• Dear forum reader,
    To actively participate in our forum discussions or to start your own threads, in addition to your game account, you need a forum account. You can
    REGISTER HERE!
    Please ensure a translation into English is provided if your post is not in English and to respect your fellow players when posting.
  • We are looking for you!
    Always wanted to join our Support or Forum Team? We are looking for enthusiastic moderators!
    Take a look at our recruitment page for more information and how you can apply:
    Apply
  • Forum Contests

Won't you join us for out latest contest?
    You can check out the newest one here.

Not a Bug: constant flash crashes

DeletedUser

So I am totally abusing my flash now and its totally not crashing. As there were no updates to my flash player, it has me wondering about this thread.

DeletedUser6385

I play on 2 worlds (A & B) and I am with the original poster - this game crashes I would say just about every 5 mins. for me when I'm actively playing (attacks, P/Ms, etc.). I noticed that those original posts were from July of last year; here I am in Mar '13 and yes, this sh*t still stinks. I love this game, but I am really getting fed up with these crashes. I use Chrome on Win7 and have the latest flash. I've tried FireFox with no improvement. Can someone please suggest anything other than the 2 flash player conflict in Chrome (tried it, didn't do jack)?

DeletedUser6385

I think one of the posts said the developers are having a hard time reproducing these crashes. For me anyway, it's pretty simple. Open the task manager and watch the memory usage; open Chrome and log into a world (I do two at a time, so perhaps you can try that) and watch the memory usage go up as you open neighbors / guildies cities and/or when you open attack maps. It consistently crashes when the memory usage hits ~1.5G mark. It has never not crashed before it hit 1.7G of memory usage, so not sure why this is so hard to reproduce.

This is beyond an annoyance - for me, this is a show-stopper and it's a shame since I actually like playing this game.

DeletedUser15290

"The Developers", let me do this one more time, "The Developers" aren't using an ordinary computer to check things. They use a professional computer. You can get 12 CPU's and 24gig's of ram on one computer. It's basically impossible to get an error with computers like this.

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser12400

The Solution

To overcome flash crashes, you must use 64bit OS, 64bit BROWSER, 64bit FLASH!
Try using Waterfox: (There is 64bit version of Firefox, ported and compiled by third party).
Adobe Flash Player: (check Waterfox for the correct plug-in).

DeletedUser

This is a very old thread and there have been many updates since it was started. My experience is that the issues that previously caused my flash crashes are no longer problems. If there are new issues then there should be a new thread. I would close this one if I had the authority . . (Hint to mods)

DeletedUser16000

I second the complaints that there is a game design issue at fault here. I have tested all the supposed fixes and nothing works. But I think I have found the precise culprit and triggering event for the Adobe Flash crashes. First, here is my computer configuration and how I play:
1) Windows 7 Pro with SP1, updated 2 days ago
2) Intel i7-2600 CPU at 3.6GHz, not accelerated
3) 16 GB RAM
4) 64 bit OS
5) Adobe Shockwave Flash player versions: a) Windows internal: 11.8.800.94, b) Chrome Pepper: 11.8.800.97
6) Browser: Google Chrome latest version as of today: 28.0.1500.72m

Here is how I play:
1) I have three Cities on three different country servers: UK, US and Poland
2) I prefer to run all three on a single instance of Google but in different tabs.
3) but to try to analyze this instability problem, I have tried to run the city where I am going to do a lot of PvP fights or P/M circuits in a separate instance of Chrome
4) I have tried running Flash on a) both the internal Chrome (Pepper) version and Windows internal version, b) disable just the Chrome Pepper version, c) disable just the Window internal version.

Here is what happens, as for the other complaints:
1) I have about 80 neighbors and try to fight each of them every night in the PvP tournaments
2) I have about 100 friends on one of the servers in addition to 80 Guild members
3) I can run about 3-5 PvP fights, or 3-5 P/M actions before Flash crashes and I have to reboot all three servers.
4) Sometimes I get a black screen when I try to go to the player's City and have to go to the other instances of Chrome to refresh them to provoke the actual crash.

And as a very advanced computer user, here is what I have found is causing the actual crash:
1) when I get any type of notification in any City such as a) coin or supplies to collect, b) notice that someone has polished or motivated one of my buildings, c) notice that I have been attacked or plundered.
2) That triggers the other servers to lock up or crash, even if I have them in separate instances of Chrome.
3) On an older computer with Pentium 4 dual CPU, Windows XP Pro, 3.2 GHz and only 4 GB of RAM, a single instance of Forge runs all 100% of the memory and can not go to goods and trades or to the inventory after a few activities.
4) It seems that Chrome uses increasing amounts of the CPU after each P/M or PvP fight and even after going to the Map or to Trade a few times.
5) This has only occurred after recent Forge updates that display the smoke from buildings in my City (which I can not turn off, only in other player's cities).

This is incredibly frustrating and enough to make me want to quit your otherwise very enjoyable and well designed game.

I am sure that the problem is a game design flaw and not a hardware or browser issue. According to Customer Support you are supposed to be optimized for Chrome and Mozilla.

I have not tested IE or Mozilla and should not have to. PC Magazine rates Chrome as the best browser out there.

Very Respectfully,
slhead

DeletedUser

2) I prefer to run all three on a single instance of Google but in different tabs.

I am very surprised that you are only now noticing flash crashes. I can't run three cities on the same server without crashes, never have been able to. I was told if it crashes when you do that then don't do that. I suspect that the vast majority of players would have crashes doing this.

I run one city at a time. I clear my browser before loading another city. I turn off animations. My crashes are much less frequent. It is a work around but it is better for me to enjoy the game than get frustrated about flash crashes.

Note that I do not say flash crashes are not the problem, just that player's enjoyment can be increased by using work-arounds.

DeletedUser16000

I second the complaints that there is a game design issue at fault here. I have tested all the supposed fixes and nothing works. But I think I have found the precise culprit and triggering event for the Adobe Flash crashes. First, here is my computer configuration and how I play:
3) 16 GB RAM
4) 64 bit OS
5) Adobe Shockwave Flash player versions: a) Windows internal: 11.8.800.94, b) Chrome Pepper: 11.8.800.97
6) Browser: Google Chrome latest version as of today: 28.0.1500.72m

Here is how I play:
3) but to try to analyze this instability problem, I have tried to run the city where I am going to do a lot of PvP fights or P/M circuits in a separate instance of Chrome
4) I have tried running Flash on a) both the internal Chrome (Pepper) version and Windows internal version, b) disable just the Chrome Pepper version, c) disable just the Window internal version.

Here is what happens, as for the other complaints:
1) I have about 80 neighbors and try to fight each of them every night in the PvP tournaments
2) I have about 100 friends on one of the servers in addition to 80 Guild members
3) I can run about 3-5 PvP fights, or 3-5 P/M actions before Flash crashes and I have to reboot all three servers.
4) Sometimes I get a black screen when I try to go to the player's City and have to go to the other instances of Chrome to refresh them to provoke the actual crash.

And as a very advanced computer user, here is what I have found is causing the actual crash:
1) when I get any type of notification in any City such as a) coin or supplies to collect, b) notice that someone has polished or motivated one of my buildings, c) notice that I have been attacked or plundered.
2) That triggers the other servers to lock up or crash, even if I have them in separate instances of Chrome.
3) On an older computer with Pentium 4 dual CPU, Windows XP Pro, 3.2 GHz and only 4 GB of RAM, a single instance of Forge runs all 100% of the memory and can not go to goods and trades or to the inventory after a few activities.
4) It seems that Chrome uses increasing amounts of the CPU after each P/M or PvP fight and even after going to the Map or to Trade a few times.
5) This has only occurred after recent Forge updates that display the smoke from buildings in my City (which I can not turn off, only in other player's cities).

This is incredibly frustrating and enough to make me want to quit your otherwise very enjoyable and well designed game.

I am sure that the problem is a game design flaw and not a hardware or browser issue. According to Customer Support you are supposed to be optimized for Chrome and Mozilla.

I have not tested IE or Mozilla and should not have to. PC Magazine rates Chrome as the best browser out there.

Very Respectfully,
slhead

DeletedUser

... here is what I have found is causing the actual crash:

Hooray someone else has noticed this and I thought I was going crazy :rolleyes:
Those popup thingummyjigs cause a flash crash every time for me too.

DeletedUser16000

So today I broke down and tested Mozilla Firefox.

I put two of my Cities on the three servers (UK, US, PO) on two tabs of Firefox and left the third on Chrome.

After a moderate day of activity (abut half the usual 80 PvP fights & 80+ P/M on each City), here is what I got:
1) Firefox NEVER crashed even with 2 Tabs open on two different Cities on two servers
2) Chrome crashed one time with Flash in the half day I tried the experiment.

So I tentatively conclude that the problem is with the game design hogging increasing memory in Chrome with Flash.

But Firefox is demonstrably slower in doing everything than Chrome, so the Forge developers need to redesign to let Chrome work.

It is not acceptable that I can not run my three Cities on three different servers in Chrome, the fastest and n three different tabs.

I run another high intensity game with 4-5 tabs running the same game at the same time with a diferent game and have done so for 2-3 years: Wargame42 and Desert Ops

V/R
slhead

DeletedUser16000

Based on earlier comments that Forge was "optimized for Chrome and Firefox" and some comments in the Bug Fixes section of the Forum, I found a work around to the Flash crash problem that was happening every 4-5 PvP fights or P/M visits. Please pass these results of my testing to your developers to help them make newer versions more stable.

Also I again request that you put me in touch with Tech support rather than Customer Service.

1) I installed Firefox. It takes about 1/6 of the memory of Chrome, but is demonstrably slower in refreshing pages.
2) I confirmed that the design problem with Forge occurs when pop up messages come up while you are doing a series of PvP fights or when doing P/M and are not in your main City view page. There is some kind of CONFLICT in the Forge design when using Chrome with multiple cities from different servers running in separate instances of Chrome (as well as in multiple tabs - BOTH!).
3) I confirmed that the CPU usage does NOT increase as you do multiple P/M visits or multiple PvP fights. I did this by using the Resource Monitor from Task manager in Windows 7 on my 64 bit OS.
4) So the problem is caused by the Pop Up messages.
5) I have given you my computer capabilities, but let me reiterate that my memory is not stressed. I never have exceeded 47% of available memory out of my 16GB of RAM with 12 cores in the Intel i7 2600 CPU chip.
5) Then I opened multiple tabs in Firefox for multiple cities on different servers. I ran a single city from a different server in Chrome at the same time.
6) I did all my normal ~80 PvP fights and ran P/M on all Guild members and friends (more than 80 per city) in all three of the Cities. I got a black screen maybe 2-3 times after a PvP fight rather than going to the opponent's city but NO shockwave Flash crashes. Of course during all those hours, there were literally hundreds of pop up messages that occurred in one city or another, including in Chrome.

In summary, the Forge design problem has to do with two things: 1) the Pop up messages occurring while you are in a PvP fight or another player's city doing a P/M or plunder, AND2) you must have at least two cities from different servers open EITHER in Chrome tabs or multiple instances of Chrome.

Please have your developers make this a priority fix! There are hundreds of complaints about this Bug in the bug fixes section of the Forum. Many players, like me are so frustrated they are ready to quit.

Very respectfully,
slhead

DeletedUser

Are you using the regular Firefox or Waterfox? Firefox shouldn't be able to use 47% of your 16GB ram. Or I could just misunderstand that part and the total memory usage of all applications never exceeds that 47%.
Anyway, you can read my explanation on this:
Well, the flash 'crash' is not caused by cpu, by by your ram (memory). Chrome (as an example) can only use 4 gb of ram, no matter how much ram you have. If you have 4gb or less, it will never be able to reach this 4 gb, because other processes also use some memory, if you have more, it can get close to the 4gb.
Anyway, while you are playing, the memory usage increases with most actions, you can see the memory used by the flash process go up, but it never comes down again. This will happen up to a certain point, that point is when flash nears the memory limit, if it stores any more, Chrome will crash. To avoid this, it shuts itself down (it does not crash, it protects your pc from crashing). If you run a lot of applications or are logged in to a couple of FoE worlds, this point will be reached sooner.
The black screen is flash deleting some files (the background images) to avoid the crash, so a black screen normally indicates that flash is about to stop.

This is also the reason why 64-bit browsers (Waterfox) tend to not crash at all when you have enough ram, because the limit is never reached. Most browsers are 32-bit though, so they are stuck with the 4gb ram limit.
You can view the memory flash uses by pressing shift+esc in Chrome.

Also, there shouldn't be any differences between having multiple worlds in tabs or new windows in Chrome, as I believe every tab is treated as a separate process, and the issue is not Chrome itself, but Flash, and chrome will only use 1 instance of flash, no matter how many tabs or windows you use.

-I'm not an FoE dev btw, just my two cents.

DeletedUser

Also I again request that you put me in touch with Tech support rather than Customer Service.

Unfortunately, we do not have such a thing :( You'll have to make do with our Support staff and the suggestions done by other players on the forums - but please understand that the developers do read here!

DeletedUser

3) 16 GB RAM
4) 64 bit OS
etc etc...
Adobe said that this crash (GSOD) is HARDWARE... what are you using for a video card? Most likely it is being hammered by the needs of the game... and adobe dumps.

DeletedUser4089

3) 16 GB RAM
4) 64 bit OS
etc etc...
Adobe said that this crash (GSOD) is HARDWARE... what are you using for a video card? Most likely it is being hammered by the needs of the game... and adobe dumps.

On top of that, have you tried disabling pepper? (You can do so by going to "chrome://plugins")

DeletedUser12874

Use 64bit browser and 64bit flash and no problems.

I would recommend Cyberfox, it's 64bit version Firefox.
Before that I used Waterfox but it's updated too slowly. But it works too.

I have wrote it before many times: If memory usage gets close to 2GB, 32bit flash WILL CRASH. It will always crash. No such problem with 64bit. But you need to use full 64bit environment: 64bit CPU, 64bit OS, 64bit browser and 64bit flash.
If you do not have 64bit CPU - no solution for you.
If you have 32bit OS, you need to install 64bit OS.
If you have 32bit browser and flash: download 64bit versions (note: 64bit IE will not work - it's crippled and not full featured browser).

About Linux:
64bit Chrome for Linux is problematic too. It works but it will crash too, if memory usage gets close to 2GB. 1 world open is ok. 2 is pushing it, 3 or more means almost instant crash.
Latest flash plugin for linux is 11.2 and it will not work with FoE. FoE needs 11.8. So Chrome is only option under Linux, as it has newer flash built in.
No new flash versions coming to Linux... so if you are using Linux, you are left alone with your problem.