• Dear forum reader,
    To actively participate in our forum discussions or to start your own threads, in addition to your game account, you need a forum account. You can
    REGISTER HERE!
    Please ensure a translation into English is provided if your post is not in English and to respect your fellow players when posting.
  • We are looking for you!
    Always wanted to join our Support or Forum Team? We are looking for enthusiastic moderators!
    Take a look at our recruitment page for more information and how you can apply:
    Apply
  • Forum Contests

Won't you join us for out latest contest?
    You can check out the newest one here.

A few issues after a day and a half of playing.

DeletedUser

0.13.8735 (06.08.2012 10:04), EffBee (291101), en5, en_US, WIN 11,3,300,270, Windows XP, MSIE 8.0, 1676x855

Sir,Madam

Following a TV ad just before midnight last Sunday, as I was sat in front of my computer, I went to forge of Empires, registered and started playing.

A few points...

1) During the registration process I created an quick and dirty and short FIVE character password F0E55. After playing for a while I decided I wanted to use a different email address and to make my password longer and stronger. I couldn't change the email because the screen required a SIX character password. I couldn't change the password because the screen required a SIX character old password. As a workaround I used the "Forgot your password" option on the login screen which worked OK. You seem to have a mismatch in password creation validation between account registration and in game password management. There was new version put up between the time I registered and the time I tried to change the email and password which might be relevent.

2) In game bug - internet error.
After attacking a player and winning the combat I plundered one pottery building OK, and immediately after attempting to plunder another (Hunter) got an "internet error" and was thrown back to the city screen.

3) Use of english.
Many years ago I had many dealings with a software company in Munich called SoftLab. I was always most impressed by the quality of the spoken english of everyone I dealt with BUT there was always a little niggling misuse of english which was sometimes confusing. This is happening here too.

For instance to a native english speaker your use of the term "Good" is not quite right. You would need to find an english speaker VERY fluent in your language to explain it properly. I can't. ... "Good" as used by your game in the singular feels wrong - "Goods" is almost always used. I can't explain the rules. I just know when your usage is wrong.

A vinyard is a special farm where grape vines are grown and grapes are harvested. A Winery is a set of buildings where grapes are turned into wine. Some vinyards have wineries. A winery does not necessarily have to be based in a vinyard and may be centrally located serving several vinyards.

I'm sure I have other pedantic little niggles but can't think of any for now.

4) I want a decent online manual so I can figure out what some of the little icons and numbers are for. There just seems to be a mess of guides, FAQs etc.

5) Great fun. Thanks for game. Polish up those little rough edges.

EffBee

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser65

1-this is a new one to me, perhaps the powers that be can look into it for us.

2- "internal error" these little gremlins are known to the devs and are being ironed out as best as possible, but as this is a beta things are constantly changing and being improved, you'll see they will have no sooner ironed out these bugs when the next update comes and brings more little gremlins, the joys of playing a beta game im afraid

3- speaking as a fluent english speaker the lack of a 's at the end of the word good does not in any way take away from my gaming experience.you are correct in saying it is wrong and thats why we have bug thread for such grammer mistakes, check it out here http://forum.en.forgeofempires.com/showthread.php?182-Typo-and-Grammar-Collection-Thread

4- we all want a decent guide but its hard to make one for a game that is constantly changing, you may think they are a mess but players have spent alot of time and effort making those guides for no other reason than to help new players, if you feel you can do better the floor is yours my friend

5- indeed, it is fun :D

p.s- welcome to the game and forums :D

DeletedUser

0.13.8735 (06.08.2012 10:04)

2) In game bug - internet error.
After attacking a player and winning the combat I plundered one pottery building OK, and immediately after attempting to plunder another (Hunter) got an "internet error" and was thrown back to the city screen.

EffBee

I would like to add that it seems you tried to plunder the same player twice? If so, this can not be done, you can only plunder a player once in 24 hours. If you had somehow had the option to do this, it was a bug, and one that was around once before, but a refresh will clear it up. Thanks for playing Forge of Empires.

DeletedUser

I would like to add that it seems you tried to plunder the same player twice? If so, this can not be done, you can only plunder a player once in 24 hours. If you had somehow had the option to do this, it was a bug, and one that was around once before, but a refresh will clear it up. Thanks for playing Forge of Empires.

Ah right - I can only <officially> plunder once - that makes sense else fighting another player would be immensely rewarding. I did however have the option to plunder twice. After several different attacks! But, as you said, after (accidentally) logging out and logging in again, my next attack only allowed the option of one plunder. Thanks.

DeletedUser

1-this is a new one to me, perhaps the powers that be can look into it for us.

2- "internal error" these little gremlins are known to the devs and are being ironed out as best as possible, but as this is a beta things are constantly changing and being improved, you'll see they will have no sooner ironed out these bugs when the next update comes and brings more little gremlins, the joys of playing a beta game im afraid

3- speaking as a fluent english speaker the lack of a 's at the end of the word good does not in any way take away from my gaming experience.you are correct in saying it is wrong and thats why we have bug thread for such grammer mistakes, check it out here http://forum.en.forgeofempires.com/showthread.php?182-Typo-and-Grammar-Collection-Thread

4- we all want a decent guide but its hard to make one for a game that is constantly changing, you may think they are a mess but players have spent alot of time and effort making those guides for no other reason than to help new players, if you feel you can do better the floor is yours my friend

5- indeed, it is fun :D

p.s- welcome to the game and forums :D

> Thanks for that link - as a pedantic old fart I'm sure I'll use it a lot. The serious point I was trying to make is that the term "good" has a different meaning to the term "Goods". It is subtle and a bit more than the mere grammatical lack of an "s". The misuse causes me a little mental dislocation and readjustment. I want to see this game succeed - it deserves to. I don't want to see silly intolerant people put off by confusion caused by wrong language.

>Heh - don't take offence - no criticism intended. I understand that the difficulty of writing a game manual while the game is in development is like trying to nail jelly to a brick wall. All I'm saying is that as a brand new player it is difficult to track down the answers to specific questions in the current game documentation. Oh - and I think I might decline your very kind invitation to document the game :eek:

Now I need to rejoin real life for a while.

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser

Hello effbee, I think this is a nice, and very helpful post, and with this being said, I am going to move it to the feedback section of the forums. I do see a potential bug in what you say, but an official bug report should be made for it in a new post, along with using the supplied template stickied to the main Bugs section.

Thanks for the great feedback, and I think that by the time this game is out of beta, things will be looking great.