• Dear forum reader,
    To actively participate in our forum discussions or to start your own threads, in addition to your game account, you need a forum account. You can
    REGISTER HERE!
    Please ensure a translation into English is provided if your post is not in English and to respect your fellow players when posting.
  • We are looking for you!
    Always wanted to join our Support or Forum Team? We are looking for enthusiastic moderators!
    Take a look at our recruitment page for more information and how you can apply:
    Apply
  • Forum Contests

Won't you join us for out latest contest?
    You can check out the newest one here.

Will Great Buildings like Cathedral of Aachen, Cape Canaveral, and Innovation Tower become obsolete in the near future?

Of course GBs like Arc won't but I want to ask the community if they also agree/disagree with me that with the inflationary rate of the event buildings if buildings providing fps and population will become not worth it to level. Also attack and defense boost of special buildings are becoming better and better.

Emberguard

Legend
To *some* extent you could make an argument for every Great Building including The Arc already being "obsolete" depending on what exactly you're trying to achieve, and what methods or playstyles you're using. A player trying to rush the techtree wouldn't have much need for The Arc unless they intend to stick around longterm. Arc certainly has the highest likelyhood of sticking around as a "must have" because it's a major powerhouse for raising up Great Buildings in general, but that's on the assumption we'll still want to keep building Siege Camps and additional Great Buildings.

Main thing is you're going to need a dumping ground for excess Forge Points no matter what. You don't need more than one outlet for those Forge Points, but it's more fun to have multiple Great Buildings to play with. Also Events scale with age. So by the time you reach high enough in the Ages for the ZAC trio to be "obsolete", you've likely already raised them to a higher level than what the Events give anyway

Last edited:

numbrcrunchr

Master Corporal
I think players are more likely to level up their GBs that help with their fighting over those that provide fps (without aiding fighting)

Ariana Erosaire

Chief Warrant Officer
Of course GBs like Arc won't but I want to ask the community if they also agree/disagree with me that with the inflationary rate of the event buildings if buildings providing fps and population will become not worth it to level. Also attack and defense boost of special buildings are becoming better and better.
Yes. Innovation tower is already obsolete, I deleted mine earlier this year and it was level 70 paying out about 45 fps, giving me useless population that I already have more than I want, and taking up too much space. That FP loss was small compared to the event buildings with blue galaxy doubling them, or even just on their own a couple of event buildings pay out the same as that level 70 GB that took me years - plus the event buildings give a bunch of other resources that the GB was not, most importantly attack and defense boosts. A whole lot of GB's have been aged out of the game very quickly.

There is no reason now to build Inno Tower in the first place, or keep it. Most people have hundreds of thousands of surplus population from event buildings (I have 800K people sitting idle), and that was the original thing that made the Inno Tower good back in the day, it was a huge space saver on houses. We don't use houses any more, or much of anything from the standard build menu (as I have lamented in another recent post, a lot of things have been lost in the game that used to be part of the charm and/or strategy of how to balance between goods, troops, FPS, and happiness in each era.)

Cape Canaveral is not obsolete yet but it's getting there fast. I have not deleted it, lucky it's only 4X5 and relatively small, that is saving it for now, but maybe not for much longer. Pretty soon anything that does not give attack/defense boost or help with fighting (AO and Kraken) is going to be out of most cities, excepting things like Himeji, Space Carrier, Blue Galaxy, Chateau and Arc which are support GB's that double other actions or have big payouts associated with them. Even a "poor" day in GBG nets me 200-400 FPS, it makes the payout from Cape very weak - and that's space I could use to put an event building that gets me more boosts plus all the other things I need rather than "just" Forge Points. I recycled all my shrine of knowledge level 2s last year, and have started doing the same with carousels, checkmate squares and royal marble gateways because even those are going obsolete compared to new event buildings.

I agree with @Emberguard that the holy trinity of Zeus, Aachen, CDM are still safe to remain relevant for a long time, but the list of "essential" GB's is getting smaller and smaller. You could make an argument that if you don't GvG on a PC, you don't really need Alcatraz any more. To play GE and GBG you could get by on 3 or 4 rogue dens plus troops that you win various places (GE, PVP arena, GBG, daily incident chests all hand out troops like candy) and collect from event buildings, especially knights pavilion at 2x2 is pretty close to making Traz and troop barracks in general obsolete.

Last edited:

Nidwin

Sergeant
CoA and CC are still solid and nowhere close to be obsolete. IT would still be fine at 42fps at level 70 for 6x6 tiles but the problem with this GB is to get your hands on those BP's to get it to level 70 to start with.

Knight of ICE

Even a "poor" day in GBG nets me 200-400 FPS, it makes the payout from Cape very weak - and that's space I could use to put an event building that gets me more boosts plus all the other things I need rather than "just" Forge Points.

Use a 300% attack boost in GBG and see how much further that gets you.

I still have my Inno Tower, at lvl 80 = 48 fps. But it's definitely on the delete list when I need more space. Or my lvl 80 Hagia, also 48 fps. I can easily do without those fps. I have plenty. Fps have become almost as abundant as coins and supplies.
The pop and happiness those GB's give? Well, I have about 500k pop and 900k happiness in surplus. :lol:

Last edited:

Ariana Erosaire

Chief Warrant Officer
Or my lvl 80 Hagia, also 48 fps. I can easily do without those fps. I have plenty. Fps have become almost as abundant as coins and supplies.
FPS have been really downgraded in value, they're too easy to get in high quantities, when your city makes 1000+ per day and up, and you make another 200-400 in winnings from Himeji/SC, and another 200-400 in winnings from GBG, it really changes how you view anything that you used to have mainly for producing forge points.

I deleted Hagia 3 or 4 years ago. Inno Tower hurt me a little more to delete, but I had to realize it's on the scrap heap of history now. Cape is probably next, because I need more FPS at this point like I need a hole in the head (aka not at all, despite how hole-y my head may seem to be lol.)

numbrcrunchr

Master Corporal
Yes with time the GBs that mostly provide extra fps with little else of use are slowly going to go by the wayside. It can be tricky if a player has overcapitalised on one of those GBs. For example, a high ranking FE player in M world has their Hagia at level 173 which suggest that they may never get their return on their investment and it would be too emotionally difficult to delete it at that level. I deleted mine at level 70 and my calculations showed that it delivered a nice return on investment over the longer term so I didn't feel so bad about deleting it.

DJ of BA

Sergeant
The majority of GBs are rapidly becoming redundant ( given their original purpose at the time they went live), and there is already a long list of them that players really should never build, but everything hinges on you the player, its down to your wants and needs, style of play, short and long term goals, space in your city and where you are in respect to eras ect, perhaps its time for INNO to consider a sort of GB Golden upgrade to make GBs worth building in the first place, to increase the value and use of those already built and to make them desirable to own and to level again.

Ariana Erosaire

Chief Warrant Officer
The majority of GBs are rapidly becoming redundant ( given their original purpose at the time they went live), and there is already a long list of them that players really should never build, but everything hinges on you the player, its down to your wants and needs, style of play, short and long term goals, space in your city and where you are in respect to eras ect, perhaps its time for INNO to consider a sort of GB Golden upgrade to make GBs worth building in the first place, to increase the value and use of those already built and to make them desirable to own and to level again.
Yeah GB's are quickly becoming not great at all. level 70 cape deleted from city today, and level 58 kraken soon to join it after next collection. the event buildings from 2023 are better than almost all the GB's in the game, certainly any of the older GB's that were released prior to 2020 under a completely different game/balancing. For that matter the tavern hasn't had an upgrade since 2016/2017 and is seriously outdated in what it offers.

And the 2023 event buildings reproduce to make more of themselves; we're headed for a moment in a few months where spawned event buildings will take over most cities, if not already. I don't think anyone thought this through, but let the wrecking ball roll on.

Deleted member 127677

I have always found a reason to hang on to GBs that I had once built, the two exceptions until last night were St Marks for size and use, as well as Star Gazer which was in hindsight a horribly inefficient investment even back then. But I see no reason anymore to have Hagia or Inno, so finally parted with them after nearly 6 years, been pure profit for most of this time now but the efficiency is just not there anymore. My further list is LoA, Basil (which I hung on to and found myself happy since blue stats actually became useful but now it’s poor compared to any decent event building), CoA, TT, AM, Babel… Doesn’t leave much. I am advising young players not to build any attack except Zeus, focus on what was considered ‘candy’ before. What is the point of keeping all of these on the roster if they are so obsolete that a new player can get a decent city (better) after 2 weeks of game play in an event than after a year or several of playing the way the game was designed?

=CRS

Private
So many GB are obsolete, the list is way longer than ones that still work for the space. And now an Era that releases 3 brand new GB, this borderlines on ridiculous when the game has so many already that could use a tune up. At least older GB had an authentic look based on history and RL, all 3 SaT look identical to me at a glance. There seems to be a race to create new and improved content which I know you have to do in order to keep interest but I believe if it continues as many say more and more GB will become obsolete for more developed again furthering the gap for developing players. There needs to be balance, Mu Sha ..Hope for the Best 2024

Nidwin

Sergeant
I actually like it because it gives players options and it gets us out of established meta playing that often pushes players to put up and level GB's they simply don't enjoy.

A lot of GB's are still fine and helpful during our FoE journey but now some will stay in your city and others will vanish at some point in time and that's a good thing for the game and the FoE experience. I enjoyed my RFP (110), SV (85), FI (45), CoA (70) and Arc (80) in many ways and they served me well. Only the Arc is still there because it's a power horse in many ways but the others are gone now.