• Dear forum reader,
    To actively participate in our forum discussions or to start your own threads, in addition to your game account, you need a forum account. You can
    REGISTER HERE!
    Please ensure a translation into English is provided if your post is not in English and to respect your fellow players when posting.
  • We are looking for you!
    Always wanted to join our Support or Forum Team? We are looking for enthusiastic moderators!
    Take a look at our recruitment page for more information and how you can apply:
    Apply
  • Forum Contests

Won't you join us for out latest contest?
    You can check out the newest one here.

Bullies

DeletedUser98229

What and when are FOE going to do about this kind of action. I have constant attacks and plundered by jeckles of the Hudson Bay co and if I leave my city longer than the time of my goods maturing they are immediately plundered. I have mailed them and they are not interested and continue to attack daily. I have played this game for over 5 years and I'm now at the stage of wondering if its worth to continue as my progress has now ceased due to these attacks. I have no chance to retaliate due to this person having a much higher status and fire power in the game. It would be like attacking a nuclear power with bows and arrows.

Waiting to see how FOE treat bullies.

Sir_Heat

Calydor

Private
Save up in your Friends Tavern to keep your city unattackable for a while, maybe he'll get bored of trying and go harass someone else?

DeletedUser110131

"Dear Inno! There are horrible bullies here, harassing me by handling an aspect of the game better than I do. I'm sick and tired of your game providing challenges. I don't like it when things are hard, and I risk failures or setbacks. A strategy game that requires people to figure out solutions to problems is just silly. Thinking isn't fun at all. Please make it stop!"

This is pretty much how a lot of people will read your post. It's definitely how I read it. Still, I'll give you a serious response:

Your "bully" is just playing the game, using the features and opportunities that it provides. The game has been carefully balanced, to ensure that you have counter moves; you can progress, in spite of plundering.

With the new neighborhood merging system, retaliating will not be "like attacking a nuclear power with bows and arrows". You're close enough to him that, with a properly balanced city and tech tree, you should be able to defeat his defensive army, unless it's very strong, or you're very bad at combat. If that's the case, you should still be able to make it very expensive for him to attack you, as well as make up for your losses by attacking less skilled players.

Of course, he may still keep on attacking, and, if he's good, he'll still win. If he's mainly attacking you for goods, though, he'll stop when it becomes too expensive. If he's attacking for PvP points, he will tolerate higher losses for more points. However, there's a limit, where the damage to troops will prevent him from other attacks; if you can bring him to that point, he will stop.

That said, I don't see how this is such a huge problem. If he's the only one attacking you regularly, you should still have plenty of opportunity to produce more goods than is plundered; he can only loot once every twenty-four hours. You can have many buildings, each of which can have six productions in a day. The problem becomes big only if you check in much less than daily. In that case, you really can't expect much progress.

The game is made to allow many ways of playing it. You can focus more on some aspects, and less on others. However, it's costly to completely ignore an aspect, such as combat, and you have to maintain a minimum of activity, if you want to get anywhere.

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser10851

I too (depending on city) have "bullies" that attack me on a daily bases. Here is my cure: I have a strang defence for the age of my city to see what they are attacking with. When I see that I am getting attacked by someone I have no chance of defending against I change my tactic to this. I remove all defence and leave them with just the default 2 spear chuckers. They get a whole 250 points for defeating them. I also have all goods set to a 24 (one day) collection and make sure I am on to collect before they can come back and loot. The most anyone gets is a few coins (if not on a 24 hur collection)...

They do 1 of 2 things. Keep attacking daily for the 260 points or they get bored at the uselessness of it and skip over me. This is what I have been doing for 4 years and it works pretty well.

DeletedUser109385

Honestly I disagree with so many people telling the guy to just deal with it. I too have been bullied a few times and I definitely wasn't happy with it, it really does make you angry when you can't retaliate, can't set your production, can't use the bait method....all because your bully is simply much better than you. I am well partially sure that INNO will try and fix this bully issue at some point but until then my advice is: Get defensive GBs like Deal Castle or a bunch of watchfires, if you can't do that then disconnect the roads from your Town Hall so they can be finished when you come back, the whole point of this is to make it has hard as possible or as boring as possible for the bully to loot you, he/she will eventually get bored of you and go and choose a target with much more to loot.
I have been a plunderer myself in East-Nagach and the things that make me stop attacking are:
1.Nothing to loot for more than a week so I get bored and find another target.
2. Defense army is too strong.
3.Player has high attacking GBs or lots of rogues hideouts showing he/she can retaliate at any time.

DeletedUser110433

*Sigh* Another such post in short time.
Plundering is serious part of the game, pointless to cut it out.
Yes, it is a pain, i (just like everyone) at some point had such problem. Yes, there are some robbers that monitor your city 24/7 to get 5 min before you collect, turning down a gear (to 24h) is the only thing i can advise for really, really bad cases.
I think assault on other cities should stay in game options. Good luck on getting in a better hood.

DeletedUser103052

Being plundered sucks.. I am plundered on average once a day, but that is my own fault. My defending army should be regularly changed and I could do more to upgrade my defence, but I don't.
The majority of the time, plunders are avoidable, but it takes work.
If you are being plundered because a player is many ages above you, then contact support and they are very helpful in putting you in a better suited neighbourhood. But if you are lazy as I am sometimes, then you cannot complain I am afraid.

DeletedUser98229

Hi All,
To clarify. I have played the game for over 5 years and this is first time I have suffered this kind of constant attack. The person fully knows I have no means to defend or retaliate and has said they will continue after I said I would retaliate against one of their a guild members closer to my position but its mainly because I'm easy pickings. As for us all on the same level field. There is over 8 mill difference between us. They are at 10,844,923 with me at 2,485,103 and my progression has stopped. They are at the top of hood with me near the bottom. My collection time changes because I,m a shift worker but they just keep looking in and if left for a second my goods are gone. My city is now on lock down. FOE are the one,s losing because I am no longer purchasing diamonds to assist my progression. I assume they are using some form of hack that looks for maturing goods and then take it when it ready.
Regards,
Sir_Heat

DeletedUser100065

DeletedUser98229

We all have opinions megatonno. Most have value but unfortunately some don't. I have tried to play the game as it was advertise as free but I have purchased diamonds to accelerate progress as we all have but I do try to keep it at a minimum. I would have thought that making friends and trading was also a major part of the game which I have strived to do without the help and need of a guild. The person attacking has no production to trade.

DeletedUser110131

Hypocritical much?

So, essentially, if an athlete told you "I have lost competitions, and it really sucks, but I also win a lot", you would immediately accuse him of being a hypocrite?

Thinking that failure sucks isn't hypocritical, any more than thinking success is sweet. Both are extremely common, entirely normal, and very healthy responses. What is hypocritical is to take part in a game, and then complain about "unfairness" and "bullying" when you're bested fair and square.

The person fully knows I have no means to defend or retaliate and has said they will continue after I said I would retaliate against one of their a guild members closer to my position but its mainly because I'm easy pickings.

Did you try carrying through on your threat?

As for us all on the same level field. There is over 8 mill difference between us. They are at 10,844,923 with me at 2,485,103 and my progression has stopped. They are at the top of hood with me near the bottom.

The difference between top and bottom of the neighborhood can be significant, but not to the extent you describe.

Defending is a lot easier than attacking; the defender suffers no troop attrition. That's important, because my guess would be that this guy attacks a lot of targets every day. You have access to same-age troops. You can gain higher age troops as rewards (my defensive army has several higher age troops). You have access to Watchfires. You can build defensive buildings. Change your army's composition unpredictably between attacks, so that an attacking army that would win against one composition would loose against the other, and you will be able to inflict some losses on him.

Most importantly, though: This is one guy. He can loot only one production per day. If you run 8 hour productions in 4 buildings, collecting twice in a day, you'll keep 7/8 of what you produce. Collect only once a day, and you'll still keep 3/4. Collect once a day with half the buildings, and you'll still keep 50%, in spite of using minimum space and being inactive to a near-comatose level.

Being plundered is annoying, even extremely annoying. If it's worse than extremely annoying to you, then you're either too sensitive to engage in competitive activity, or you're very bad at this game.

My collection time changes because I,m a shift worker but they just keep looking in and if left for a second my goods are gone. My city is now on lock down. FOE are the one,s losing because I am no longer purchasing diamonds to assist my progression. I assume they are using some form of hack that looks for maturing goods and then take it when it ready.

That would be a script, not a hack. In spite of InnoGames' protestations, it's perfectly possible. Bad scripts will leave some signs they can use to identify them, especially if they're given special scrutiny, so you may try to raise the issue with support. If he uses a script that checks as frequently as you suggest, that would be one of those signs. Most likely, though, he's simply a very active player, cycling through the defeated cities several times a day.

If he does use a script, though, the plus side is that he probably uses it to attack, as well. That means he has no advantage over the AI that's running your defense, and he has no way of retreating to prevent heavy losses.

I would have thought that making friends and trading was also a major part of the game which I have strived to do without the help and need of a guild.

It is indeed a major part of the game, as expressed through the feature of guilds. To "strive to do it" without a guild is... well... ahem... unusual.

The person attacking has no production to trade.

Oh, but he does. It's very likely that he's trading your production; he certainly has it to trade, if he wishes. If you carry through on your threat, and plunder his guildmate, there's every chance you can trade back your own goods.

DeletedUser

So, essentially, if an athlete told you "I have lost competitions, and it really sucks, but I also win a lot", you would immediately accuse him of being a hypocrite?...
What is hypocritical is to take part in a game, and then complain about "unfairness" and "bullying" when you're bested fair and square.
Your analogy is not apt. In this case of the quote I posted and in the case of many other commentors here; the athletes not only do not like to lose, but also actively campaign for the end of the sport in their spare time, complain at every juncture about the unfairness and bullies within the sport, but still take their medals and cheer on their podiums when they happen to win. That is hypocritical.

DeletedUser110131

Your analogy is not apt. In this case of the quote I posted and in the case of many other commentors here; the athletes not only do not like to lose, but also actively campaign for the end of the sport in their spare time, complain at every juncture about the unfairness and bullies within the sport, but still take their medals and cheer on their podiums when they happen to win. That is hypocritical.

I tend only to assume the premises that are explicitly stated, in the specific discussion, by the subject him- or herself, according to my most reasonable (a degree of reasonability which has been subject to occasional dispute) interpretation of the subjects texts. In this case, I saw no indications that Soldatos is campaigning for the end of FoE, nor that he complains of unfairness and bullies. Apart from his failure to put "bully" in quotes, there's nothing to indicate that he's complaining about being unfairly treated, or confessing to have been deliberately unfair to others. Once I assumed that the absence of quotes around "bully" was a mere oversight, here's what I found to be the most reasonable reading of his post:

Honestly I disagree with so many people telling the guy to just deal with it.
"Let's show the guy some compassion!"
I too have been bullied a few times and I definitely wasn't happy with it, it really does make you angry when you can't retaliate, can't set your production, can't use the bait method
"Being in his position can be really rough! I've been there, myself, and know the frustration."
all because your bully is simply much better than you.
"The fact that your opponent is beating you fair and square really doesn't make you feel any better."
I am well partially sure that INNO will try and fix this bully issue at some point
"I actually agree that Inno should do something to make it less rough when you loose."
but until then my advice is:
"However, for now, you have to play the game the way it is."

Now, I disagree with Soldatos on several points. I have told the guy to "just deal with it", very nearly flat out, and I see absolutely no need for InnoGames to change this aspect of the game. However, I also see no indications of hypocrisy from Soldatos.

Perhaps Soldatos has written something elsewhere, to make you draw the conclusion that he's a hypocrite. If so, I disagree with your decision to bring it into this thread, especially without any explanation or clarification. Perhaps he simply reminds you of other commenters, causing you to draw conclusions about him, again without any explanation or clarification, which I disagree with even more strongly.

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser

However, I also see no indications of hypocrisy from Soldatos.
We'll just have to agree to disagree on that one. I do not think the quote I highlighted needed further explanation or clarification.
Regardless of Soldatos, we appear to agree on the point at hand.