• Dear forum reader,
    To actively participate in our forum discussions or to start your own threads, in addition to your game account, you need a forum account. You can
    REGISTER HERE!
    Please ensure a translation into English is provided if your post is not in English and to respect your fellow players when posting.
  • We are looking for you!
    Always wanted to join our Support or Forum Team? We are looking for enthusiastic moderators!
    Take a look at our recruitment page for more information and how you can apply:
    Apply
  • Forum Contests

Won't you join us for out latest contest?
    You can check out the newest one here.

Are Cavalry Underpowered?

Status
Not open for further replies.

DeletedUser

Hi, I'm about halfway through the Early Middle Ages now, and I've noticed an alarming trend with each age so far.

- ranged unit ranges from VERY GOOD to decent
- light infantry unit is consistently good
- heavy infantry is consistently bad, unless against primarily light infantry
- siege units seem to be consistently mediocre: good vs archers, but consume a ridiculous amount of population
- cavalry units are consistently terrible: they are supposed to counter ranged units, yet slingers beat their cavalry counterpart, and archers beat their cavalry counterpart. In fact, archers even beat pure EMA cavalry. On top of this, they are tied with siege units for consuming the largest amount of population.

Do people who have reached the HMA/LMA have the same feeling as me: that cavalry are garbage? Or does this change?

I feel like cavalry need to be stronger to compensate for consuming a ton of population and having a larger footprint in your town.

DeletedUser1081

i'm early in the HMA; i haven't got knights yet and i doubt i'll bother. as far as i can tell the only reason to have horses is to admire the animation (which is thoroughly admirable!). it's too bad they're so useless in combat.

in other words: yeah, i'd support the idea of making cavalry units stronger, if it were posted in the "Ideas" section.

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser

They're garbage far as the knights I've brushed up with are concerned. It's funny when some unit gets beaten by its prey unit, you could always mow down knights just about as easy as you do heavy cavalry with archers...

DeletedUser

I have used cavalery in the early ages and if used in a "atacking army" it can be usefull. Try putting them on the flank side of the maps and the ai will move there units there and your archers kan have free range on them. While if AI controlls them they are like look i'm in atacking range CHARGE! There are some points why they are not used.
------------------
Point 1: Melee unit. Why would you use them because a melee unit always get counter if atacking a other melee and so takes dmg. Now heal that with diamonds make that gold and you can keep playing with them. While archers can be used all them time if used correctly and take almost never dmg. We are even forced to build a doctor in the qeust line.
------------------
Point 2: Range, while they can walk a long way the AI rush to the frontline with some cavalary and can be picked of real fast.
------------------
I will used them again but when my tech tree is done untill then i use only range and light and i beat al those AI and farm all my neighbors with minimum losses.

DeletedUser

I said from the original Beta that all Cav are underpowered

Status
Not open for further replies.