• Dear forum reader,
    To actively participate in our forum discussions or to start your own threads, in addition to your game account, you need a forum account. You can
    REGISTER HERE!
    Please ensure a translation into English is provided if your post is not in English and to respect your fellow players when posting.
  • We are looking for you!
    Always wanted to join our Support or Forum Team? We are looking for enthusiastic moderators!
    Take a look at our recruitment page for more information and how you can apply:
    Apply
  • Forum Contests

Won't you join us for out latest contest?
    You can check out the newest one here.

Ancient Egypt Combat Tutorial/Guide/Beastiary

Do you thinking adding some kind of feature to help players learn the features would be helpful?

• No

Votes: 6 46.2%
  • Optional combat tutorial similar to at the start of the game

Votes: 4 30.8%
  • Beastiary outlining every units stats and abilities

Votes: 2 15.4%
  • More detailed combat guide (unit strategy and core differences of AE combat)

Votes: 3 23.1%
  • I do think that something should be done, but I don't like these solutions

Votes: 2 15.4%

• Total voters

Blayze99

Private
Proposal: To create an in-game tutorial/Guide/beastiary to assist players with learning the mechanics of Ancient Egypt's combat system

Have you checked for similar ideas?: I searched for 'Ancient Egypt' in general which had very few hits with none related to this

Reason: Many players are having unsatisfactory game experiences due to the steep learning curve on the combat system. The combat system in Ancient Egypt has several unique mechanics that players need to learn before they can fight battles effectively. This includes:

- Each units' special ability (I understand that a few of these appear in the main game like retaliate, however players still need to learn which unit has which ability here)
- Which units counter which other units (stacked with that each unit counters and is countered by 2 units instead of 1)
- Terrain bonuses for each unit
- Exactly how well each units counters its counter as well as exactly how important each of the terrain and special bonuses are

All of these feature are in the standard game, so why are they an issue here? For a few reasons. First, there is simply more different things put in all at once. This means that players have more to learn at one time, which can be very overwhelming. Second, some of the bonuses are not intuitive. Why do Nubian Archers get increased defence on rocks? Why do chariots get increased defence in forest? Why are chariots weak against melee infantry with swords? Due to this, it can be very easy to forget about abilities and make crucial mistakes.

Why does making mistakes matter here so much? Since everything has two counters and high damage so that every unit gets 2 shot by its counters, it is an unforgiving environment for mistakes. Lastly, and this is the big deal, losing a battle feels bad. Really bad. This is because you can't do anything in the settlement without winning fights. This is also because you are on time pressure, and it feels (and is) a massive set back to lose fights early and miss goods productions. If you lose your army, it can also be very expensive and take a long time to retrain them early in the settlement. This is especially relevant since the stages where you will make the most mistakes is at the start where you are still trying to learn the system.

Also yes, I know that Nubian Archers are strong, and you can easily win fights with them, but that still doesn't help the issue of people being turned away before they can even get going.

Details: I think that creating a guide/tutorial/beastiary could strongly help to curb this early learning curve to the settlement. Details explaining core concepts, such as the terrain boosts, counter abilities, special abilities, volatility of combat as well as a few general tips for playing units would go a long to way helping out the players who are either a) not combat players or b) have difficulty learning the new system.

Balance: This does not affect any mechanics and should have no impact on game balance.

Visual Aids:
-
Beastiary - would be a button by itself, from the bottom menu. Maybe have a shortcut to it in the army management screen
- would have one page per unit and display their stats, as well as strengths and weakness. Basically what shows when you click the unit.
- potentially could have a combat pentagon. Each corner would be a different unit with green/ red arrows to the other corners indicate strong/weak against.
- could easily incorporate historical info here

-Tutorial - should be optional
- would talk through each of the relevant details, emphasising the aspects of the system that are different to normal
- would pop up upon unlocking the siege camp as a 'Do you want to complete the tutorial' sort of message

-Guide - Would be likely visible as a question mark on each unit, or as multiple pages from the Siege Camp's blue question mark button
- state many of the same things as the tutorial
- would focus on concepts rather than stats. Such as that every unit (generally) 2 shots the units it counters

WinnerGR

Captain
I vote for the last option as I would like an interactive demo/tutorial that can be whached from the pyramid screen.

I understand most of egyptian fighting now it took me 3 Egypt son beta to do that.

Last edited:

Agent327

Overlord
You do know that the tutorial at the start of the game isn't optional?

Combat skills is a learning curve that comes with time. A tutorial will be rushed and a guide will not be read and players still complain. Luckily, unlike the game, you can start the settlement over again, so you have the option to learn.

DeletedUser

No, i think that its taking too much time already, plus there are tutorials on Youtube
Agent has a point, i would help 5% of the people but that help exists in Youtube already
Instead of your Idea for a Tutorial, you can create a FoE Channel in youtube and make the tutorials there for whom is interested

Blayze99

Private
It seems to me that you are saying something along the lines of that the information that I am asking to be implemented is not 'core' enough for Inno to need to supply it in-game. Similar to how I wouldn't expect Inno to have in-game guides on how to run a 1.9 Arc Thread.

I believe that this case is relevantly different, however. That is, you do not need to know how to run an Arc Thread to have a positive game experience. However, you do need at least a basic-intermediate understanding of the combat system to enjoy the Ancient Egypt settlement. I have heard non-stop since Ancient Egypt came out that it is too confusing, so I believe steps should be taken to help out the player base.

A tutorial will be rushed and a guide will not be read and players still complain.

That is a decent point, people often skip tutorials when presented. This is why resources that are available at all times could be valuable, so when a player decides they need them, they are available.

plus there are tutorials on Youtube

I know that all of the information is already given in guides on Youtube and Wikis, however I do not believe that players should need to look to outside resources to have an enjoyable experience. Yes, some people won't need them, but clearly many do.

No, i think that its taking too much time already

If the tutorial and/or extra information is optional, how would that force added time?

DeletedUser

If the tutorial and/or extra information is optional, how would that force added time?
I know that all of the information is already given in guides on Youtube and Wikis, however I do not believe that players should need to look to outside resources to have an enjoyable experience. Yes, some people won't need them, but clearly many do.

I don't want to explain more, i think the aspect i gave you , gives a perspective for Inno to Make Tutorials - Keep the Game clean - Win Subscribers in Youtube.
Its a 3in1 , so i suppose it was an Awesome Feedback !!

My point is that Ingame Tutorials migh Help but also make the Game Heavier which is a Developers Perspective

Agent327

Overlord
That is a decent point, people often skip tutorials when presented. This is why resources that are available at all times could be valuable, so when a player decides they need them, they are available.

So what it comes down to is that tutorials and guides are available, but you just do not like where they are offered. I would suggest you would copy them and put them on this forum, but that is also an outside resource.

Many need them. They are out there. There absolutely is no reason to reinvent the wheel.

DeletedUser

I would suggest you would copy them and put them on this forum, but that is also an outside resource.
Leaders copy paste Links ingame so its not that <<outside>>
ah did i mentioned about ingame Guilds Forum ?
That probably nobody reads :D

Blayze99

Private
Inno used the strategy of requiring the use of outside resources in the St Patrick's Day event and this was very poorly received. No game feature should require players to access content outside of the game just to understand it. If people need to go to outside resources, this is a clear sign that the concepts are not explained well enough within the game.

(I should make it clear at this point that I am speaking only as a player, if it wasn't already)

DeletedUser

Inno used the strategy of requiring the use of outside resources in the St Patrick's Day event and this was very poorly received. No game feature should require players to access content outside of the game just to understand it. If people need to go to outside resources, this is a clear sign that the concepts are not explained well enough within the game.

(I should make it clear at this point that I am speaking only as a player, if it wasn't already)
Inno like all other games companies like this are depented on outside resources, maybe you dont understand this because you are a player.

Anyway as i said , Guides - Tutorials and other helpfull information can always be in any Guilds In-Game Forum, if you add a tutorial in the Settlement,
it might be an extra content but will be the benefits more or less ?
I've played more than 5.000 Hours on different games, no game can be enjoyed without external resources nowadays.
This doesnt mean that you cant create a self depentend Game but i dont think they want this Direction.
Probably FoE helper has a <<Fight Helper>> aswell haha