• Dear forum reader,
    To actively participate in our forum discussions or to start your own threads, in addition to your game account, you need a forum account. You can
    REGISTER HERE!
    Please ensure a translation into English is provided if your post is not in English and to respect your fellow players when posting.
  • We are looking for you!
    Always wanted to join our Support or Forum Team? We are looking for enthusiastic moderators!
    Take a look at our recruitment page for more information and how you can apply:
    Apply
  • Forum Contests

Won't you join us for out latest contest?
    You can check out the newest one here.

Winning a Friend Invite on the GE

DeletedUser110179

Winning a friend invite on the GE (maybe lvl 3) would be a nice way to update the friends list on a lifelong basis.

It seems deplorable that you have to delete 60 or more players just to include one new friend (if you have the 140 max). Winning a "friend invite" would allow you to be pro-active in choosing your friends ... rather than merely responding to incoming requests.

I would rather keep the small players who need a little help from their friends ♫

It's all good
Bridgeman55

DeletedUser110195

When you say winning a friend invite, do you mean the game increases the cap of how many you can personally invite if you get it?

DeletedUser110179

Sure ... but still capped at 140 in total.

The way I understand it ... your personal invites end at 80 friends (even if you only invite 10 and accept 70 incoming requests).
Alternatively, many of your original invited friends may have left your friends list ... thus reducing the original friend total (but your personal invites are still blocked by the 80 friends barrier).

Winning a friend invite will effectively increase the proportion of personally chosen friends (between 80 and 140).

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser110195

Eh....I can see a good idea here but that would be irrelevant...unless my personal experience has been an exception, I imagine most people will be far ahead of 80 friends by the time they can really start doing GE on any level and probably close to 140 by the time they can do level 3 with any semblance of ease. My guild recently put it's toes in the level 3 pool, and it hurt a lot. I got wrecked hard and I'm well on my way to friend cap.

Making this a GE reward would be ultimately futile unless it also expands the friend cap past 140 and allows you to invite someone regardless of how many friends you have.

DeletedUser110179

The idea isn't so much to increase the number of friends but to allow you to send invites when vacancies do occur.
A side effect may well be to boost GE participation and increase motivation to reach level 3 (either by negotiation or battle).

New players wouldn't need friend invites ... so winning invites at level 1 would be somewhat futile.
That said, I started playing FoE in Nov and reached level 3 in my first attempt (although I haven't conquered #48 yet).

140 active friends is more than sufficient ... but you probably have a number of friends who don't aid on a daily or regular basis ... and could be weeded out in favor of "good" friends.

DeletedUser110195

The idea isn't so much to increase the number of friends but to allow you to send invites when vacancies do occur.
A side effect may well be to boost GE participation and increase motivation to reach level 3 (either by negotiation or battle).

New players wouldn't need friend invites ... so winning invites at level 1 would be somewhat futile.
That said, I started playing FoE in Nov and reached level 3 in my first attempt (although I haven't conquered #48 yet).

140 active friends is more than sufficient ... but you probably have a number of friends who don't aid on a daily or regular basis ... and could be weeded out in favor of "good" friends.
I'm at 105 friends right now, I get more silver already than I can use so I'm not at all concerned about a few periodic inactives. My concern isn't someone aiding ME, but rather that I have someone I can aid. Getting double supplies, or double coins on one building means almost nothing to me, what I want are blueprints and you get those from a person whether they aid you or not and realistically, the silver lost from a handful of inactives is near completely irrelevant with how few worthwhile things there are to spend it on.

About you and GE...do you negotiate, or have a lot of attack bonuses? I'm only 24% A/D when attacking and 3 messed me up, wiped out 15 rogues and left me having to negotiate half of it.

DeletedUser108379

+1

Would be very usefull indeed.

@Augustavian : That has nothing to do with wanting to have more friends. In my main world I had almost 140 reliable and active friends. But after leaving my old guild I had a very big problem. The player I did exchange most of my FP with had been in the same guild, and we did not have each other on the FL. Neither of us was able to sent an invite, so we had either to stop exchanging FP and both looking for someone else to change FP with. Or one of us had to kick more than 60 friends just for sending 1 single invite. Well, I did kick, and have now the problem that getting again 60 reliable friends will take much time. I am using the tavern silver to buy the extra attack bonus, which means I need 8500 coins every day, which was no problem before but now is, it just don*t happen.

Do win the possibility to invite a friend, regardless of the 80 limit, just once a month would be very helpfull.

DeletedUser110179

@ Augustavian ... Mmmm troubling indeed.

When I started FoE, I ran through every join guild for about a month ... aiding 100's of people daily (perhaps 1000 sometimes). This helped to build up a huge stockpile of bluprints. I also invited about 20 Arctic Future players to be friends which helped with bps (and goods) enormously, since a 1 fp investment on their Great Buildings could return 3 bps in 5th spot on occasions.

The tavern silver is critical for the GE since you can boost your A/D bonus by 30% for 24 hours. My A/D is 27/21% but I won the Checkmate Square in the Einstein historical event (which gives me a 6% att boost in HMA). I also won 5 Rogue Hideouts in the Winter event which help immeasurably in attack and defense.
I don't attack the neighbors but getting 1st place on the PvP Tower certainly does help to discourage would-be attackers, raiders and thieves. Attack is the best form of defense.

I play on G-server and will be hosting a Seven at One Blow party in the mud. A celebration of mud ... 7 wonders or great buildings in the mud all at one time. Perhaps the real obstacle to your progress isn't the 140 friends cap ... but a little leading, organizing, planning and control of the people in your city.

It's all good

To win the possibility to invite a friend, regardless of the 80 limit, just once a month would be very helpfull.

My thoughts exactly ... so true (30% chance is about right) !

DeletedUser110195

+1

Would be very usefull indeed.

@Augustavian : That has nothing to do with wanting to have more friends. In my main world I had almost 140 reliable and active friends. But after leaving my old guild I had a very big problem. The player I did exchange most of my FP with had been in the same guild, and we did not have each other on the FL. Neither of us was able to sent an invite, so we had either to stop exchanging FP and both looking for someone else to change FP with. Or one of us had to kick more than 60 friends just for sending 1 single invite. Well, I did kick, and have now the problem that getting again 60 reliable friends will take much time. I am using the tavern silver to buy the extra attack bonus, which means I need 8500 coins every day, which was no problem before but now is, it just don*t happen.

Do win the possibility to invite a friend, regardless of the 80 limit, just once a month would be very helpfull.
I spose that could be useful, it would have to be an item you could store up rather than an intangible extra invite. My concern was making this a GE reward, what do you do when you can't use it but get one anyway, it becomes a wasted reward worth even less than extra attempts.

To be honest, I think you should be able to contribute to GBs you have forge points on, you just won't be able to contribute to that persons GBs again until they're on your FL, in your guild or, unlikely, end up in your neighborhood.

DeletedUser108379

To be honest, I think you should be able to contribute to GBs you have forge points on, you just won't be able to contribute to that persons GBs again until they're on your FL, in your guild or, unlikely, end up in your neighborhood.

Yes, you are able to contribute in the level you have already contributed to. But if you have someone you exchange regularly large sums, that is not really the point. You must be able to contribute to a new level also.

And of course the friends invite must be something, that can be stored, like the boost you can win in the springs event, or the upgrade kit.

DeletedUser110131

+1
A very good idea!

I assume one of the reasons for the 80 invite cap is to motivate established players to accept invites from new players, which will ensure that they become interlinked with the game world. That shouldn't be significantly affected by allowing established players an average of one or two invites per month. The cost will mostly be to bad friends, who will have a slightly higher risk of getting kicked off friends lists. That's not a bad thing; it will motivate greater activity. Other than this, I can't see any potentially unbalancing effect that this might have on the game.

The positive effect will be to allow established players to occasionally add other established players on their lists. That's useful for keeping contact with old guild mates and neighbors, cooperating with established players met through other social functions (e.g. chat, DM, forum), creating better contact between guilds, improving trade, and that's just what a could think of in a hurry. The effect will be limited, and require both time and effort to become particularly significant; it's just the thing for a social strategy game.

Those who dismiss the importance of silver and polivation are, quite simply, wrong. The limit to how much silver you can use far exceeds the limit to how much silver you can make, even with nothing but daily visitors on your list. With polivation, it's less about the number, and more about the timing. A "dry spell" of some hours can be a problem. This is a long term strategy game; small improvements, insignificant in the short term, will add up and become significant over time. That something "means little" doesn't mean that it's not important. A little is enough.

Edit: Fixed 2 typos

DeletedUser110179

I didn't realize that this was such a critically bad idea for the game.

I guess the rationale behind the "thumbs down" is:
1) Seriously unbalances the game
2) The cost to drop other aspects of the game out-way the benefits of this implementation
3) The developers want players to choose their friends wisely from the get-go.

Perhaps the idea could be modified to win friend requests that fall within the 80 original friend requests only.
ie Friend invites from the original 80 invites could be recycled to maintain the 80 quota of personally invited friends.
That would keep 60 spots always available to incoming player requests ... leaving it up to you to only accept or reject.

It's all good
Bridgeman55

PS
I just finished level 3 and 4 of the GE for the first time (Two firsts at one blow) ♪
The Sacred Sky Watch is much beloved by the population of Moretopia ♬

DeletedUser108379

Perhaps the idea could be modified to win friend requests that fall within the 80 original friend requests only.
ie Friend invites from the original 80 invites could be recycled to maintain the 80 quota of personally invited friends.
That would keep 60 spots always available to incoming player requests ... leaving it up to you to only accept or reject.

There is no quota of invites. There is just the limit, that after you have 80 friends you cannot sent an invite anymore. That also applies if you never had sent an invite before but only accepted.

DeletedUser110195

There is no quota of invites. There is just the limit, that after you have 80 friends you cannot sent an invite anymore. That also applies if you never had sent an invite before but only accepted.
That's something that should be changed, you should get 80 outward invites, regardless of how many friends you have.

DeletedUser110179

There is no quota on invites. There is just the limit, that after you have 80 friends you cannot send an invite anymore. That also applies if you never had sent an invite before but only accepted.
Hmm ... interesting ♠

That's something that should be changed, you should get 80 outward invites, regardless of how many friends you have.
Quite right ... good thinking ♣

DeletedUser

Winning a friend invite on the GE (maybe lvl 3) would be a nice way to update the friends list on a lifelong basis.

It seems deplorable that you have to delete 60 or more players just to include one new friend (if you have the 140 max). Winning a "friend invite" would allow you to be pro-active in choosing your friends ... rather than merely responding to incoming requests.

I would rather keep the small players who need a little help from their friends ♫

It's all good
Bridgeman55
+1