• Dear forum reader,
    To actively participate in our forum discussions or to start your own threads, in addition to your game account, you need a forum account. You can
    REGISTER HERE!
    Please ensure a translation into English is provided if your post is not in English and to respect your fellow players when posting.
  • We are looking for you!
    Always wanted to join our Support or Forum Team? We are looking for enthusiastic moderators!
    Take a look at our recruitment page for more information and how you can apply:
    Apply
  • Forum Contests

Won't you join us for out latest contest?
    You can check out the newest one here.

Discussion thread - Progressive Era balancing changes

DeletedUser6539

Default Change to Progressive Era tech tree balancing

Dear Kings and Queens,

Shortly we will be updating all worlds with game balancing adjustments to the Progressive Era tech tree. Only the final few technologies at the end of the tech tree will be affected, the costs of which will receive some adjustments.

This change will bring a little more challenge towards the end of the tech tree, and provide a better closure for the technologies of the age.
If you would like to discuss the change, please do so in the discussion thread.

Thank you for playing Forge of Empires!

Sincerely,

The Forge of Empires team.

Here Wilberham:D

P.S: the update was made yesterday 25.07.2013.

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser6603

Here Wilberham:D

P.S: the update was made yesterday 25.07.2013.

Thanks for your time TRM, I am aware of the statement made. What our community deserves, is an official explanation as to why these "game balancing adjustments" were needed. Along with the stats of the original Progressive Era Tech Tree. This will help us determine what advantage/disadvantage those who completed the tech tree early, and those of us who have yet to do so.

DeletedUser

Actually I think their announcement already said why the changes were made. "challenging" is the keyword.

You don't have to agree with it.

But I agree with you, they should have / could have handled it better, I think a headsup notification instead of a sudden in-your-face patch would have been much better appreciated.

DeletedUser3157

But I agree with you, they should have / could have handled it better, I think a headsup notification instead of a sudden in-your-face patch would have been much better appreciated.

In all fairness, all it would have caused would have made power players hurry up through the tree as far as they can before the cost rises hit the shop :P

What they really should have done is balance it just 1 day earlyer, you know, before PE gets released everywhere. Right now it was just slightly frustrating, but only for very few players, mostly non-diamond power-players who had the resources for walking though the tree fast, but didn't get it done quick enough. I mean I got burned by just couple of MINUTES. Damn I was angry lol :P

DeletedUser12086

Thanks for your responses. Unfortunately, the need for the change was noticed very late and in order to ensure it affected as few players as possible in the International version, and to ensure it was in time to be rolled out on other game versions, it was necessary to make the changes under very short notice.

In an ideal world these changes would have been made before the initial EN release. However, I'm afraid that as you have seen, they were not. I realize that this can be frustrating, however please understand that it was needed to be done immediately in order to affect as few players as possible. I do apologise for the short notice, and any inconvenience.

DeletedUser

Dear Countess, just a suggestion. You can show your sincerity by giving all affected accounts some diamonds.

DeletedUser1081

Dear Countess, just a suggestion. You can show your sincerity by giving all affected accounts some diamonds.

You could also provide an exact list of the resources now needed to complete the technology tree. Not "minus this much, plus that much" as the poster did on page 1 (thank you!) but a specific list of what is now needed. Players who spent time working that out for our guilds shouldn't need to have to do it again just because "the need for the change was noticed very late".

Thanks.

DeletedUser7223

For Mink .

Tier 1, Row 1: Traffic Lanes - 75 FPs , 20,000 Coin , 225,000 Supplies , 180 Basalt , 100 Tar .

Tier 2, Row 1: Mass Manufacturing - 55 FPs , 75,000 Supplies , 130 Brass , 60 Wire .
Tier 2, Row 2: Modern Explosives - 55 FPS , 75,000 Supplies , 160 Gunpowder , 75 Fertilizer .
Tier 2, Row 3: Oil Refining - 55 FPs , 50,000 Coin , 25,000 Supplies , 110 Porcelain , 100 Rubber .
Tier 2, Row 4: Modern Materials - 85 FPs , 75,000 Coin , 75,000 Supplies , 90 Talc , 50 Coke .

Tier 3, Row 1: Electricity - 90 FPs , 100,000 Coin , 80 Wire , 80 Brass .
Tier 3, Row 2: Percussion Fuzes - 48 FPs , 90,000 Supplies , 60 Explosives , 20 Machine Parts .
Tier 3, Row 3: Automobiles - 74 FPs , 80,000 Supplies , 60 Machine Parts , 50 Gasoline .
Tier 3, Row 4: Urbanization - 35 FPs , 90,000 Supplies , 90 Coffee , 140 Whale Oil .
Tier 3, Row 5: Tenement Houses - 51 FPs , 120,000 Supplies , 115 Talc , 80 Whale Oil .

Tier 4, Row 1: Power Distribution - 43 FPs , 100,000 Supplies , 110 Wire , 130 Coke .
Tier 4, Row 2: Council Houses - 65 Fps , 40,000 Coin , 80,000 Supplies , 115 Talc ,80 Porcelain .
Tier 4, Row 3: Armor Plating - 53 FPs , 80,000 Supplies , 150 Tinplate , 40 Gasoline .
Tier 4, Row 4: Journalism - 68 FPs , 220 Paper , 130 Silk .
Tier 4, Row 5: Ranching - 47 FPs , 50,000 Coin , 75,000 Supplies , 200 Fert , 80 Gasoline .

Tier 5, Row 1: Public Transport - 73 FPs , 180,000 Coin , 90,000 Supplies , 220 Tar , 140 Machine Parts .
Tier 5, Row 2: Tracked Vehicles - 88 FPs , 80,000 Supplies , 110 Machine Parts , 60 Explosives .
Tier 5, Row 3: Mass Mobilization - 88 FPs , 150,000 Coin , 100,000 Supplies , 230 Textiles , 230 Coffee .

Tier 6, Row 1: High-Rises 98 FPs , 11,111 Coin , 111,111 Supplies , 180 Asbestos , 90 Tinplate .
Tier 6, Row 2: Scoped Rifles 53 FPs , 25,000 Supplies , 180 Explosives , 160 Rubber .
Tier 6, Row 3: Antibiotics 79 FPs , 180,000 Supplies , 190 Porcelain , 110 Tin Plate .

Tier 7, Row 1: Recreation 52 FPs , 250,000 Supplies , 150 Asbestos , 130 Gasoline .

Goods Requirements:

L.M.A. - Basalt 180 , Brass 210 , Gunpowder 160 , Talc 320 , Silk 130 .

C.A. - Tar 320 , Wire 250 , Porcelain 380 , Coffee 320 , Paper 220 .

Ind.A. - Fertilizer 275 , Rubber 260 , Coke 180 , Whale Oil 140 , Textiles 230 .

P.Era . - Explosives 300 , Machine Parts 330 , Gasoline 300 , Tinplate 350 , Asbestos 330 .

Resource Requirements

601,111 Coin
2,026,111 Supplies

DeletedUser

Guys, I understand why everyone is upset about this, but take a step back, a deep breath, and realize it's really not that big of deal. Even if they had of let us know prior to, or even changed it before the release, the fact is, it still requires what it requires, and you would have still have to acquire that amount of goods. In other words...if something was changed to require 150 explosives, you'll have to acquire 150 explosives, and will/would still have to do that whether they told us earlier or not.

We're all in the same boat now. Anyone that didn't finish the research before the change is having to pay the same amount, so none of us are at an advantage/disadvantage. The diamond buyers really didn't have any advantage over the non diamond buyers. Even if the changes had of been applied before the release, the diamond buyers would have just bought extra diamonds and still finished it all instantly. The only difference it makes is that it's going to take us all that didn't complete the research prior to the changes slightly longer. Is that really such a bad thing? Honestly, it just keeps us entertained longer. Gives us more play time. Holds us over long enough until the next new big feature is added. I'm just fine with it. It keeps us from getting bored with things so quick. Don't know if you all have, but I know that I have noticed several players become inactive before the PE released, because they were bored with doing the same thing day after day....and a large majority of those players were diamond buyers. I'm not hating on diamond buyers by any stretch. I buy diamonds (only enough to buy a few premium buildings each age). Diamonds buyers pay the dev's salary and make this game possible. I'm just making the point that when you fly through the game, you quickly run out of gameplay. I for one am happy any time the game life is extended. Just food for thought!

DeletedUser

Yeah it would have been nice for advance notice, but it doesn't bother me too much. The IndA and PE (intitally) required so few of their own age's goods, that those goods seemed kind of worthless in my opinion. At least this extends the gameplay a little. There can't have been too many people who just bought all of the goods with diamonds to finish tech tree immediately, and the ones that spend like that are either going to get bored quickly or probably weren't going to be caught up to anyways.

DeletedUser1081

Thanks very much, PBA Joyce - that's what I came up with too (except in your summing up of the Ind Age goods needed, you missed out 80 whales needed for the Tenement Houses - the total whales needed = 220).

Now that players have spent considerable time and effort compiling the list of good needed twice, could the game developers please let us know whether the current state of the tech tree is really the way they want it? (It doesn't look particularly "balanced", but I guess game devs use some esoteric meaning of that word. :cool:)

And if it does change again, could you please bear in mind that providing a specific list of what the changes are (like the one PBA Joyce provided above, or mine below) would save the players a lot of aggravation? Vague phrases like "more challenging" don't help us plan our goods production and trading.

Thanks

Basalt: 180 (70 less than before)
Talc: 90+115+115 = 320
Brass: 130+80 = 210 (80 less than before)
Silk: 130 (130 less than before)
Gunpowder: 160 (90 less than before)

Tar: 100+220 = 320 (100 more than before)
Wire: 60+80+110 = 250
Porcelain: 110+80+190 = 380 (100 more than before)
Coffee: 90+230 = 320
Paper: 220

Rubber: 100+160 = 260 (100 more than before)
Coke: 50+130 = 180
Whales: 140+80 = 220
Fertilizer: 75+200 = 275
Textiles: 230

Explosives: 60+60+180 = 300 (180 more than before)
Machine Parts: 20+60+140+110 = 330 (140 more than before)
Gasoline: 50+40+80+130 = 300 (130 more than before)
Tinplate: 150+90+110 = 350 (200 more than before)
Asbestos: 180+150 = 330 (150 more than before)

DeletedUser3157

What are u on about? What doesn't look balanced? The fact that it doesn't take exactly identical amount of goods total from everywhere? OMG it takes takes 380 porcelain, but only 220 paper, what a disaster..There was maybe only a handful of diamond players total who benafitted from this late chage, they saved about 3-4k diamonds cause some PE goods were added, type of players for who that is just peanuts. For everyone else, it is same for them all, just need tad more PE goods and very minor moving around in regards to smaller age stuff. You can check in post #18, I nailed everything that changed. And that's prolly because I'm one of the very few players who it actually effected and for who it could have gone both ways. Yeah I was rather annoyed for a bit, but then I calmed down and lived with the extra 3 days it took me to complete the research tree(only diamonds I used were ingame earned diamonds for scouting).

DeletedUser7719

Thanks very much, PBA Joyce - that's what I came up with too (except in your summing up of the Ind Age goods needed, you missed out 80 whales needed for the Tenement Houses - the total whales needed = 220)
I think she knew that ohcrapitsalex ;)
What are u on about? What doesn't look balanced? The fact that it doesn't take exactly identical amount of goods total from everywhere?

I think she's talking about the totals for each good across the entire tech tree. It has been around the same ballpark all this time. The total numbers for the LMA goods were around 660 for each. Now each good is different...

DeletedUser

That is some great work Mink! I wish I had just looked at that instead of redoing it all myself haha.

Yeah as far as balance goes, some of the goods requirements have a much larger difference than they have in the past. For instance, the requirements for talc still seems strangely higher than the rest of the LMA goods. It doesn't really bother me though, but that is probably b/c i had tons of talc already.

DeletedUser1081

What are u on about? blah blah blah :cool:

Calm yourself, hint. I'm merely asking those in the know to confirm whether they're sure the Prog Era goods requirements are now going to stay this way.

I wish I had just looked at that instead of redoing it all myself haha.

That's just how I felt when I saw PBA Joyce's fine work. And thanks, byeordie and leeroyj, for seeing what I mean about the balance. If perceived balance is what drives devs to fidget with these things, I hope they'll sweetly redo these tables for us instead of leaving it up to us. :cool: