Support or Forum Team? We are looking for enthusiastic moderators!
    Take a look at our recruitment page for more information and how you can apply:
    Apply
  • Forum Contests

Won't you join us for out latest contest?
    You can check out the newest one here.

Game mechanics and guild policy

STBs

Private
Introduction
I have my main account in Greifental and am a member of the guild Lords of War (LOW). We have held first position for the entire time of GvG until rather recently. In this text I want to explain why we have drastically changed policy and why I personally am rather fed up with FOE.
Guild policy
LOW have so far actively tried to keep as much land as possible and secure the position as leading guild. Just recently we have given up and will release most of our sectors and just kill any guilds that happen to be close. In ages where we have not been hit we will probably not do any special action.
Background
LOW was some time ago attacked by a “family” of guilds call Unseen (UU, UC, UF). The players are jumping between those guilds and attack from the one that can cause the most damage for the moment. In all previous conflicts with other guilds, their target has been to hold as much land as possible. The Unseen release the sectors behind them and are just trying to cause as much damage as possible to us. With this approach, it is impossible to defend. They can lay new sieges as often as they like with no cost in troops and a minimal amount of goods. LOW have killed countless of sieges, kicked them off the map, but nothing is stopping them from coming back and starting over. We are now fed up with watching the map 24/7 and killing sieges that cost them less than a day’s production of one single player. It will probably be really fun to cause Armageddon until something changes. For me it is either that or quit playing.
In short: The game mechanics promotes us acting like this so we will until something have changed.
Problem in the game mechanics
The cost for the first sieges is now almost negligible even compared to the production of a single player. Depending of age, it is easy to own up to 5 sectors and still make new sieges without even thinking. It is supposed to be GvG wars, but when it is possible for one or very few players to make such a difference, it is not only guild wars, but also some kind of PvG.
Suggestions for a better GvG experience
1. Cost of sieges should be higher.
1.1. Make the sieges cost troops. It is very illogical that you can use the same army over and over and watch it be killed every time.
1.2. Start the cost for a siege with at least 100 goods of each kind. It should require a guild to collect enough goods and make a difference.
2. Remove the unfair clicking and timing contest. Too much is dependent on the internet speed, latency and computer speed.
2.1. When entering a battle, the minimum time it takes should be a fixed amount of seconds even if the computer has finished loading earlier. I suppose it should be somewhere around 10 seconds.
2.2. When a siege is killed, the defending guild should be guaranteed to place at least one defending army if this is done within 10s after the siege is killed. (This can be also achieved by making it take a couple of seconds to set a siege, and a couple of seconds between each replacement of defense. It can also be modified to one guaranteed replacement every second or third siege.)
3. Make an icon be visible whenever the guild is attacked, just like the icon for finished production.
4. Limit the times possible for attacks to normal daytime. As it is now, players from other time zones can rule during night. This could be the case for international servers, but for domestic servers the action should be limited to times when normal citizens are awake. I would like to suggest 08:00 to 22:00, but can naturally be discussed.
Notes
Changes 1.1 and 1.2 will make ghosting much more difficult. It should require a guild to collect enough goods and make a difference.
Changes 2.1 and 2.2 will remove the advantage of superior hardware and internet connection. (Players should spend their money at the game, not computer hardware.) It will also be more important to have larger guilds with more active players participating in attacks or defenses. The longer time it takes to do each attack, the more important will it be to have more players participating. I think the game will be enriched of having larger guilds that promotes cooperation instead of zillions of miniature guilds.
Change 3 will promote playing actively with the city, writing messages, trading or other fun activities. Watching a dull map is boring and kills the fun of playing.
Change 4 is kind of obvious. Why should it be an advantage to be playing at any server but the one for my country?
The ultimate goal is to make sure the guild with most online fighters wins the battle and the guild with most production of goods can hold most sectors. Other changes that can be considered is to restrict the possibility to release sectors or increase cost for consecutive sieges. A sector could for example be considered to be owned for a week or a month after being released when calculating cost for sieges.

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser99445

It sounds like the ultimate goal is to benefit the large guilds again and kill off everyone else.
-1 from me.
Another example of big guilds complaining that it still isn't easy enough for them. LOL Ridiculous.

DeletedUser9614

Pretty much everything that is listed in the initial post is true and needs to be done to prevent evolution of PvG. Till then let's have fun and make Armageddon for everybody.
+1

DeletedUser99445

Pretty much everything that is listed in the initial post is true and needs to be done to prevent evolution of PvG. Till then let's have fun and make Armageddon for everybody.
+1

Armageddon rocks so you will at least have some fun.

DeletedUser105544

Armageddon rocks so you will at least have some fun.

Agree, there is no point to participate in GvG if nobody dares to attack top guilds. Additionally, big guilds non-attacking policy restricts warlike players in these guilds to enjoy their style of game play (and their love for warfare is the reason for participating in GvG, I suppose). As for me personally, I hate to see all my barracks full of healthy unused units for more than a day.
Armageddon is the best thing that can happen to warlike people! :)

DeletedUser99445

Agree, there is no point to participate in GvG if nobody dares to attack top guilds. Additionally, big guilds non-attacking policy restricts warlike players in these guilds to enjoy their style of game play (and their love for warfare is the reason for participating in GvG, I suppose). As for me personally, I hate to see all my barracks full of healthy unused units for more than a day.
Armageddon is the best thing that can happen to warlike people! :)

Totally agree :)

DeletedUser11899

sorry but I cannot agree with these proposals

what about the younger o newer guilds? Those high costs make almost impossible the GvG participation for them.
Dont use a sledgehammer to crack nuts.

Research formulas to penalize the true ghosters if you want, but is a bad idea to redo all GvG mechanics just for particular conveniences.

just my thoughts

DeletedUser9614

Till the mechanics will change the massive ghosting will occurs...

Estipar

Chief Warrant Officer
sorry but I cannot agree with these proposals

what about the younger o newer guilds? Those high costs make almost impossible the GvG participation for them.
Dont use a sledgehammer to crack nuts.

Research formulas to penalize the true ghosters if you want, but is a bad idea to redo all GvG mechanics just for particular conveniences.

just my thoughts

GvG is IMPOSSIBLE for smaller (Newer) Guilds now .. so what difference will it make.. GvG is almost dead anyhow ;-( .. apart from the occasional flurry from the bigger Guilds and the occasional foray by Rogue Guilds !!

DeletedUser65431

We have held first position for the entire time of GvG until rather recently.
:rolleyes: So, have all of these problems just emerged rather recently? Maybe, around the time your guild were taking a beating? :rolleyes:

DeletedUser9614

No. These problems were for very long time. However, if posting on forums over and over does not work, let's inflict pain on hundreds of players. Maybe this will get to developers. You always have to try something new.

DeletedUser16126

STBs... welcome to the world that smaller guilds face since the start of GvG.

But actions are needed to prevent the misuse of certain technics, but small guilds shall not be punished for misuse of certain mechanics in the game.
If Inno want they can easily set a set of unaccepted behaviour and ban people still using these way of playing,
But INNO doesn't want it.

DeletedUser99445

No. These problems were for very long time. However, if posting on forums over and over does not work, let's inflict pain on hundreds of players. Maybe this will get to developers. You always have to try something new.

Its GVG so your supposed to fight with each other. If they change to GLG (guild love guild) then you can stop fighting and make the love rather than the war.

DeletedUser14664

To avoid being ghosted - be nice to others and don't threaten people :)

DeletedUser100832

the thing about latency is the most annoying one. Basically, if you have someone living close to the server, your guild will have a huge advantage. We don't, so we keep having to fight 100 battles instead of 80 on sectors we take, and having guilds fully defend sectors near us, release, wait for us to siege and win nearly all battles and then siege it themselves, and then it's protected for another 24 hours.

some other mechanism is needed here.

DeletedUser2989

Suggestions for a better GvG experience
1. Cost of sieges should be higher.
1.1. Make the sieges cost troops. It is very illogical that you can use the same army over and over and watch it be killed every time.
1.2. Start the cost for a siege with at least 100 goods of each kind. It should require a guild to collect enough goods and make a difference.
2. Remove the unfair clicking and timing contest. Too much is dependent on the internet speed, latency and computer speed.
2.1. When entering a battle, the minimum time it takes should be a fixed amount of seconds even if the computer has finished loading earlier. I suppose it should be somewhere around 10 seconds.
2.2. When a siege is killed, the defending guild should be guaranteed to place at least one defending army if this is done within 10s after the siege is killed. (This can be also achieved by making it take a couple of seconds to set a siege, and a couple of seconds between each replacement of defense. It can also be modified to one guaranteed replacement every second or third siege.)
3. Make an icon be visible whenever the guild is attacked, just like the icon for finished production.
4. Limit the times possible for attacks to normal daytime. As it is now, players from other time zones can rule during night. This could be the case for international servers, but for domestic servers the action should be limited to times when normal citizens are awake. I would like to suggest 08:00 to 22:00, but can naturally be discussed.

The call to adjust the siege costs in various ways has already been sent to the devs in feedback on GvG, that would include increasing the costs for the first siege, increasing the cost for the first few and decreasing the cost later on, Capping costs and even setting all sectors to the same cost for all guilds. A lot for Inno to think about on that front alone. Siege armies costing troops was also sent to the devs, so suggestions 1., 1.1 and 1.2 have already been sent for the devs to consider.

Suggestion 4 would be impossible to implement on this server as it is an international server for all English speaking players. You might have a valid argument for domestic servers but such suggestions should be brought up on the forums for those servers as we don't want to have discussions about what should happen on other servers in these forums. As far as this server is concerned we have to accept that players that speak English (and aren't in the US) only have this server and that lots of players will be in different time zones.

DeletedUser16126

The call to adjust the siege costs in various ways has already been sent to the devs in feedback on GvG, that would include increasing the costs for the first siege, increasing the cost for the first few and decreasing the cost later on, Capping costs and even setting all sectors to the same cost for all guilds. A lot for Inns to think about on that front alone. Siege armies costing troops was also sent to the devs, so suggestions 1., 1.1 and 1.2 have already been sent for the devs to consider.
Don't see any benefith in decreasing and capping the cost for higher sectors.
So smaller guilds have again to pay hard for developments that were not well thought, and misused.
What will be the result of this: Big guilds taking more space and fight even less and will be less attacked.
GvG will even get blocked more, because smaller guilds get eliminated form GvG in this way!
Please do something on the cause! Don't mix the cause and the effect!

The solution is easy: Don't allow to grant freedom in the first 3 days after capturing a sector, together with not allowing a founder to quit a guild he founded during the first 10 days after creation of a new guild), this will solve a lot of situations that were not the intention when GvG was introduced. This will have more effect, will not punish the smaller players and will really give a benefith for the players taht like to play the game like it was intended

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser10694

.... So smaller guilds have again to pay hard for developments that were not well thought, and misused.
What will be the result of this: Big guilds taking more space and fight even less and will be less attacked.

Isn't that what happens in the real world? Large powerful countries that invest the time and money in army & defense come out with the most land and discourage smaller countries/groups not to even think about attacking them? The hope being that a stalemate is reached and people stop killing each other. However, that doesn't make for an exciting game, a point already made earlier by some & one I can empathize with.

The only problem that needs to be addressed is the prevention, or at least, reducing the attraction of using a small purposely setup guild with a small handful of members that hop across with the sole aim of taking land cheap to get a good foothold, or wearing down another guild with constant sieges that cost them nothing, then attacking them from the main guilds who will keep the land. In the real world you may get small factions who have a go and attack a larger country, but they wont ever be able to find themselves wiping out mass swathes of land/cities at no cost in there troops or in money, and so it is that this game allows that to happen and has so far encouraged this activity by its lack of response to dealing with it.

We stopped playing GvG as a guild 3 months ago because we were fed up of being seiged several sectors in each era at same time for weeks on end and loosing the odd sector as a result by someone with a grudge. That's not to mention we had the same issues mentioned in the main post by the same guild that has been mentioned. When you work hard and put in the effort and goods to win land, to then have 1000's of goods lost in one sector only to a guild that keep resieging one after the other all day at no cost, it's not worth the effort to play the game. So now we are just relaxing and if we spot an oppertunity we might have a half hearted go. But GvG has lost all its interest to most of us these days.

Make it cost troops each siege & 100 each, then add around 20% to each further siege cost. That alone would be a big help. Also put a cap on the number of sectors than can sieged per era at same time, maybe 2 max to stop this several simultaneous sieges per era that some guilds do to wear you down.