• Dear forum reader,
    To actively participate in our forum discussions or to start your own threads, in addition to your game account, you need a forum account. You can
    REGISTER HERE!
    Please ensure a translation into English is provided if your post is not in English and to respect your fellow players when posting.
  • We are looking for you!
    Always wanted to join our Support or Forum Team? We are looking for enthusiastic moderators!
    Take a look at our recruitment page for more information and how you can apply:
    Apply
  • Forum Contests

Won't you join us for out latest contest?
    You can check out the newest one here.

Which is best?

DeletedUser

Berserker or Heavy Infantry?

Berserker is 20 Attack 16 Defence
Heavy Infantry is 15 Attack 22 Defence

I want to know which will be best in terms of getting rid of the opposition WITHOUT losing many men, because as you know each man takes 2 hours to replace.

I don't mind even if they were on their last legs injured wise - just as long as they don't die.

DeletedUser

Hey lee1985,

It really depends on what you're facing and your playing style, but in my opinion the Berserkers are the better option.
They are strong, fast, have decent defense and are able to kite around a bit.
Against Cavalry they get a attack/defence bonus and they are really fast across the field for Long Range threats.

Just to note: It takes 4 hours to replace a unit after Archers (Iron Age).

- L

DeletedUser

Which is better?

Crossbowmen and Catapults. Or Trebuchet instead of Catapults, if you have them, but I'm going to guess you're not quite that far as yet since you're asking about the other HMA units.

I didn't build any Iron Age, EMA, or HMA melee units and I did just fine. Though I've been around the top of my neighborhood, so I was usually getting attacked by units below my level. If you think you do need the hand-to-hand troops for defense, then I think I'd I agree with Lodroth, the light melee have given me more trouble due to their speed.

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser

You have to take into account that this is a new era in means of combat for the game.
8 Archers Win is not longer viable, at all. Sure, you can still use them, but unless you get really lucky with your map, you're going to lose or lose 7 archers.
Crossbowmen have a far too short range to be really useful. Every battle you will be losing 1 or 2 at least, and since the OP wanted as least losses as possible, I wouldn't recommend them.

But I must agree on long range, 8 Catapults destroy everything of the EMA and lower. 8 Trebuchets follow after that for HMA and lower.
Against LMA you're still getting your behind kicked if you're using HMA, not quite a good balance transition in units, but it is doable, as long as you accept you're going to have losses.

- L

DeletedUser653

But I must agree on long range, 8 Catapults destroy everything of the EMA and lower. 8 Trebuchets follow after that for HMA and lower.
.....- L

Afraid not, 8 Trebuchats are beaten by knights they get losses but get into the trebuchets before they take too much damage.

DeletedUser

Well, I did say in my original reply that it depends on what you're facing.
As long as you're not facing more than 3 knights at the time (in combination with other things), I can usually take everything out with either 1 Trebuchet loss or only 1 hit in, though.

- L

DeletedUser

You have to take into account that this is a new era in means of combat for the game.
8 Archers Win is not longer viable, at all. Sure, you can still use them, but unless you get really lucky with your map, you're going to lose or lose 7 archers.
Against LMA you're still getting your behind kicked if you're using HMA, not quite a good balance transition in units, but it is doable, as long as you accept you're going to have losses.

Who's talking about using 8 Archers? I wasn't. Or do you mean "short range in general"? If so, I also wasn't suggesting 8 short range units, but rather a mix of long and short range. I've still been having success on the LMA map with this setup. A combination of Longbows and Trebuchets has been able to clear any sector that doesn't have more than 2 cannons with little losses. I rather doubt I'd have taken fewer losses if I'd used more hand-to-hand units, the AI seems to gang up on the weakened units, so when the infantry engages, it tends to then get swarmed.

Yes, I found the LMA troops to shred my HMA armies when they can engage, though I don't think that really applies here. If lee1985 had LMA troops, he probably wouldn't be asking about HMA troops. I assume he's trying to put together the best army that he can at his point of progress to minimize troop loss.