• Dear forum reader,
    To actively participate in our forum discussions or to start your own threads, in addition to your game account, you need a forum account. You can
    REGISTER HERE!
    Please ensure a translation into English is provided if your post is not in English and to respect your fellow players when posting.
  • We are looking for you!
    Always wanted to join our Support or Forum Team? We are looking for enthusiastic moderators!
    Take a look at our recruitment page for more information and how you can apply:
    Apply
  • Forum Contests

Won't you join us for out latest contest?
    You can check out the newest one here.

Constructive Criticism

Status
Not open for further replies.

DeletedUser

Obviously I know that this game is still in Beta, so I thought I would offer the developers by observations in the hope that changes can be made to make things better. This is my opinion.
Interface
Looks good but infuriating that every time I login I have to zoom out and reposition the screen, which in turn is cumbersome owing to the lack of scroll bars. The default setup needs work to make it more customisable by the player. For example the annoying window at the bottom which lets you see players near you in the rankings. In summary:-
• More zoom levels needed.
• Scroll bars needed.
• Option to save your screen settings.
Research
Some unlock costs are too high. Thousands of tools, really? Marble, Timber, Dye, etc., wtf? I have been asked for 36 marble to unlock Archers, and because I have no marble deposits my mason makes 4 every day! Yes there is a trading system but I’ll comment on that in a minute. Also I don’t like it that I have no idea of the unlock costs for anything until it becomes active. This is a real pain when you pick a particular path only to find out that you need dozens of a resource you don’t have or produce. In summary:-
• Look at unlock costs
• Unlock costs should be able to be viewed at any time.
Expansion
Whilst I like the idea that all buildings need to be connected to the town hall to be productive, I dislike the expansion idea. You first have to spend time and resources researching each one, then pay increasingly high unlock costs, then pay increasingly higher gold to actually put it in place. And then its only 4x4 squares! How annoying? Sure keep the idea, but perhaps make the unlock costs less and the expansion area larger perhaps. The fun element of moving and reconfiguring your town/city will still be there owing to the ongoing need to replace buildings. In summary:-
• Bigger expansion areas
• Lower unlock costs
Battles
A good concept with several bugs. I find that if I move a unit onto the same square as another one the battle will crash and be reset with less units but with no gain to be had. The automatic feature is poor. The system carries out strange moves like moving your melee units forward to be fired upon by ranged units when your ranged units should be used to attack instead. Maximum of 8 units?!?!?
• Reduce or remove bugs
• Can be slow
Trading
Having to use forge points is a mistake. It means many players just don’t bother and undermines the whole concept. When you consider that you cannot do without trading due to the silly unlock costs for some research, I believe that this needs to change. Many players offer goods at silly ratios and 1:10 is very common. I know that this is not really a developer issue, but if the trading system was made better with no need for forge points more players would trade making the system much fairer. Also I do not receive any notification that my created offer has been accepted. I check the town hall and bam my supplies have changed.
• Remove the need to use Forge points
• Improve notifications
Diamonds
I have no problem paying a fair amount for premium features if they are worth the money. I was a premium player on tribalwars for several years. The difference between the 2 games is that diamonds are used for virtually every aspect of FoE. With diamonds you can speed things up, buy things, complete things, expand quicker etc and I agree with those. However as I have mentioned elsewhere on this forum the use of diamonds to open up your fifth unit slot is unfair. It means that premium players will be stronger than normal players and I believe that to be unfair. In addition there is a host of better buildings that you can only build with diamonds.
• Reduce benefits of diamonds
General
Other things I would like the developers to consider changing would be introducing a help guide which includes attack/defence values etc for military units, all buildings with unlock costs, footprint etc and how on earth the Happiness system works?! Creating units takes forever and yet losing them takes minutes. 4 hours to train a soldier?! Too long.
In summary this is a really good looking game with some novel concepts but which needs some work to make it fair to all and easier to understand and play.

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser

....... Many players offer goods at silly ratios and 1:10 is very common. .........
Those 1:10 offers are usually not from the players, they're the PC merchants asking horrendous prices. Tick those two boxes in the upper right part of the trading window to see only offers from humans.

DeletedUser

I totally agree for the interface part.

The unlock cost can be seen, always have been since I play
2012-05-02 19-37-41.jpg

Trading should get better if they open it up to more than our neighbors only. As for the FP cost, it's not that bad, if you do 1 trade per day, it is 4% of your forge points, it could be worst, they could charge 10% of the goods traded!!!!

Stop talking about TW please, you guys are all driving me mad...

DeletedUser1074

I would like a diamond preceading the name of those who are buying diamonds, as they are not playing the same game as those who are not.

DeletedUser899

I agree with Ice and wish to add to it as well.

The game is not made for a daily or constant player. It is being developed for the occasional players. The deeper you get into the ages, the harder and longer the wait for items to build and reproduce. Troops lost in an instant take forever to rebuild. I am a war player but to only be able to go at 1 province every 4-8 hours or only hit the inactive players once every 24 hours in not considered a war game. Giving loot for taking a province at such a low return compared to troop loss is not counterproductive. Trading among individuals that have the same bonus goods defeats the trade policyImprovements in mho:

1: Shorten build times for individual buildings.
2: Give a reasonable reproduction rate and time so you don't need to wait hours or days for item to reproduce
3: Set better Troop strength and definitely shorten the time needed to rebuild troops.
4: Loot and supplies are not what is needed for taking a province. The bonus to the Goods buildings so a player can move on into the game.

DeletedUser1508

I would also like to point out the feature of spoilage of an item produce is a crazy one. Why would you want this if it is not to be a game where you have to baby sit it for hours at a time. We should be able to produce stuff and come back later knowing it will be there if we can't get back in the production time it will take.

DeletedUser

spoilage could mean lesser quantity of goods rather than entire loss. if i come back too late i would receive 50% less goods . total spoilage sucks.

DeletedUser

personally i dont think that diamonds are all that beneficial (unless you spend a ton of money)..

I bought 300 for $7 and have mostly spent them on negotiations/resources needed for skill tree progression.

they've allowed me to not get stuck anywhere, but I don't think you could call it an unfair advantage..

Edit: I would never spend money unlocking a 5th slot, because eventually you are going to replace that building

DeletedUser

Edit: I would never spend money unlocking a 5th slot, because eventually you are going to replace that building
Except for archers, I did it to have spare archers when I lose 1 or 2 in a fight (to conquer a province) so I can still be at full strength. Archers will be your best units for the next 3 months!!

DeletedUser

Except for archers, I did it to have spare archers when I lose 1 or 2 in a fight (to conquer a province) so I can still be at full strength. Archers will be your best units for the next 3 months!!

fair enough, archers are awesome. dont think its gonna take me 3 months to get to crossbows/trebuchets tho :p

DeletedUser

Yeah, sorry, I used my idea, to skip to longbow archers. I'm not sure the shorter range of crossbows will do for me. Trebuchet might help quite a bit though.

DeletedUser

Archers will have problems once you encounter LMA protected sectors with many horses and / or cannons - crossbows will help you there. On a good day, they destroy a cannon with one arrow. The archer always needs two no matter how high the rock is he's standing on.

DeletedUser

I feel the criticisms are valid, and I would add that there needs to be more interlacing of resource requirements. Players with limestone want iron ebony and jewels, so how does a lower tech guy with dye get limestone? Oh yes the NPC 1:10 sale that stalls the game for months, or delete a resource production building to build a limestone building IF you have the resources to unlock the research that lets you get the building. The game has ground to a halt, for two weeks I can't get new territory because I can't build strong enough units to take them and I don't have or can't trade for the right resources to negotiate for them.

If the design is for a slow paced game that you can check in once a day to collect resources and build something every 2-4 weeks, with forge points going to waste every day well I suppose you have it but it has become terminally boring, almost as bad as Lagoonia.

If the player list is to be believed, then there are only 80 players registered for this world. That is fatal, it pays for nothing and the game goes no where as there is not enough people to put offers on the market or to interface with. I came to this from Tribal Wars where I have paid for premium like the author of this thread, but they have up to 13,000 on a world, it makes it much more enjoyable.

Would I recommend Tribal Wars definitely, would I recommend Forge of Empires, sorry no. Perhaps if you are paying the game experience is better, but I don't want to pay and then find out it is just as bad.

Status
Not open for further replies.