• Dear forum reader,
    To actively participate in our forum discussions or to start your own threads, in addition to your game account, you need a forum account. You can
    REGISTER HERE!
    Please ensure a translation into English is provided if your post is not in English and to respect your fellow players when posting.
  • We are looking for you!
    Always wanted to join our Support or Forum Team? We are looking for enthusiastic moderators!
    Take a look at our recruitment page for more information and how you can apply:
    Apply
  • Forum Contests

Won't you join us for out latest contest?
    You can check out the newest one here.

Change to decorations

DeletedUser9070

Proposal
Change to decorations to fix both usefulness of having decorations and them being an annoyance whilst trying to polish cities.

Have you Checked the Ideas section for the same idea posted by someone else? Is this idea similar to one that has been previously suggested?
Yep, Nope.

Reason
  • Right now decorations aren't being used all that much because they are not very efficient in terms of happiness gained by square, the goal of many players is to make their city decoration-less as to show how good their layout is to maximise happiness.
  • It is daunting task to seek through decorations to reach for a cultural building to polish since they are both polish-able, some cities can become a real nightmare of stars making it difficult to see.
  • No one really want their decorations polished, there are better buildings to polish or motivate instead.

Details
I propose these two things :
  • Removal of polish action on decorations
  • Increase in happiness from decoration by 50%

Balance/Abuse Prevention
None.

DeletedUser7719

-1, if I don't mind people bp-searching in my city, I want to use decorations for them to polish...

DeletedUser

In the city I have open at the moment I am in Late Middle Ages. I still use public baths (many still do although it is time to upgrade). The public bath gives slightly over 35 points per square. Alternatively I could build potted plants at 41 points per square. The bath can be polished by one person but needs a road to it. The plants are pretty good if polished and do not need roads. This is just one example of why I believe the decorations already give enough happiness. In short, I am happy with the happiness they give.

As to the polishing. I like them polished on occasion. Not all the time but its nice. In addition I like to polish other people's decorations when I am trying to get blueprints for a certain age.

These are the reasons I so not like this idea.

DeletedUser9070

@byeordie : I can't understand why you would want to a player to polish a decoration rather than a cultural, a supply or even a house building, those give you a higher return and said person also get chance for a BP just the same.

@GrossEyeEh : Like you said Public Bath and other big buildings like it are great because with just 1 polish it makes up for the space it takes and is easier to keep a happy city, which means more space for other buildings (military,houses,supply,...), using decorations and having them polished (need several players!) is a bit of a waste that could be better used, if you had 16 players polishing 16 potted plants, you could have had 1 player polish a public bath and 15 players boosting your supply/coins.
Actually you were comparing an Iron Age cultural building to a LMA decoration here, surely you understand how much more effecient it would be for you to have an acamedy at this point right?

Seems to me its more of a case that some cities are inactive and you would want to continue polishing the decos. I can understand that, but it still wouldn't impact BP searching all that much, surely the game mechanism shouldn't rely on being able to interact with cities of players that no longer play.

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser7719

One word: space. The smallest type a building would be a 2x2 (which means houses, blacksmiths, and gallows), and I don't feel the need of taking 4 times the space for something I don't need to build

DeletedUser9070

One word: space. The smallest type a building would be a 2x2 (which means houses, blacksmiths, and gallows), and I don't feel the need of taking 4 times the space for something I don't need to build

So, dismissing my whole idea just for a few decorations you ever have, that you actually would want those polished? Seriously? My idea would leave you able to use decoration where needed for your spaces and the polish/motivation would go to a better building, besides if you have gaps there's always something to do to better your layout.

DeletedUser1094

Decorations are just that... decorations. They are only useful in quests and to "prettify" your city, but still gives some happiness-points just like roads. If you do not like decorations or the possibility of "support-misuse" of them, then don't build them (you don't need them).

I've said it before : I'm strongly against limiting "the free will", regarding the support options and will fight any suggestion into such... (-1 from me)

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser9070

Decorations are just that... decorations. They are only useful in quests and to "prettify" your city, but still gives some happiness-points just like roads. If you do not like decorations or the possibility of "support-misuse" of them, then don't build them (you don't need them).

I've said it before : I'm strongly against limiting "the free will", regarding the support options and will fight any suggestion into such... (-1 from me)

Jeez? Do people actually read OP? My idea is to encourage the use of decoration! not limiting, if they are worth 50% more happiness they'll be more appreciated, I would like to see cities with decorations, not just for the pretty pixels but to be part of the design of cities.
The boost was to remedy to the problem that they'd become too powerful if they were polishable and to fix the nausea/migraines one can get in decoration-filled cities.

DeletedUser

Perhaps you should RE read your own post Xerk. You call for:

"Removal of polish action on decorations"

And the King said:

"I'm strongly against limiting "the free will"

Any way you want to word it, your proposal puts more limits on the actions that people can do when visiting your city.

DeletedUser6838

Even if the decoration WOULD give 50% more happiness, it would not courage people to use them. Why? It's simple. It takes 9 players to polish 3x3 layout of 1x1 decorations and it takes 1 player to polish a 3x3 cultural building, even if the decorations give the same or even a little more happiness as polished, it's more rational to get a 3x3 cultural building polished and have those other extra 8 players either motivate some supply buildings or houses.

DeletedUser

Good job with using the template!

And a -1 because:
1.) Since the decorations are already rarely used, taking out the polish action would make them almost absolutely pointless.
2.) Many people build decoration from different ages so that their guild mates/neighbors can get a B.P's from whichever age they asked them to build a decoration for.

Unless you change something dramatically in the description it'll remain a -1