• Dear forum reader,
    To actively participate in our forum discussions or to start your own threads, in addition to your game account, you need a forum account. You can
    REGISTER HERE!
    Please ensure a translation into English is provided if your post is not in English and to respect your fellow players when posting.
  • We are looking for you!
    Always wanted to join our Support or Forum Team? We are looking for enthusiastic moderators!
    Take a look at our recruitment page for more information and how you can apply:
    Apply
  • Forum Contests

Won't you join us for out latest contest?
    You can check out the newest one here.

Bronze Vs Iron PVP

Status
Not open for further replies.

DeletedUser

So at the moment, I dont have any iron age infantry.... Im trying to beat some of the iron age locations with the use of bronze age units....

I use slingers and try to range them but sometimes it isnt working the best when they use ballistas and archers

any tips? im fairly new to this game...

DeletedUser3157

Are you talking about attacking your nabers who use iron age armies or attacking the map? If it's the map you are speaking about, then spearmen alone are usually enough to defeat first few of the iron age provinces. They are good because even if you fail, you can give it a 2nd go a few minutes later and learn from your mistakes. Slingers take long to retrain, but usually become needed once you face more difficult full 8 slot iron age units though.

Overall rule of thumb seems to be to use shooters when facing many slower melee units and some faster melee units in your mix when facing many shooters from the enemy side.

DeletedUser

no matter what i do, i cannot beat this campaign mission.... they have 7 units, 3 ballistas + 4 soldiers..... what do i do... those ballistas hit me from across map...

DeletedUser1862

Do you have stone throwers yet? I would go in with at least 4 slingers and 3 or 4 stone throwers. Ranged weapons are the best. When you age up, go for those Iron Age Archers! They will take you far, far into the later ages.:)

DeletedUser2974

no matter what i do, i cannot beat this campaign mission.... they have 7 units, 3 ballistas + 4 soldiers..... what do i do... those ballistas hit me from across map...

Hi there Uncle,

There's actually a few things you can do. Some have been mentioned already, others have not. The first thing you can do is wait until you are able to get Iron Age archers. This might keep you in the same place for a while, but Iron Age archers are one of the best units to have when starting off (and even through the Early and High Middle Ages)

Another thing you can do, as Mamacat stated above me, is get Stone Throwers. These are the long range units for the Bronze age and will be able to shoot far enough to kill those pesky Ballistae hanging out on the right side of the map.

The last idea is to simply negotiate for that mission. Each mission has the ability to use Goods made in your city to pay off the army in that sector. Once you do this then you will obtain the sector without having to kill anyone at all.

Hope this helps,

~Ninga78234

DeletedUser1862

I just thought of something else! There is a trick that it took me quite a bit of practice to work out. Ready?
Just because it is your turn to move first (most often) doesn't mean you have to move your units. Just click on them where they are or sometimes move them to the sides if they are in a first rank so they actually move back one space. That often (not always) will keep them out of range when the AI makes it's first moves. It is actually very often to your advantage to not go first. This way, especially if you have ranged units like slingers or archers, the enemy moves first so that when you advance into the field, they are then in range.

It's hard sometimes to not want to move onto the field right away. It takes practice and it takes patience to figure out what is the best strategy for each unit and each landscape. I was really bad at this kind of warfare (taking turns) when I started. I learned a lot in our empty neighborhood by repeatedly taking on the untended cities with just two spears. Working your way up from the bottom allows you to gradually face more challenge. Practice helps a lot.

The first time I faced that challenge, I ended up negotiating even though my neighborhood (at the time) barely had two coins to rub together and no one seemed to have the bonus materials. The second time around, I was well practiced and made short work of the balista and other units with my stone throwers and slingers.

Good luck and good fun to you.

Status
Not open for further replies.