• Dear forum reader,
    To actively participate in our forum discussions or to start your own threads, in addition to your game account, you need a forum account. You can
    REGISTER HERE!
    Please ensure a translation into English is provided if your post is not in English and to respect your fellow players when posting.
  • We are looking for you!
    Always wanted to join our Support or Forum Team? We are looking for enthusiastic moderators!
    Take a look at our recruitment page for more information and how you can apply:
    Apply
  • Forum Contests

Won't you join us for out latest contest?
    You can check out the newest one here.

Ballista is a pain in the butt!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

DeletedUser

Hey

I am having a really tough time when i have to deal with armies containing ballistas.

can any one give me a good piece of advice or any plans about destroying them. PLEASE

right now i have horsemen, slingers, warriors, spearmens. thank youuuu

DeletedUser

Hi bab2c,

take all the horsemen you can get, mix it with fast spearmens and attack.
The faster you get the ballistas destroyed the better, and they dont retaliate
AND dont use autoattack, you will loose and loose again ...
Maybe you want to post some enemynumbers so I could give some elaborate instructions
Until then 4/4 (Horse/Spear) or maybe 2/6 (Horse/Spear)
Place your Spearmans into the forest to get a defensebonus.
Edit : Also dont forget to infiltrate the region (100g) which makes the combat 10% easier

Greets
Funonline

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser

WoW dear, i appreciate your help :)

so i just need to CHARGE to them, thanks i will try this mixture. hope it works again thanks :D

DeletedUser

I've conquered all provinces till West-Nagash only with 8 spearmen. Didn't build slings/horses/warriors at all (even didn't spend money/supply/space on the buildings). West-Nagash is the next province to conquer (probably i'll build some soldiers for this).

Concerning ballistas - kill them as early as you can and use bush/trees to protect spearman that will be shot by ballistas next.

DeletedUser

I've conquered all provinces till West-Nagash only with 8 spearmen.

Realllllyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy!!! With 8 spearmen you went through legion-er+ archers+soldiers ???
dude it's amazing.

However, i managed to destroy ballista party with the mixture of SP+horsemen. i will try that too :D

DeletedUser

Realllllyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy!!! With 8 spearmen you went through legion-er+ archers+soldiers ???
dude it's amazing.

Yeah. Legionnaires are tightest to kill by spears but surprisingly i even conquered province with 5 legionnaires and 2 soldiers (thanks to a lot of swamps there making legionnaires even more slow). And those provinces with 2-3 ballistas were even easier to conquer if you pay attention on ballistes and kill them early.

DeletedUser

WoW dear, i appreciate your help :)

so i just need to CHARGE to them, thanks i will try this mixture. hope it works again thanks :D

I see you've got the idea :D
Later in the game you need to analyse the enemy and select the matching troops with the greatest chance of success.

When the enemy mainly had:
long range & short range use fast troops (light infantry + cavalry) to get them
cavalry & light infantry use long / short range
cavalry & heavy infantry use long range / heavy infantry
heavy & light infantry use long / short range
long range & heavy infantry now you've got a problem :rolleyes: these are the hardest fights you can get, try to focus on one tactic (kill long range or kill heavy infantry)

DeletedUser

oh funonline i wonder how many troops u sent to achieve this tactic. anyway i used ur method and it worked properly thxxxxxxxxxxx

DeletedUser

Playing mainly military ingame, so let's say you need a LOT of troops later on for some progress.
If trading would work better (which it doesn't) you could negotiate through some tough cookies (Long Range & Heavy Infantry for example).

But so you really need to "learn" fast the tactics or do no progress at all.
Right now I'm at the maps: Pfefferberg & Dunkelwald (beginning of Early Middle Age) and overall to this point I would say I've lost 5-6 fights completely. (or in numbers ~50-70 Units)
There are some real close one's (last man standing) and others relatively easy.

When you've scouted a new map focus on the "easy" battles with only 6 enemyunits to get some fast resources and expand your army to manage the 7 or 8 enemyunits fights.

And dont try to rush into a fight without the propper tactical units for the enemy, you will loose most (or all) of your units, which costs you much more time to rebuild then to wait for 1-2 units before the fight.

DeletedUser

I found that if I am getting hammered in a battle and there is no chance of winning you can close down the screen, log out then log back in and 'retreat' when the 'something needs your attention' box appears, this keeps all your troops alive even if all but one died before you logged out.

Handy

DeletedUser

That would be considered a bog / loophole that I am sure will be fixed to stop the abuse. ;)

DeletedUser

I am currently over the top of the continent and hit a wall where my iron age units just stand no chance against crossbows and knights... I just got my first EME unit building under construction (horse archers) I am hoping they will be as good for me as they were difficult to kill... the last few territories i resorted to trading and negotiating for land when they got to tough... but the trade costs here are high and no one even me can produce the goods needed... guess i have to sit and wait a bit :)

DeletedUser

i am stuck on 5 spearmen and 2 ballisters. i have tried it about 5 times with slingers spearmen horsemen stone trowers warriors and i can seem to beat them so bloody annoying i need help!

DeletedUser

Well - i have to say the horse archers did the trick, I have used two of them in conjunction with an army of archers and managed to get past the crossbows, now I face knights...

DeletedUser210

Well - i have to say the horse archers did the trick, I have used two of them in conjunction with an army of archers and managed to get past the crossbows, now I face knights...

Just take loads of soldiers, that seems to work pretty well.

DeletedUser

Surprise surprise - even the knights die pretty easy, the only unit that has really been a challenge so far now that i have horse archers and archers is the heavy infanty, but only cause my horse archers can take out the trebuchets and then get killed by the damn things... other than that, still no great challenge just have to wait a few hours to replace them...

DeletedUser

bringing this topic back.... 6 ballistas and 2 soldiers, how? i have 8 spearmen, 4 slingers, 7 archers and only 1 soldier at the moment. ive tried many different combos and no luck. ballistas take out archers in 2 shots and 1 shot from an archer only takes them down to 1 bar. any suggestions? thanks

DeletedUser1164

bringing this topic back.... 6 ballistas and 2 soldiers, how? i have 8 spearmen, 4 slingers, 7 archers. ive tried many different combos and no luck. ballistas take out archers in 2 shots and 1 shot from an archer only takes them down to 1 bar. any suggestions? thanks

I had the same problem. My solution is I just went with 8 spearmen. I advanced keeping as many in the woods/cover as possible and taking out the two soldiers on the way to the balistas. It involves a few tries and luck in the combat resolution/dice roll but I eventually beat the map on my 4th try (using all spearmen) with one spearmen left standing with one point of health left and he had the last shot to win it. Close but I finaly managed after 4-5 days of trying combos. In the end the good old spearmen were the answer for me and since they were cheap I just spammed them and tried again until I got lucky with the result.

DeletedUser

I had the same problem. My solution is I just went with 8 spearmen. I advanced keeping as many in the woods/cover as possible and taking out the two soldiers on the way to the balistas. It involves a few tries and luck in the combat resolution/dice roll but I eventually beat the map on my 4th try (using all spearmen) with one spearmen left standing with one point of health left and he had the last shot to win it. Close but I finaly managed after 4-5 days of trying combos. In the end the good old spearmen were the answer for me and since they were cheap I just spammed them and tried again until I got lucky with the result.

yea ive attempted that at least 5 times, and twice ive gotten the ballista to 1 bar and they had last shot and killed my last spearmen. might as well go at it again since you say its possible lol

DeletedUser

My strategy? If I see 3 ballista on the lineup I usually trade my way through that province. Two or less use mounted warriors/spearmen.

Status
Not open for further replies.