• Dear forum reader,
    To actively participate in our forum discussions or to start your own threads, in addition to your game account, you need a forum account. You can
    REGISTER HERE!
    Please ensure a translation into English is provided if your post is not in English and to respect your fellow players when posting.
  • We are looking for you!
    Always wanted to join our Support or Forum Team? We are looking for enthusiastic moderators!
    Take a look at our recruitment page for more information and how you can apply:
    Apply
  • Forum Contests

Won't you join us for out latest contest?
    You can check out the newest one here.

Tech Tree Analysis

DeletedUser

Disclaimer: This will probably need a few updates, and will be a crude analysis of numbers. This analysis is also biased by my opinion.

Table of Goods Required:
foegoods.png
Table of Forge points, Gold and Supplies
foestuff.png
In this last table, "essential" refers to the notion of fast tracking to the end without getting all of the technology.

Priority Teching
An introductory blurb:
The obvious question arises: If I am a certain type of player, can I favor certain technologies over others in order to further my playing style? The frank answer to this question is NO. If you have any intention of furthering your campaign or even making it to the middle ages, you have to make detours and sacrifices in terms of technology in every direction.

With that said, you can function with a certain priority in getting certain technologies as quickly as possible within the various paths that can be taken. An obvious example here would be, when you are done the tutorial, you can either go directly for the Slingshots technology, or you could fast track into goods like with the Stonework and Woodwork technologies.

The Ultimate purpose of this section will be to analyze various priorities in different ages to see which ones are more feasible, and when they stop becoming feasible and start becoming simply getting everything. Nothing may come of this; the game may be designed in a way that all technologies are spread in such a fashion that no one path is favorable. Maybe certain priorities shall prove to be more effective

Military
militaryb.png

This table is exclusively for the Bronze age. The last row, "Effective?" will always operate on the values of Y and N, that is, of Yes and No. In this case, the fact that the FPs literally double when you jump from Horseback Riding to Phalanx means you can no longer effectively "rush" military units. Hence th change from Y to N for that transition. You also don't need phalanx immensely until the latter half of the Iron Age provinces, for the campaign.

Let me know how you guys feel about my latest additions and whether or not you feel it's useful/ how you feel it might become more useful. Keep in mind that I'm in the preliminary phases of this analysis!

I will be adding more in terms of in depth analysis regarding supply intensive routes, military intensive routes, expansions in general, etc. This will come with time.

-O

Last edited by a moderator:

Surge

Brigadier-General
Handy. Good to note how much of Dye and Marble I need before entirely recycling my Masons for other buildings. Good job on that, I'd give a plus.

Also, I have to mention that 2697 Hours for all Forge Points on every technology is, in my opinion, invalid. People can get stumped trying to obtain the resources for the next research. Round it in a realistic way, perhaps 2,700 - 3,000 Hours for all tech researched?

Good use of Excel. Just remind yourself the next time you make screenies that you select a cell outside your intentional zone. I like seeing a full, clean table without any cell being selected, like bottom right on the second screenie.

DeletedUser

In iron age you wrote 3 wine required but the chain of command (tech to create legionnaires) requires 50 by itself alone.

DeletedUser

In iron age you wrote 3 wine required but the chain of command (tech to create legionnaires) requires 50 by itself alone.
Thank you for pointing this out, I actually have everything up shifted by one cell as of wine, with wine missing. It should read as 68. I've resolved this issue and posted a new image, I've also tried to keep the black block (selected cell) out of the image - you can, however, still see a smidgen of it in the corner.
image is blocked
Which image is blocked? I have them uploaded on image shack, which is a US website. Perhaps there's a porting issue between your country and the website?

DeletedUser

Also, I have to mention that 2697 Hours for all Forge Points on every technology is, in my opinion, invalid. People can get stumped trying to obtain the resources for the next research. Round it in a realistic way, perhaps 2,700 - 3,000 Hours for all tech researched?

Thank you for your comments. I can also appreciate the practical suggestion you've made here in terms of hours it'll take a person to effectively use their forge points. I think a fair assumption could scale itself up to even 3200 hours! I guess I'll add this in as the table expands, using the 2697 as the perfect minimum. I was actually more interested in the weeks and months value for that section - to see how much time the makers intentionally wanted you to spend playing the game.

DeletedUser65

great bit of work their OP

cant see the table :(
what browser are u using, have you tried using a differant one?? maybe if ooidal still has the url's to the pictures he could post a link aswell

DeletedUser

google chrome and even in mozilla

@Thread starter can you give me a link of the tables :D

DeletedUser1081

thanks very much for these useful tables.
is there already a thread somewhere about which technologies are not essential?
or does that become obvious as one works one's way along?

Surge

Brigadier-General
Most, if not all, technologies are essential. The goods buildings are needed to produce goods to research future techs. The expansions are needed to fit more houses and other buildings.

DeletedUser1081

>> Most, if not all, technologies are essential. <<

thanks - so when the tables above indicate a lower number of "essential FPs" than "total FPs", that's ... not quite accurate? a matter of opinion? ... ?
if it's a matter of opinion it would still be interesting to know which ones advanced players consider non-essential".

Surge

Brigadier-General
Gunpowder is useless. Cannons suck, as seen through other long ranged units. Multistory houses are also useless, they don't provide benefits comparable to premium houses, even though these houses are premium in itself.

DeletedUser

yah same problem as MiraJane here, when i clicked the spoiler buttons, all it shows is a frog in an ice with something like "domain unregistered"...