• Dear forum reader,
    To actively participate in our forum discussions or to start your own threads, in addition to your game account, you need a forum account. You can
    REGISTER HERE!
    Please ensure a translation into English is provided if your post is not in English and to respect your fellow players when posting.
  • We are looking for you!
    Always wanted to join our Support or Forum Team? We are looking for enthusiastic moderators!
    Take a look at our recruitment page for more information and how you can apply:
    Apply
  • Forum Contests

Won't you join us for out latest contest?
    You can check out the newest one here.

Event Winter Event 2018

Emberguard

Legend
How about just one event giving just one expansion as a reward? It would be a great surprise for us.
It would. And as a player if I'm only thinking of myself I'd love to have additional expansions. However that would then raise a problem: you'd be giving a significant advantage to those who complete the event. If it never comes round again then there's no way to remedy this. If it were a event building there'd be no problem. You only have so much space and can simply use a different event building that has a similar or same function. But the more expansions are event exclusive the more you're locking out players from every being able to receive that same benefit - or widening the gap between players that just started and those who have been playing for years in a way that can't be obtained simply from playing the same amount of time unless it's a regular occurrence.

So the only way around that is if the game checks if you've received an event expansion before and only provides a prize if you haven't won that prize in a previous event. But would you really want to have events where you only get a prize if you've not received the prize in a previous event?

DeletedUser115047

I was so happy about last event, where we had all the options in quests and all. But this time its exactly otherwise.
Acquire sectors and scout provinces? Really?
Forcing people to advance on map which may be for lot of us to advance in age too.

Some pleople DO NOT WANT TO ADVANCE in age. Why the hell do you keep punishing them for their playstyle?!

To be fair, acquire is fight OR negotiate
Thats a joke right? It must be.
It forces u to push map/ age up either way.

And 12 lvls of grand prize bulding? I dont know....Its great building dont get me wrong but one year from now on we will end up with 30 lvl buildings and half of it will pretty much be available only with diamods.

Thomas Covenent

Lieutenant-General
So there's a grand total of 1475 stars to be won from the quest line + daily log-ins.
Now, assuming Inno is generous and gives us say, 30 stars to start with, that's 1500 stars = 150 matches.

Each tree needs 20 candles to lit, with each match lighting between 1-3 each.

You'll get 3 upgrade kits from finishing the entire quest line, thus leaving 8 needing to be acquired through lighting up trees for the grand prizes.
To get all 8 additional upgrades, requires lighting up 15 trees x20 candles = 300 total candles.

Thus, without diamonds, and without winning any additional stars through things like the Shuffle tile, etc..., you'll have to average exactly 2 candles per match to win a full Lv12 building! o_O
So basically, outside of the 'RNG blessed', most people will be forced to spend diamonds if one wants a fully maxed out Lv12 building.

So much for the Xmas spirit Inno...
Between likely ending up at least 1-2 upgrades short, even *if* one completes the entire quest line + daily log-ins, AND, all the gakking forced C-map progress, this event a steaming pile of poo-smothered coal. :( :( :(

DeletedUser96901

how big are the chances that you don't win stars when opening 150 presents ?

that will be very hard
you aren't allowed to open too much at one day or you sure win stars

so best strategy to avoid winning any stars would be opening 5 presents a day

rjs66

Lieutenant
would like some stuff for free ,when all that is required to get through the quest line is a bit of forward planning (knowing what inno always put into questlines), a bit of luck and a little time and effort ?

or

do you wish to whine about not getting the very best of the stuff in a free to play game without putting in any effort ?

you chose

DeletedUser96901

the thing I would hate is to win more than 11 upgrade kits
then they are useless in my inventory

I still have one useless Tholos upgrade
and with my bad luck in the next Forge Bowl there will be a complete new 15 level building

if I could chose between
a) winning 10 kits and then spend a few diamonds and
b) winning 12 kits
I would definitely chose a)

DeletedUser113901

So there's a grand total of 1475 stars to be won from the quest line + daily log-ins.
Now, assuming Inno is generous and gives us say, 30 stars to start with, that's 1500 stars = 150 matches.

Each tree needs 20 candles to lit, with each match lighting between 1-3 each.

You'll get 3 upgrade kits from finishing the entire quest line, thus leaving 8 needing to be acquired through lighting up trees for the grand prizes.
To get all 8 additional upgrades, requires lighting up 15 trees x20 candles = 300 total candles.

Thus, without diamonds, and without winning any additional stars through things like the Shuffle tile, etc..., you'll have to average exactly 2 candles per match to win a full Lv12 building! o_O
So basically, outside of the 'RNG blessed', most people will be forced to spend diamonds if one wants a fully maxed out Lv12 building.

So much for the Xmas spirit Inno...
Between likely ending up at least 1-2 upgrades short, even *if* one completes the entire quest line + daily log-ins, AND, all the gakking forced C-map progress, this event a steaming pile of poo-smothered coal. :( :( :(
But there are shuffle, 14 stars and show 2 presents that give extra stars while still giving a match. So your math is wrong.

DeletedUser96901

But there are shuffle, 14 stars and show 2 presents that give extra stars while still giving a match. So your math is wrong.
he will only open 5 presents a day and not win any of those :lol:

Munzekonza

Master Corporal
It would. And as a player if I'm only thinking of myself I'd love to have additional expansions. However that would then raise a problem: you'd be giving a significant advantage to those who complete the event. If it never comes round again then there's no way to remedy this. If it were a event building there'd be no problem. You only have so much space and can simply use a different event building that has a similar or same function. But the more expansions are event exclusive the more you're locking out players from every being able to receive that same benefit - or widening the gap between players that just started and those who have been playing for years in a way that can't be obtained simply from playing the same amount of time unless it's a regular occurrence.

So the only way around that is if the game checks if you've received an event expansion before and only provides a prize if you haven't won that prize in a previous event. But would you really want to have events where you only get a prize if you've not received the prize in a previous event?

That's just bunch of excuses for not giving any expansion as an event reward. If you use all event buildings and some of GBs you don't need any od regular buildings to get FPs, goods, etc. So those who started late or haven't won any of event buildings are already disadvantaged. Gap between players is already wide enough that many of newcomers are leaving the game after short period of playing. I have lots of those in my own Guild.

Last edited:

Thomas Covenent

Lieutenant-General
I did say that without winning ANY additional stars, you'd have to average 2 candles per match...
And yes, while somewhat unlikely, it *IS* possible to win 0 additional stars, especially the way the average player plays, which is to spend a few stars every day/every other day.

Obviously if you horde everything to only 2 or 3 days for specific dailies, it changes things up.
It's still not a guarantee however, as you can still end up being RNG-screwed on lighting the candles and get below average number of 2 or 3 candle results!!

Overall, events are "good" when:
a) If c-map progress and/or forced research are going to be enforced, then even slightly below average rolls should still yield 1 fully upgraded prize.
b) If there are alternatives to ALL c-map/research quests, then luck & strategic star/florens/lantern/etc... spending should play more of a factor into whether or not one attains a fully leveled prize.

Events like the Forge Bowl, Carnival, Soccer, etc... were great because if you played smart, only extremely awful luck meant you'd wind up short of the fully leveled prize.
This Winter event though is gak because the cost for many players is in no way worth the reward, especially when luck is going to be a big factor.

Emberguard

Legend
[...]If you use all event buildings and some of GBs you don't need any od regular buildings to get FPs, goods, etc. So those who started late or haven't won any of event buildings are already disadvantaged. [...]
We'll have to agree to disagree on that one. If you're interesting in reading why I disagree, I've put it in the spoiler

The gap between new and established players is caused mainly through the ever expanding tech tree. Any player is able to catch up reasonably with the top players just by playing. As long as we keep getting events then event buildings don't widen the gap, they lessen it. Reason being those on the top don't have the space to use every event they get. The game fundamentally has a hard limit on the max amount of events in your city enforced by the amount of space you have.

Otherwise by your logic anyone in Bronze is disadvantaged compared to a Virtual Age player that never touched events because they built up their resources.

Once you add additional expansions that can't be obtained ever again into the mix this is no longer true. No amount of playing will allow you to catch up to those before you unless those top players stop playing if expansions are ever added as an event prize. Because then you'd be handing those players additional space that no one after will ever have which means an additional amount of events

If players are leaving because they look at another players city and decide they can't compete then there's not a lot that can be done to change that.

Last edited:

DeletedUser113966

Sounds like fun but I do have a gripe...for those of us who live on pensions and other small means of income we can't afford to buy diamonds! Is there any other way? And finally, the gripe that I have is this, the past few events have offered the opportunity of winning diamonds for those who play on instagram...what about those who don't have a cell phone? I have a land line critical for me...I have brain tumours and I was told that I shouldn't use that mode of communication and plus if there was a disaster then cell phones would not work...in my neck of the woods the "big one" earthquake is expected anytime really. So, in that event or fires, or what ever, cell phone towers would be destroyed...it is important for those who are extremely ill that they have an analogue phone hence the land line. Anyway, regardless of the health issue cell phones are expensive to operate and again those of us who live on limited incomes can't afford them. So, the opportunity to win then therefore is taken away from us...is there anything else that you could offer us rather than the instagram contest? Thank you for this great game of strategy...it helps take my mind off of things and into something great like building my city, and beautifying it as well...I'm recommending it to all of my friends and such, thanks again and Merry Christmas to you all

Emberguard

Legend
Sounds like fun but I do have a gripe...for those of us who live on pensions and other small means of income we can't afford to buy diamonds! Is there any other way?
Yes!

(1) Complete the questline. You should be able to either complete or get very close to completing the event building for free
(2) The What Time Is It? Competition is run weekly. During events the prize is event currency.
(3) Build up your attack GBs so you can get further in the Guild Expedition. Lvls 3 and 4 are where the main diamond income from GE are available

stevejohnson

Private
right place for this ? I don't know Watchfire upgrade what a great idea but I only have 2, I do however have 34 ritual flames how about giving them a similar upgrade option

DeletedUser108359

Personally i think this event is one of the best iv done and the prizes are great, especially the sleigh builder, its basically a 2x3 version of the Scientist Lab.:D
The spire is fantastic ( although im not keen on the color )
It is possible to get to level 12, in fact its fairly easy, on Beta iv got mine on 12 plus iv got a 2nd which is already on 3 with a week still to go and at least 3 more upgrades available. and i only bought 1star pack which gave me 100 stars extra and i used diamonds id collected in the game and saved up.
I'm a single father so cant afford to buy diamonds but if you have a bit of luck here and there and use your diamonds wisely or save them up for events such as this you CAN get some of the things you want.
I'v been counting my matches vs candles on Beta and over the event it does work out at an average of about 2 candles per match.
Overall iv enjoyed doing it on beta and am looking forward to it here.
Now just change the daily quests system to make the rewards more even and DUMP the Palm trees PLEASE, and i will be a happy camper.

Last edited by a moderator:

Agent327

Overlord
Personally i think this event is one of the best iv done and the prizes are great, especially the sleigh builder, its basically a 2x3 version of the Scientist Lab.:D

Except that it doesn't give fp's, but otherwise spot on.

The spire is fantastic ( although im not keen on the color )
It is possible to get to level 12, in fact its fairly easy, on Beta iv got mine on 12 plus iv got a 2nd which is already on 3 with a week still to go and at least 3 more upgrades available. and i only bought 1 diamond pack which gave me 100 stars extra and i used diamonds id collected in the game and saved up.

So you need diamonds.

I'm a single father so cant afford to buy diamonds

And yet you did.