• Dear forum reader,
    To actively participate in our forum discussions or to start your own threads, in addition to your game account, you need a forum account. You can
    REGISTER HERE!
    Please ensure a translation into English is provided if your post is not in English and to respect your fellow players when posting.
  • We are looking for you!
    Always wanted to join our Support or Forum Team? We are looking for enthusiastic moderators!
    Take a look at our recruitment page for more information and how you can apply:
    Apply
  • Forum Contests

Won't you join us for out latest contest?
    You can check out the newest one here.

Forwarded: Battle messed up after calling service error

DeletedUser

I was in the middle of attacking a province, when the game stopped letting me move units. After a short wait, I decided to refresh my browser. Just as I did, a "Calling Service" error popped up. When the game re-loaded, and I got back to the battle, things were all messed up. The units which had been alive were now in the same places they had been before re-loading. Several dead units, however, had been resurrected (both mine and the AI's), and were in the places they had been when they died. This caused a pair of mounted units to share the same tile (see screenshot).

ForgeOfEmpiresBattleError.jpg
(click here to enlarge)
In addition to the units pointed out on the image, one of the AI's armored infantry units should be dead.

• World: Brisgard
  • Browser and Version: Chrome 20.0.1132.57 m
  • Overview of the bug: See above
  • Screenshots: See above
  • How often this occurs: Has only happened once.
  • Urgency: Not very high, unless this becomes a common problem.
  • Preventative Actions
  • Summary: Battle is messed up after calling service error.
  • I have performed a quicksearch of the forums using a select few keywords relating to my bug to see if it has already been reported: Yes
  • Have you tried fixing it by using
    these methods
    ?:
    Most of the methods do not apply, since the problem is server side. I've performed all reasonable measures for the issue at hand.

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser

When I retreated the battle, I found that the server still saw those units as dead. It would be nice if something could be done to return my now decimated army to where it was pre-battle.

DeletedUser1081

wow, that's wild! thanks for the very interesting explanation and illustration. which province was it? and did you try continuing the battle after you got that screenshot? (i'm just curious)

for the record: i wasn't sure at first why you feel your army should be restored to the way it was pre-battle, since the battle took place, and the bug didn't kill off any more of your units than had died (gloriously i'm sure) before the bug came along. but then i realized: how is he/she supposed to redo that messed-up battle with his/her army in shreds like that? it doesn't really look like you were winning but you might have.

if it were me i'd file a request for in-game support (right-click on your main village screen, then choose "support" from the pop-up menu and proceed from there) and i'd include a link to this thread.

DeletedUser

When I retreated the battle, I found that the server still saw those units as dead. It would be nice if something could be done to return my now decimated army to where it was pre-battle.

Oh hey there....."calling service error" is another good way of saying "your flash has crashed". It would seem to me that the developers have no interest in fixing this as they only want you to log on one world at a time because their side/server hasn't the ability to handle the information flow, so your Flash is bombarded by FOE until it crashes. Don't expect this to change as they have decided it is fixed.

DeletedUser

Further note: shortly after I retreated from battle, I got a message that my forces were still in a battle. I continued the battle and found that my 3 surviving Mounted Archers were in a battle with 2 spearmen (I forget the proper name for the first infantry unit you get). I made quick work of them, and found myself viewing the sector list for Sturmhohen, the province I had been attacking. Sadly, winning that battle did not give me the sector I had been attempting to capture (the center one).

@mink - thanks for the info. I'll certainly do that. I'm actually fairly confident that I'd have won eventually, though it was certain to be a pyrrhic victory. What I had left was able to move much better, and I could have spent the rest of the battle kiting the armored infantry to death. It was, by no means, a certain win, but you rarely get such a luxury in battle.

@Shark - honestly, I'm not looking for a fix to the "calling service error". Errors happen; there's no avoiding that. I just wanted them to know, so they could consider addressing how the game handles things when an error _does_ happen. If I get my units refunded, or get the resources to replace them myself, so much the better. The game is free to play; who am I to complain when something they provide for free doesn't work exactly the way I want it. If you're so unhappy that you're going to go complain on other people's bug reports (not helpful), I have to wonder why you continue to play.

DeletedUser

@Shark - honestly, I'm not looking for a fix to the "calling service error". Errors happen; there's no avoiding that. I just wanted them to know, so they could consider addressing how the game handles things when an error _does_ happen. If I get my units refunded, or get the resources to replace them myself, so much the better. The game is free to play; who am I to complain when something they provide for free doesn't work exactly the way I want it. If you're so unhappy that you're going to go complain on other people's bug reports (not helpful), I have to wonder why you continue to play.

This has nothing to do with being a free game or complaining. Simply put, it is their problem and they refuse to fix it. There are several online games that have patches weekly to fix their errors, why should FOE be any different? I really don't see what's not helpful? Its a flash problem, that's all I was saying to you. Only reason I posted here is, it is the same thing as stated in another thread. When an error happens that they have created to happen, is it really in their interest to have all the players putting in tickets? I'll guarantee you every player is experiencing flash crashes.

Stay tuned for more threads on this until its addressed. Its only a matter of time before the damn breaks. Call it complaining or what ever you like, its a problem they are ignoring. Guess you may as well point out to everyone else they are complainers for asking about this. Like I'm the only one that wants this fixed lol. Get real.

DeletedUser276

and you think we are ignoring it because its not 100% fixed at this time?

I have talked to the admins a few times about this and I know that they are trying to get it rolling but when they think they got it nipped they release another update and whammo... back to the same thing as before.

I am not argueing how they should fix it. Thats way above my paygrade but because somethings not done to your specifications or desires of speed doesnt mean that it has been ignored.

Also dont be rude in your posts. He didnt post anything "rude" to you as I only see enquirees on why your so upset and yet keep coming back.

DeletedUser

Blast. Not sure how I missed your post, RufusT.Firefly. Sorry, mods, for double-posting. I swear I searched! Looks like we were fighting on different servers and in different provinces, Rufus. Still, same basic issue.

DeletedUser

and you think we are ignoring it because its not 100% fixed at this time?

I have talked to the admins a few times about this and I know that they are trying to get it rolling but when they think they got it nipped they release another update and whammo... back to the same thing as before.

I am not argueing how they should fix it. Thats way above my paygrade but because somethings not done to your specifications or desires of speed doesnt mean that it has been ignored.

Also dont be rude in your posts. He didnt post anything "rude" to you as I only see enquirees on why your so upset and yet keep coming back.

Interesting. I wouldn't have to repost at all if I got a response that something was actually in the works on this problem. Thanks for talking to the admins. The last response to this problem was "its fixed". I could call "its fixed" rude but yah, everything is a matter of perception. Thanks for the reply.

DeletedUser17

The issue with the "ghost" units is reported and will be implemented with the next update. Please remember that fixing bugs is not always instantaneous. Thank you for your patience.