• Dear forum reader,
    To actively participate in our forum discussions or to start your own threads, in addition to your game account, you need a forum account. You can
    REGISTER HERE!
    Please ensure a translation into English is provided if your post is not in English and to respect your fellow players when posting.
  • We are looking for you!
    Always wanted to join our Support or Forum Team? We are looking for enthusiastic moderators!
    Take a look at our recruitment page for more information and how you can apply:
    Apply
  • Forum Contests

Won't you join us for out latest contest?
    You can check out the newest one here.

Forum sorting option (for admins or all)

DeletedUser

Forum Improvement Idea

Proposal:
1. The proposal is simply to introduce a sorting function to the guild forum (s).
1.1. This could be for the admins to decide for specific posts OR
1.2. Each player can decide for themselves what order they prefer.

- Thus, the newest replies to a thread shows up first or last, depending on what the forum admins (or each player) decide is the most useful way for that specific post.
- The original post could come up first though, and then the last reply underneath that.

Have you checked the forums for the same or similar idea:
Yes, nothing particular found for this specific sorting idea.

Reason:
- In our guild we have a 'trades' post, where there are more than one page. Being able to see the original post, and then seeing the last replies show up first, would help out a lot because the forum post pages are not always easy to spot for new members, and they might end up replying to an old post.

- It is also better if the admins can choose specific posts, as the normal sorting works for most posts, except threads like trades (or similar with a lot of activity).
Alternatively:
- Each person can choose their preferred method of sorting.

Details:
- Adding a sorting function (Ascending / Descending) to the guild forums, that lets admins (or each player) choose specific posts where the last replies show up first (below the original post).

Visual Aids:
Two buttons:
Sort by: Asc | Desc

How a thread would look like:

1. Original post (I need.../I offer....)
------------------------------------------------
2. Reply #3 (I also need the same....)
3. Reply #2 (I have the last 20....)
4. Reply #1 (I can offer you 20....)

Thus, the newest reply is always the one just underneath the OP.

Balance/Abuse Prevention:
Does not change the game and don't see how this can be abused in any way.

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser

No, they don't. So when there are several pages on the forum, the newest reply is found on the last page, which is not so easy for everyone to find..

DeletedUser

Alpha Guilds' forum works fine so far, we did not encounter your problem.

P.S. Maybe it's because you label some posts as "Important", those will always be on top regardless of time age. "Important" posts only compete with other "important" posts when it comes to staying on TOP of the list, posts that are not labeled as "important" compete with posts of their kind but can never go higher than an "important" post (even if it's old)

DeletedUser

Ah, sorry must have explained it a bit difficult. I am talking about INSIDE a thread, not the threads themselves.
Our guild has a trades post, and it would make more sense if it looked something like this:

Edit: Thus, the newest reply is always the one just underneath the OP.

DeletedUser7719

ohhhhhh... yea, then +1 for me
btw, why doesn't the guild forum work like this forum anyways?

DeletedUser

I think that is mainly due to space constraints within the game, since it mainly pops up over the game. I like the simplicity of the guild forum, but it could do with a bit of upgrading (Previous/Next page at the bottom, sorting options, more options for admins etc.). But i guess that is another idea, and for now i am only concerned with a simple little sorting function :)

DeletedUser

Ah, sorry must have explained it a bit difficult. I am talking about INSIDE a thread, not the threads themselves.
Our guild has a trades post, and it would make more sense if it looked something like this:

Edit: Thus, the newest reply is always the one just underneath the OP.

Response:

In that case it will be very hard to follow the logic behind forum posts when attributing them to the "main post" idea.
Imagine i start a discussion and you open it after 3 days for the first time. All you will see is probably replies that have drifted long ago from the topic.

Just my opinion.

DeletedUser

Response:

In that case it will be very hard to follow the logic behind forum posts when attributing them to the "main post" idea.
Imagine i start a discussion and you open it after 3 days for the first time. All you will see is probably replies that have drifted long ago from the topic.

Just my opinion.

Which is why i suggested that this is an optional feature for admins to put on SPECIFIC threads, not all of them.
For example a trades thread (or any other of the same), guild members would benefit more from seeing the OP + last reply than the OP + a lot of replies and then having to go to the last page to see what happened recently.

There are certainly some threads that you would not need to go through it all, in order to know what happened several days or weeks ago (in this case, a trades thread)

DeletedUser4089

I've never heard of anyone having this problem. The guild forum sorts it's post the same way almost every other forum I can think of does. Start at the start, go through the pages to the end.

Also, if you have pages and pages of old trade posts, then you should get some forum moderators to delete the old, no-longer-relevant posts.

DeletedUser

Its not really a problem, more of an inconvenience than anything else. As for forums, most I have come across, usually have the option to sort posts either ascending or descending, which is basically what i am proposing (except the feature where the OP stays on top).

We also use moderators to delete old posts, to try to keep it to one page. But there are some days where there are a lot of replies, and those days it is more useful to see the last reply first.

The simplified version of my idea is to introduce two buttons (ASC | DESC) where each player define their preferred sorting method, rather than admins doing it for them. Introducing such a function is in my experience somewhere between 5 and 10 lines of code, but would improve the forum a lot for those not using it too often :)