• Dear forum reader,
    To actively participate in our forum discussions or to start your own threads, in addition to your game account, you need a forum account. You can
    REGISTER HERE!
    Please ensure a translation into English is provided if your post is not in English and to respect your fellow players when posting.
  • We are looking for you!
    Always wanted to join our Support or Forum Team? We are looking for enthusiastic moderators!
    Take a look at our recruitment page for more information and how you can apply:
    Apply
  • Forum Contests

Won't you join us for out latest contest?
    You can check out the newest one here.

Investigating: Chrome 104 "Something went wrong" error

deeplays

Private
Keep getting the "Something went wrong" after selecting the World and trying to enter. It WILL run if I turn OFF Hardware Acceleration, not the other way around. However, running without Hardware Acceleration is painfully slow and unplayable.

Please advise.
Windows 7 Google Chrome Version 104.0.5112.82 (Official Build) (64-bit)

Welcome to the "Messed up profile club" It happened with one of the last forge updates.
Most existing profiles will have this problem.
----------------------------------------------------------------

For me, to work around the problem - This is the Desktop Version:

Create a brand new Windows User account - you must do this as an admin.
→ open control panel, select add or remove user accounts.
→ select create a new user account - type in a name for the new account.
→ set as standard user - no need for the admin setting - and it's a bit more secure.
→ click create account.
→ log off from the current account
Login into that new account you just created.
Open Chrome and Log into your game account.

JustKowhai

Private
Keep getting the "Something went wrong" after selecting the World and trying to enter. It WILL run if I turn OFF Hardware Acceleration, not the other way around. However, running without Hardware Acceleration is painfully slow and unplayable.

Please advise.
Windows 7 Google Chrome Version 104.0.5112.82 (Official Build) (64-bit)
Chrome browser would not work for me either. I tried Firefox and can access all my cities. There is a conversation under the latest 'Update' thread to read more. I was very frustrated for a while :(

deeplays

Private
Welcome to the "Messed up profile club" It happened with one of the last forge updates.
Most existing profiles will have this problem.
----------------------------------------------------------------

For me, to work around the problem - This is the Desktop Version:

Create a brand new Windows User account - you must do this as an admin.
→ open control panel, select add or remove user accounts.
→ select create a new user account - type in a name for the new account.
→ set as standard user - no need for the admin setting - and it's a bit more secure.
→ click create account.
→ log off from the current account
Login into that new account you just created.
Open Chrome and Log into your game account.
No access to admin account. Can't create a new user account.

I'm fubared,,,thanks FOE! Been here since Day 1...

JustKowhai

Private
No access to admin account. Can't create a new user account.

I'm fubared,,,thanks FOE! Been here since Day 1...
Have you tried a different browser yet? INNO support must be inundated with this issue, hope a fix comes soonest. I feel for you - see my other post in this thread.

Kyrael

FoE Team
Community Manager
Chrome browsers are currently affected by an issue with Intel graphics. As this is an issue with the browser and not with the game, there are a few things you can try. The first, if you have an integrated GPU in addition to a dedicated GPU, is to check your chrome settings and ensure it is using the dedicated gpu.

Screenshot 2022-08-19 at 11.53.43.png

If this does not work, you can also check your Chrome://flags and try enabling WebGL Draft Extensions

image-2022-08-23-14-41-20-697.png

We are also of course continuing to investigate this, however it is not an issue with the game but the browser, and so this limits our options. If none of the above works, loading the game on an alternate browser such as Firefox will work.

Update:
Using a windows account With The Chrome Foe Game loading problem:

Please Note the following procedure erases all bookmarks, saved passwords, etc.

From an Admin account:
I took ownership of the Users/[account user name of the target]/Appdata/local/google/chrome folder.
Very important - be sure to select the desired user account name

After that, I deleted Appdata/local/google/chrome. Effectively creating a "new chrome profile"
Tried loading the game and everything now works as expected.

Summary: Something in the chrome profile is corrupted as it pertains to FOE.
If time permits, I may attempt to further isolate it to the foe files/folders that are actually causing the problem.

Browser version:

Now happening more often - today I had to delete my chrome directory as I stated above, multiple times.

In other words: after deleting my chrome folders - the game loads ok.
after exiting the game and coming back to it - it's now more likely to get the "something went wrong" error

My educated guess - Something with inno or more likely one of your advertisers is corrupting my chrome profile.

Update: the problem is far more repeatable now; allowing for me to begin to isolate where the problem folder or file is.

Last edited:
When I get this Error:
1661907740362.png

I close the chrome browser

then open file explorer to:
1661907829511.png

At this point I can delete Either the [First Run] or [Local State] file:
I prefer to delete the [First Run] file as this preserves All other Information.

Now I open the chrome browser and load the game - please note the browser will think this is 1st time load for chrome - I ignore it and go to setting to [show my bookmarks]

1661908111575.png

I click my bookmark for the game and login and select the desired world
1661908207224.png

the game loads and now I can play the game
1661908267535.png

Attachments

• 1661908267819.png
    1661908267819.png
    584.7 KB · Views: 56
I hope the information provided above will allow the FOE developers to figure out what is going on.
Having to do the file delete to get the game to load is a real bummer.

Kyrael

FoE Team
Community Manager
Please note that this is an issue with Chrome, not the game, therefore our developers cannot fix it.

However, we have been advised that Chrome v. 105 should resolve the issue, so could you please try updating your browser to this version, then try loading the game again.

just ran the update again now updated to: Version 105.0.5195.54 (Official Build) (64-bit).
appears to work now. thx.
when I did the chrome update about a week or so ago - it appears it did not update to the 105 version
Anyway, looks good now!

Kyrael

FoE Team
Community Manager
Yes, the 105 is a new version :) Thanks for your feedback! Looks like this should solve the issue for everyone experiencing it.