• Dear forum reader,
    To actively participate in our forum discussions or to start your own threads, in addition to your game account, you need a forum account. You can
    REGISTER HERE!
    Please ensure a translation into English is provided if your post is not in English and to respect your fellow players when posting.
  • We are looking for you!
    Always wanted to join our Support or Forum Team? We are looking for enthusiastic moderators!
    Take a look at our recruitment page for more information and how you can apply:
    Apply
  • Forum Contests

Won't you join us for out latest contest?
    You can check out the newest one here.

New Army Management Prototype

DeletedUser2989

The link given by Rosletyne is in fact interactive, but whether the codebase is shared or not, I do not see a reason why such a valuable and hugely necessary addition would be considerably complex to incorporate. We are talking, on the most fundamental scale, simply grouping units together by health.. we aren't talking about anything on the scale that perhaps GvG took to program. Heck, I imagine these special events are more complicated to program than the suggestion under discussion here.

It would be nice if someone from FoE could comment on whether this is being seriously looked in to, or at the very least, acknowledge it as a consideration.

While the link is interactive it's still an isolated component. For example the attached troops that we see in it aren't actually attached to anything and the defending troops button doesn't work like it does in the game. It's good work and a very effective visual, however it'd still need work to actually incorporate it into the coding behind units as they currently exist.

Now I'm not saying "Inno won't consider it because it's work" but changing the army management in this way would take a lot of time (Starzaan already mentioned it'd need the coding behind units to be changed up). This means we most likely aren't going to see such a change for a while unless Inno decides to push other things back. It'd be a handy thing to improve troop management but is probably a more time consuming task than some would think (very hard to judge these things without knowing the actual code).

Hopefully we can get some feedback via Starzaan early in this new year about if they will consider the suggested changes here. If not there is at least 1 other suggestion in the ideas section that might help. One thing for sure is that army management could do with something more to make it better for managing large numbers of troops.

DeletedUser5180

One thing for sure is that army management could do with something more to make it better for managing large numbers of troops.

as it stood before, the army management needed improvement.....now that the suggestion that the game cannot cope with over 2000 units then it kinda becomes urgent when players have built up Alcatraz to such high levels specifically for that purpose.

INNO really need to start looking further down the line at whatever changes they make now will affect the game a few months later

DeletedUser14782

Wonder how many people would go for bug fixing, balancing, and general improvements instead of new content

Nilopertiso

Corporal
INNO really need to start looking further down the line at whatever changes they make now will affect the game a few months later

I think this is a valid point when the issues being experienced are due to functionality being added along the way, but little foresight given as to the impact it'd have further down the line. I am not for a minute saying we need to roll back additional features that have been added, but perhaps matters like this being discussed could have been envisaged and resolved sooner than waiting until it becomes a significant issue.

Wonder how many people would go for bug fixing, balancing, and general improvements instead of new content

Given that this proposal falls into what you describe as a "general improvement" (though i'd say it's somewhat more than "general"), I am not sure of the point you're making?

DeletedUser14782

Just saying that it may be better for INNO to improve what they have instead of bugging up the game more with new content

DeletedUser14782

Yeah, but why not update existing feature instead of bringing many new ones?

DeletedUser13082

First time on forums in a long while and first post I come across is this. Excellent work Rosletyne. This is something that could have, and should have, been done a very long time ago, back before the majority of the player base gave up on the game all together.

I agree with some other posts, the coding wouldn't be as simple as this and there would be certain aspects in-game that would make it more difficult, but for an update so badly needed, and a design as brilliant as this, would it not be worth the time and effort to put this into action and see a few good feedback posts for a change? This game receives constant swarms of new, pointless, terrible content month after month with bugs left unfixed and problems left unsolved. These are the things that the developers should be working on now. Stop pushing new stuff and fix/improve what is already here. Once everything is up to a level that makes players happy, then push your new stuff out. Once the new stuff comes, listen to the feedback, make any changes that are reasonable and will work, then move to something new again.

Until seeing this post I didn't even know of the new cap, don't know much about any of the updates now to be honest. That being said, given the time I've been close to inactive, logging once a day to do collections and reset, nothing else, I'm pretty sure I must have more than 2,000 units by now, and I'm yet to have any major issues. The loading of the army management screen is a little laggy, but following the initial load it works fine and also loads normally after being opened once previously during the same log-in session. So if there is, or was, some major problem then somehow it didn't affect me. Also I'm assuming that if a player has more than 2,000 units prior to the update then units will be lost to reduce the amount down to the cap level, is that correct?

Again, excellent work by Rosletyne, maybe Inno should think about hiring some new developers, preferably not money oriented like they have currently. Somebody like Rosletyne on the dev team might actually mean some work gets done for a change.

Till next time :)

DeletedUser5180

First time on forums in a long while and first post I come across is this. Excellent work Rosletyne. This is something that could have, and should have, been done a very long time ago, back before the majority of the player base gave up on the game all together.

I agree with some other posts, the coding wouldn't be as simple as this and there would be certain aspects in-game that would make it more difficult, but for an update so badly needed, and a design as brilliant as this, would it not be worth the time and effort to put this into action and see a few good feedback posts for a change? This game receives constant swarms of new, pointless, terrible content month after month with bugs left unfixed and problems left unsolved. These are the things that the developers should be working on now. Stop pushing new stuff and fix/improve what is already here. Once everything is up to a level that makes players happy, then push your new stuff out. Once the new stuff comes, listen to the feedback, make any changes that are reasonable and will work, then move to something new again.

Until seeing this post I didn't even know of the new cap, don't know much about any of the updates now to be honest. That being said, given the time I've been close to inactive, logging once a day to do collections and reset, nothing else, I'm pretty sure I must have more than 2,000 units by now, and I'm yet to have any major issues. The loading of the army management screen is a little laggy, but following the initial load it works fine and also loads normally after being opened once previously during the same log-in session. So if there is, or was, some major problem then somehow it didn't affect me. Also I'm assuming that if a player has more than 2,000 units prior to the update then units will be lost to reduce the amount down to the cap level, is that correct?

Again, excellent work by Rosletyne, maybe Inno should think about hiring some new developers, preferably not money oriented like they have currently. Somebody like Rosletyne on the dev team might actually mean some work gets done for a change.

Till next time :)

Hi Death, welcome back, i've noticed your absence here as i always read your posts with great enthusiasm, one of the posters who rather than just moan, have put forward constructive discussion and good ideas to take the game forward

hope your next post is not such a long time coming as this one mate :)

DeletedUser13082

Hi Death, welcome back, i've noticed your absence here as i always read your posts with great enthusiasm, one of the posters who rather than just moan, have put forward constructive discussion and good ideas to take the game forward

hope your next post is not such a long time coming as this one mate :)

Hi Akkers :) hope all is well. I still drop in now and again to see what's new, not playing or posting much any more though, save all that for PM anyway to keep topic here or the mods will be angry at me again :p lol. PM me if you want to chat mate, I'll spot it sooner or later if you do lol.

Any idea about the question I mentioned in my earlier post? What happens to my excess units? Been saving units for months since I stopped playing so that if I decide to start again I'll have plenty of units to make a good go of it and build my rank back up (dropped to 50th in E world now). Bit annoying that the main reason I carried on logging in was to gather units and now I'm going to lose a lot of them :/. Standard Inno bait and switch again if you ask me. Can boost alcatraz to massive levels and gain huge amounts of units each day only to see them implement a cap rather than using the feedback and ideas put forward by players. Some things will never change I guess haha.

Keep in touch mate, I'm always lurking around in the background somewhere waiting for an opportunity to strike with another rant lol.

Happy new year all :D

EDIT: Where can I find the discussion/announcement for the update that includes the cap, I can't see it anywhere :S. Was it just a hotfix?

Last edited by a moderator:

Andrew420

Major
Important Update:

Due to the negative feedback concerning the unit cap, this part of the update is due to be removed from the game tomorrow. A temporary solution will be implemented until January to prevent any issues of players being unable to log in (this will involve increasing the memory available and will not impact on gameplay). A cleaner and more satisfactory permanent solution will be implemented in the new year, which should hopefully satisfy everyone :).

this is the updated announcement

DeletedUser653

hi death
it was 1.41 update
http://forum.en.forgeofempires.com/showthread.php?28192-Update-to-1-41&highlight=2000

Next week can we please have some feedback on army management from FOE, Rosletyne's post is not the debate, his post just shows that a solution could be possible, since we have been asking for this for over a year now and we have never had any real feedback from FOE, now is the time for an official announcement about FOEs intentions regarding Army Management. Thankyou

DeletedUser13082

Thanks all, Guess I was a bit late jumping into this topic then as it's already been pulled from the update lol.

As HRC said, would be nice to have some additional information and personally I'd like to see Rosletyne's army management system get implemented. Even if a few small changes are needed to what has been provided in the OP here, it would be a far better system than what we currently have. It gives players the ability to see how many units they have of each type, it filters units via health and it also gets rid of the annoying shuffle when selecting units. All of which are things that have been suggested multiple times in the past. Given that change is now needed for the army management rather than just wanted by players, I see no reason why the effort shouldn't be made to fix all issues with the system in one update rather than dragging it out any longer.